Clare Waight Keller - Designer, Creative Director of Uniqlo

^We definitely are in the worst period for fashion EVER. At least before we had Phoebe, but now?

Maria Grazia, who is probably the most untalented person ever at a fashion house, Virginie, the new Celine, YSL... All in Paris has gone real wrong.

I'm just imagine they will hire someone like Virgil and turn Givenchy into streetwear nightmare brand.

I was a champion for Clare but I think her time's up. While her work are really wonderful and I would wear lots of it, they never come together. Her glorious last collection was a great swan song. She needed to much time to build and the industry has changed so much. With her talent and skills and quite a marketing resume, she can lead any house now. Heck, she would do better job than Virginie at Chanel.

This situation is bittersweet. I wasn't impressed with her tenure because she never made an impact. However, I became interested in her after her Fall 2020 collection. She finally showed promise. It's unfortunate that it turned out to be a case of "too little too late". Maria Grazia must practice some kind of dark witchcraft. How that woman is still employed is just beyond me.

The whole situation would have been better if she could make some successful IT bags like Drew and Faye she did for Chloe....She needs a strong accessory team as her wings lol

Maria Grazia must practice some kind of dark witchcraft. How that woman is still employed is just beyond me.

Everything she does sells like crazy. That's it. That's the only thing a fashion house takes into consideration.

If Clare would've sell half of what MGC is selling, she would have stayed.

These days it's all JUST about numbers.

Isn't Christian Dior too big and well established to fail? With the right amount of marketing dollars there's no stoping them from making hits out off any silly old accesory that Maria Grazia puts out.

Givenchy on the other hand...

^^
It’s insane to think that you can be close to 1billion is still be in danger.
I don’t know if the lack of success of Clare is a message on the fact that the product is what matters after all. She dressed one of the most famous woman in the world and yet it did not had the same impact as it did for McQueen.

The whole situation would have been better if she could make some successful IT bags like Drew and Faye she did for Chloe....She needs a strong accessory team as her wings lol

Her bags were great tbh. The GV3 and the mystic are great bags. If she had the fashion to support those bags, it would have been perfect. If her RTW followed the vision of her modern Couture, it would have been stronger. She could have maintained the sales.

This situation is bittersweet. I wasn't impressed with her tenure because she never made an impact. However, I became interested in her after her Fall 2020 collection. She finally showed promise. It's unfortunate that it turned out to be a case of "too little too late". Maria Grazia must practice some kind of dark witchcraft. How that woman is still employed is just beyond me.

MGC’s Dior is easy to understand, easy to market and easy to sell. She just have to change themes each seasons and women buys. It’s not even about marketing tbh. The marketing can help them sell the bags but it’s a very basic idea of fashion. Her stuff is safe and familiar...easily approachable.

It is unfortunate because I loved her Fall / Winter 20/21 collection, it was chic and modern and had quite the strong message but I feel it was just all over the place the seasons before. Not to mention her menswear was just non-existent: there was nothing strong or identifiable about it. Though again, it is very difficult to establish a strong menswear after what Ricardo did for the house. Like it or not, his menswear sold like hotcakes and was easy to wear and understand.

After those appalling campaigns she did, good riddance I say.

Isn't Christian Dior too big and well established to fail? With the right amount of marketing dollars there's no stoping them from making hits out off any silly old accesory that Maria Grazia puts out.

Well, actually Dior is not even among the 5 most important and profitable luxury brands. And some brands that are in that Top 5 do fail and are negative during months and one of them even during years.

So yes, you can be established and fail. And you can be way more established than Dior.

What MGC has been able to do at Dior in terms of numbers is absolutely crazy. I can't even think of a Dior bag I'd like to own if I were a girl, not even a pair of shoes. So she really managed to talk directly to the rich women around the world, that at the end of the day are who actually purchase the products, but they have no taste or fashion knowledge whatsoever, and her Dior is just a reflection of that.

Not surprised. She is undeniably a talented designer but when it comes to LVMH you have to play the commercial game perfectly. They want superstar designers with a leading and communicative vision. I don t remember having heard CWK's voice or sense her vision during her time at Givenchy.

I would love to see her at Burberry though.

