Cleansing Skin, is Toner a necessity ?

Valentina

Reaction score
Whats the point of using toner after cleansing? Is it because it closes the pores? But doesnt cool water have the same effect? I think its a waste of money, so please enlighten me.

2nd question, cleansing milk. I used to get spots on my face, i still do, but very few, so I went to a derm in Rome, she gave me cleansing milk, and anti blemish cream, but one that you put on the whole face, in a few weeks my skin cleared up totally! The thing is, Im in South Africa now and the products she gave me arent sold here, so Im wondering if it was the cleansing milk that improved my face, maybe because its less harsh? Maybe it was the make (dont remeber the name but the cleanser was 60 euro :o I dont know, anyway now some spots are back and Im wondering if any of you have some good suggestions on cleansing milk, which of you use it, why, and which make? Also, is it okay for combination skin?

Please help, Im a very confused puppy....

Toner is an optional step.
Some say it's essential for removing all traces of your cleanser.. while others say it doesnt really make a difference.

I use one which is contains 0.5% BHA and is alcohol-free and I am quite happy with it.

What do you mean by spots? blemishes or sunspots?

I use cleansing milk in winter (Sisley Cleansing milk with sage) because I find it's gentler for my skin (which tends to be more dehydrated in winter)

By spots I mean blemishes, hmmmm, so I was right about the toner, I dont really need it, thanx :smile:

i found that my toner removes any excess makeup/oil that my facial cleanser doesn't get. it's not for everyone, but i like it & notice that my face feels better if i use one.

as for cleansing milks go, i think they're great for removing makeup. i used to use one by Clarins & applied it to my skin, then tissued off the makeup. quite gentle & my skin did clear up nicely.

if you have access to Shu Uemura, you might want to try one of his cleansing oils. i tried this & found that it performed the same way as the cleansing milk did. some people like olive oil (DHC makes one), which is another alternative; just be sure it's extra virgin.

Originally posted by kealoha@Nov 6 2004, 06:23 AM
if you have access to Shu Uemura, you might want to try one of his cleansing oils. i tried this & found that it performed the same way as the cleansing milk did. some people like olive oil (DHC makes one), which is another alternative; just be sure it's extra virgin.
[snapback]420293[/snapback]​

big rave for Shu Cleansing Oil. I use the Light one and it's amazing.. removes every single trace of makeup, even waterproof mascara in a flash. and while it is an oil, it rinses clean very effectively to leave a soft, smooth, residue-free finish

i FLIPPIN love Shu's oils...HOWEVER, not gonna lie, just started using MAC's version....and it does JUST the same for way less. =(

No, but if you don't, you'll end up with an ever-widening toner-to-cleanser ratio gap, like I've got five bottles of toner chilling in my fridge whose matching cleansers got used up ages ago. I've got a L'Occitane Immortelle toner, a Pangea Organics toner, a bottle each of Santa Maria Novella rose and orange flower water, plus two frightening herbal concoctions I made of witchhazel, hydrogen peroxide, geranium flowers, and yarrow leaves.

Don't end up like me, with a fridge full of beauty products. Tone, twice a day!

^ ohh.. then does it really matter if i use separate brand for toner & cleanser?
At the moment, i'm using a Lush charcoal cleansing soap and the clinique toner?

Thankz for the tip :flower:

^AGREED! I got the worst rash type thing on my cheeks...urgh!

My dermatologist said if you NEED to then use a toner, other than that, it's really not necessary.

No, but if you don't, you'll end up with an ever-widening toner-to-cleanser ratio gap, like I've got five bottles of toner chilling in my fridge whose matching cleansers got used up ages ago. I've got a L'Occitane Immortelle toner, a Pangea Organics toner, a bottle each of Santa Maria Novella rose and orange flower water, plus two frightening herbal concoctions I made of witchhazel, hydrogen peroxide, geranium flowers, and yarrow leaves.

Don't end up like me, with a fridge full of beauty products. Tone, twice a day!
:lol: L'Occitane Immortelle is my favorite cleanser in the world; I've never tried the toner. I currently have ONE drugstore-brand toner that was meant to replace my bottles of straight hydrogen peroxide/witch hazel, the first which I gargled away and the other that I found somewhat useless... :ninja: I'm not sure where I'm going with this, 'cept maybe don't reverse the two and gargle your witch hazel... :unsure:

how do you knoe if u need to use toners?

but when i use a toner and wipe it over my face with a cotton pad, i find dirt on the pad after! so it seems like a good idea....

I use the Korres Milk proteins 3 in 1 cleanser which cleanses and tones at the same time and I am very satisfied by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->