Christopher Kane S/S 2020 London

My favorite Christopher Kane collection in a long time! Full of ideas! Great cut and quality and finally, the gimmick has to do with the clothes and not with some weird pretentious styling stuff (the crocs).
This collection makes me miss him at Versus!
Very very strong Christopher Kane collection. BRAVO!

I think this collection made me finally realize what is wrong with his brand:

He doesn’t offer a “silhouette” anymore. He only provides a seasonal print/graphic and a “treatment” (here it being bringing back the gel patches). But at this point it’s just decorative. There’s not substance or conviction. Furthermore, in his early days, a collection would be focused around one gimmick (and I don’t mean that word in a negative way) - it was gingham one season, it was paillettes another, it was flocked velvet, it was neon lace, it was shredded denim, etc. etc. Focused.

But here you’ve got a sexy dress, then next you have a very conservative dress, then you have a tailored suit, then you have an oversized sweatshirt, you’ve got ostrich feathers, you have gel patches,
you have galaxy prints, etc. etc. It’s way too much.

It feels chaotic and non-authoritative.

He always has good ideas, but he’s been losing the plot the last few years and I think I finally can put my finger on what’s gone wrong. That lack of a decisive silhouette and the inclusion of too many gimmicks really is a problem.

It's a very 'Kane' collection with all of his signature elements and motifs, however it feels quite unrefined. It looks a bit like he tried shove everything he could into the collection.

Not really my kind of clothes. They look better as costumes for drag queens than a collection to me.

This is the problem when you've made your name being a "trendy" designer...one day you'll be out of sync with what's cool. Unfortunately that fate has befallen Chris Kane; this collection looks like something out of 2014.

He has produced some excellent work over the past decade, but now it's time to really solidify a more distinct, mature direction for the brand if it's to go the distance in the future.

As a man I would love to try on many of the sweatshirts and shirts, they look fun...other than that there's too much going on those skirt suits out of Diana's 80's closet, the feathers and the florals do not read as essential nor do they make an statement of any kind. I agree that his magpie approach makes it harder to read his collections.

I love the pencil skirt with the off the shoulder sweater, really chic. He should try that more...

there are some nicely cut jackets in this collection, particularly the black tuxedo ones, but even some of the printed pieces. otherwise, yeah - too much going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->