Clare Waight Keller Said Doing a Collection for Uniqlo: Sources

The British designer boasts a track record of aristocratic femininity at Givenchy, and sophisticated bohemian chic at Chloé.

By Miles Socha

Designer Clare Waight Keller, largely absent from the fashion scene since parting ways with Givenchy three years ago, has been quietly working on a collection for Uniqlo, sources told WWD.

It is understood her first designs for the Japanese fashion chain will reach stores as early as this fall.

Contacted by WWD late last week, a spokesman for Uniqlo parent Fast Retailing Co. Ltd. said “we cannot confirm any new projects or collections at this time.”

Additional particulars about Waight Keller’s designs and the launch plan could not immediately be learned.

The British designer would join an illustrious clutch of designers that have collaborated with Uniqlo, including Jil Sander, Jonathan Anderson, Christophe Lemaire, Tomas Maier and Undercover’s Jun Takahashi and Inès de la Fressange. These talents have helped nudge the brand beyond its core casualwear focus with tailoring, dresses and statement outerwear.

To be sure, Waight Keller would bring a wealth of experience from her varied fashion career.

She was the first woman to lead Givenchy since it was established in 1952, and catapulted the brand’s international prominence — and her own — by dressing Meghan Markle for her royal nuptials in 2018.

Among Waight Keller’s key accomplishments at that storied house was bringing couture back to the runway — and fueling the Givenchy’s momentum on the red carpet, dressing the likes of Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga.

During an eventful, three-year stint, she plied a tasteful, aristocratic brand of couture occasionally spiked with toughness or subversion.

Waight Keller scored the British designer of the year award for women’s wear at the 2018 Fashion Awards in London, and made the Time 100 List list in 2019.

The designer had joined Givenchy in 2017 after an acclaimed six-year tenure at Chloé. Before that, she spent six years designing Pringle of Scotland.

A calm, soft-spoken woman with a ready smile, Waight Keller brought a sure and steady hand while at Chloé, rejuvenating its ready-to-wear and accessories business and winning largely positive reviews for her collections.

Boasting a strong background in knitwear and men’s wear, Waight Keller served as senior women’s designer at Gucci during the Tom Ford era, and had also worked at Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein earlier in her career.

Uniqlo operates some 2,400 stores around the world, and Fast Retailing’s chief Tadashi Yanai has ambitions to be the largest apparel retailer in the world.

from wwd.com

^ It's still better to work with Uniqlo than with H&M tho. I think her pragmatic approach to design may be a major advantage here. Her clothes are always really good and very down-to-earth in their character. That's why I suspect creating haute couture was a struggle for Clare, even if her cut was always on point. I must say, I'm genuinely excited for the final outcome, if the news is true of course. At least they've found a real designer and not someone trying to push their overhyped catsuits all the time.

I respect that!
It shows a great sense of humility to do that. It’s not easy, when you have been a creative director of an important brand to have a kind of lower position but with Uniqlo, it’s what you make out of it.
We saw what it has done for Lemaire or Ines de La Fressange. Thanks to that collaboration, they were able to relaunch their own brand in a major way.

It will also make her focus on her aesthetic.

Somehow she reminds me a lot of Vanessa Seward who had the same kind of path after Azzaro, after coming from the YSL studio under Tom Ford.

I respect that!
It shows a great sense of humility to do that. It’s not easy, when you have been a creative director of an important brand to have a kind of lower position but with Uniqlo, it’s what you make out of it.
We saw what it has done for Lemaire or Ines de La Fressange. Thanks to that collaboration, they were able to relaunch their own brand in a major way.

It will also make her focus on her aesthetic.

Somehow she reminds me a lot of Vanessa Seward who had the same kind of path after Azzaro, after coming from the YSL studio under Tom Ford.

It was actually Lacoste and Hermes that helped Lemaire relaunch.

I really learned to not look at labels anymore, but the hard way.
When you hear Demna droning on about how sophisticated the cut of his sweatshirts is - the usual load of bull***t to justify the outrageous price - and then see how actually ingenious the cut of a simple +J t-shirt is for €14, you learn to use your own eyes and give brands the respect they deserve (not much, in general).
In CWK's shoes, I'd find more prestige in following Jil's path than Matthew Williams's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->