Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2024 Paris

as a huge MGC hater I want to say this is her best collection for Christian Dior.

I viewed this collection a few times and digested it over time. This collection actually allows me to see MGCs vision. This is a celebration of seam and fabric. The most pure celebration. Like acapella or jazz. Contemporary Minimalism

Theres no question about Marias mastery of construction. The way these clothes move is a testament to her superlative grasp of seam and fabric. Look 4 or 5 is a nude sheer gown with black crystal embroidery - absolutely glorious movement. Further down the collection the mundane tan A line skirt moves like a dream due to the masterful pleat placement. That entire tan taffeta section was luxurious feeling. In motion they look like an Haute Couture garment.

The over-use of material in slab like lapels on a grey tweed top screams Dior. The blue moire jacket with semi cylinders on the back was probably the most innovative look shes ever put out at Dior HC. That too screamed Dior. The red moire suit and dress before that though were very heavy and dated. However they were screaming Dior.

Exuberant fabric useage seems like something Maria had to ease into. The razor sharp gathers shown on many looks is Maria really embracing the Dior silhouette in total. Such fine fine gathers done on a range of materials really highlights the exceptional construction abilities of Dior Atelier. The care that goes into creating such fine pleats is a work of love.

The precious ribbon-waisted chiffon dresses were the best iteration of this silhouette. A must have and should be in all magazines. There was also a bell sleeve coat dress that was giving Oscar de la Renta - CD cant ever look like the people that are inspired by it.

I appreciate the reduction of embroideried pieces. MGC relied on the embroidery to actually differentiate the otherwise uniform collections. Mary Grace actually gave us shapes and propositions that belong to the House of Christian Dior.

Definitely her best. This is gorgeous in a Billie Holiday in a cigar smoke filled golden era lounge in NYC way. However a superbrand like Dior needs a pop star designer. We need the designer equivalent of selling out arenas worldwide. Maria needs to be more in the moment to truly be right for Dior. While this is a huge improvement and this actually looks like a Dior collection - which is the bare minimum IMO. Dior still needs a position of leadership in styles and trends.

it's a very "commercial" collection, with great emphasis on exquisite fabrics but what still amazes me is the awful show. why bother when nobody really gives a damn about it? a more discreet presentation would do, or a lookbook with detailed images perhaps?

it's a very "commercial" collection, with great emphasis on exquisite fabrics but what still amazes me is the awful show. why bother when nobody really gives a damn about it? a more discreet presentation would do, or a lookbook with detailed images perhaps?
Women buying this very much care about going to the show.

fair points, but from a perspective of fashion history, the show was extremely uneventful. nobody will remember the clothes or the spectacle.

On top of what @Nimsay and @tourbillions said, you also have to remember that Couture is profitable for a lot of houses now. More than a Marketing exercise on a larger scale, it’s also the start of a series of events, on a smaller scale, specifically prepared for those clients.
Chanel and Dior probably more than other brands have invested in the idea of an experience surrounding the shows!

And it’s through those experiences that the clientele would stay at the Hotel Cheval Blanc when they comes to Paris or buy Victoire De Castellane’s Haute Joaillerie pieces.

Mind you those women are rich and the « free » experience they get from Dior doesn’t match what they spend but it’s something special they likes…I mean who wouldn’t.

Now, does every fashion show or tenure needs to be eventful in terms of fashion history?
In a way, I think that what is happening at Dior, Chanel and Couture houses that are selling clothes is rather interesting now. We are in a commercial era, not led by creativity (because for me if Couture is not wearable it’s irrelevant).

Maybe we will look at MGC’s period for Dior with a fresh eye once she leaves.

even with some interesting pieces it’s still boring af
what an array of dullness

On top of what @Nimsay and @tourbillions said, you also have to remember that Couture is profitable for a lot of houses now. More than a Marketing exercise on a larger scale, it’s also the start of a series of events, on a smaller scale, specifically prepared for those clients.
Chanel and Dior probably more than other brands have invested in the idea of an experience surrounding the shows!

And it’s through those experiences that the clientele would stay at the Hotel Cheval Blanc when they comes to Paris or buy Victoire De Castellane’s Haute Joaillerie pieces.

Mind you those women are rich and the « free » experience they get from Dior doesn’t match what they spend but it’s something special they likes…I mean who wouldn’t.

Now, does every fashion show or tenure needs to be eventful in terms of fashion history?
In a way, I think that what is happening at Dior, Chanel and Couture houses that are selling clothes is rather interesting now. We are in a commercial era, not led by creativity (because for me if Couture is not wearable it’s irrelevant).

Maybe we will look at MGC’s period for Dior with a fresh eye once she leaves.
clearly you have a better insight into these affairs, so what you mention makes perfect sense. i can only judge from a perspective of a fashion fan who is obviously not a dior customer – creativity and the artistic universe dior designers create and the impression the shows these days leave on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->