Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2016 Paris

Some ideas were not so bad, but frankly speaking all they had nothing to do with Dior House codes. They were more lickely to be seen at Lanvin, Louis Vuitton, etc...

In a situation in which the house Dior is now, it wasn't THAT bad collection, how many of you says. Yes, it was much more about ideas than the execution. Yes, it wasn't couture. And yes, they tried to speak in "Raf for Dior" language - which was nice - but failed. But there is another issue, the biggest one: "let's copy some of someone's ideas of the past and no one will notice". Or maybe it's because these young bunch of designers grown up with Prada, Celine etc. Overall it feels ok, now, a bit undone, but Dior couture? Definitely not. More liky NYFW.

It was interesting to see how they tried to keep this "new spirit" that Raf gave to the house by modern venue and some other touches. Dior needs a complete makeover, someone who will have absolute control about the house, campaigns, venue. It can't be "modern dior like raf was doing it" by someone else. With Raf gone other people too: Willy, Olivier Rizzo, Michel Gaulbert...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this was more appealing than any of the HC , Raf has done, which is was too clinical and boring. That being said it looks like a cross between Vuitton and Proenza Schouler RTW in NYC lol.

See, Bill Gaytten's take on couture wasn't so bad after all.

Really?:lol::lol:
Christian+Dior+Fall+2011+FnLSdqS0Fnrl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2011+FPI-yrweOinl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2011+-1Z5ZdmsJtal.jpg

livingly

It's so funny how on a rare occasion we all agree that this is just not a good collection - from comments raging from "hideous" to "not that bad, but still not good" - and most of the critics (Vanessa Friedman excluded) are praising this. It's sort of appalling.

Dior buys so much advertising space in a lot major publications I don't think any critic writing for them would dare write anything negative...even if it's plainly obvious to the public how bad this collection is.

The new abnormal normal. GENIUS!!!!!

It was neither the new abnormal nor the new normal but maybe the new abnormal normal. It’s not a revolution, but in fashion, given the current state of designer churn, it may actually turn out to be a thing.

By VANESSA FRIEDMAN for the NYTimes

That's not what I had in mind. I do recall him having a small batch of decent dresses during his brief tenure..Galliano in look, definitely, but decent nonetheless.
But I think those Gaytten outfits in your post are so, so bad, that they actually wind up being good in the end.

It is a horrible collection.
Yes, i had the same feeling, all this very similar to Vêtements. And, sincerely, for me Vêtements is not a cool street-style wear, i don't like Vêtements and i'll not wear it. I don't know why so many people find it cool, creative, innovative, , Demna had luck with his Vêtements , the prices are too expensive but why not, if the people want wear it and ready to pay so let make the prices high.
It seems that this two designers, aren't they designers?think yes.they are, but who cares at leastabout their skills and where they worked before if they haven't any talent - so they find their inspirations in Demna's Vêtements ,in Proenza Schouler and maybe some ideas or maybe replicas from Dior archives.
The result- ugly collection.
It is bad, it is bad as ready-to-wear, so as haute Couture is No-Go. The cast is horrible . All is horrible.

Maybe in this case the critics are writing some kind of meaningless sentences - articles, because there are two unknown persons behind this collection and they haven't any choice, they tried to do their best , they are not talented enough to design haute couture collection for Dior.
I'm sure that Raf Simons has nothing more with Dior, he is surely not a consultant. It has no sense, it can't be true. IMO.

People, remember Dior is a HUGE advertiser, no wonder why the critics HAD to take it easy on the house (they pay their bills, LITERALLY)

Now, they just uploaded the video on youtube,

And at a second glance, the fitting is terrible (which Suzy mentioned) but I think the strategy for the team was to do red carpet dresses?

Please look at the collection carefully because we will see this or versions of these dresses soon.

Ps I dont get all that lace. Like for realz, WTF?
PPS. I saw the venue. Mirrors. Just like the collection: -smoke and- mirrors.

That's not what I had in mind. I do recall him having a small batch of decent dresses during his brief tenure..Galliano in look, definitely, but decent nonetheless.
But I think those Gaytten outfits in your post are so, so bad, that they actually wind up being good in the end.
Not to mention that they're flawlessly crafted, doofy as they are too look at :lol:

Painfully bad, how they allowed this on the runway, is just....shocking!

It really shows how distressed the company is now without a true creative director in place, I don't think it's a terrible collection, and there's some interesting pieces here and there but the overall collection doesn't give off a very haute-vibe to me, it is modern but Haute Couture is about that cool mix, which Karl really hit this season at Chanel.

This is beyond fantastic. Reminicent of indeed but great strategy of keeping the original signature of Dior, the minimal and structured silhouette yet adding a touch of glam and detail/volume.

it's far from being as bad as almost everybody here says, and very interesting that it inspires such hate . it's a little bit less clinical and forced than Raf, which to me is a good thing , and while I don't love it I prefer it to a lot of the other more classic and stale couture collections.

This is so bad. It's like they just threw fabric on a form, pinned it, sewed it and called it a look!

f6c554c0-9527-0132-4433-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

LOL... love that quote.... What is strange is that Dior is known for having one
of the greatest atelier in Paris... I think it has a lot to do with culture , the younger generation today dont know how to construct, and you can have the best team to execute , but if you dont know how to select fabrics ore manipulate them you get this kind of result, I am sure the atelier has not been happy, HC is a dying art and there is a proudness in the few French houses that still can master it.

Wonderful.. what a joy to watch
My interest held at every time, nothing drawn out so long

I think their video is so fast. Unlike chanel which has good pacing x)

Just wanted to share a part of a post-Oscars article where Leslie Fremar, Charlize Theron's stylist, explains the design process of the dress she wore. Interesting to see how the current state of the house of Dior extends to customer relations as well. Leslie doesn't sound very pleased with the process.

The dress was then flown to Los Angeles and fit on Theron almost three weeks before the show. “It really needed work,” said Fremar. “Some of the proportions were off, so there were going to be new panels cut. We’re not going to change the aesthetic of the dress, but there were some fit issues that we’re going to go back and modify,” she continued... “Hopefully we’ll be closer. If we feel good on Wednesday, we’ll just fit one final time on Saturday. But I have a feeling we’ll end up fitting Friday as well,” said Fremar.

Also here is the original sketch of the dress Dior's team sent. Looks like they couldn't fit and execute the neckline properly so they agreed to switch for a simpler one.

Oscar_Dress_1_500x662.jpg

businessoffashion.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zendayacomz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->