Collaborative/Interactive art

Marvystone

blue blue electric blue
Reaction score
I guess this is kind of a thread for art where the 'public' as such as is asked to interact or collaborate in some way, which seems to be a new phenomenon in the 21st Century.^_^

Examples:

Illegal Art
Illegal Art, started in the summer of 2001, is a collaborative of artists whose goal is to create interactive public art to inspire self-reflection, thought and human connection. Each piece is then presented or distributed in a method in which participation is simple and encouraged.
2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

God is a 27'' X 36'' (70CM X 92 CM) poster that features the word "God" with a comma and a background reminiscent of school children's writing paper. The piece is posted in public spaces. This open format encourages the public to finish the sentence; it is their own interpretation and response to this provocative word.
1.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

16.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

From the refrigerator to the computer screen, from the purse to the bedroom door, to- do lists, commands, reminders, mantras and more have graced these tiny 3x3 inch squares all over the globe.
illegalart

More examples by Illegal Art:
2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Personal Space is a yellow non-adhesive barrier tape normally used at crime scenes and areas of construction. Instead of "CAUTION" or "DO NOT CROSS" it is printed "PERSONAL SPACE". The tape is installed in areas where pedestrians can use and interpret the designated personal space any way they see to fit their needs: to take space, have a private moment with others, contemplate their lack of space in their office, home, community, city, or life or laugh and many other ways as well.
7.jpg

12.jpg

22.jpg

For the Month of May, 2006, Illegal Art created In Complete, an unfinished sentence painted onto the window display of The Apartment at 101 Crosby Street in Manhattan.

The sentence, written as:

I ___________________because____________ makes me_____________and_______________.

was meant to encourage the passerby to finish the sentence, add on to what other’s had written, or erase it and start over. Some people emoted, some wrote sadness and others used it as a means to express daily frustrations or fantasies. And of course, bucket of colorful chalk and sponge were provided.
illegalart

The Postman’s Decision Is Final is a small performance using the postal system, a game of chance or a gentle hello to the postman. Two postcards are stuck together so that only the address sides are showing. Each side is stamped and addressed to two different people, then posted. Somewhere along the line a decision is made as to which person receives the card.

Dan Rees (Artist) in Berlin (Germany) from Re-title.com

Dan-Rees-5.gif

re-title

i remember back then at tFS .francesca organised a little thing where we collaborate with another member, creating a postcard and then sending it to their gallery in Nova Scotia.. it was wonderful and they posted the samples on a blog-- it might had been put together as a show

"mail art"

there's quite a few people doing these

-----

another kind of mail art was an American artist who wove a tapestry filled controversial imagery.. it was mostly a nude, i think and it was cut up and sent to various people around the globe. i can't remember the artist's name but all the people who received the cut pieces mailed it to a gallery in NYC where they were all reassembled to form the complete tapestry...
it was this idea of censorship and crossing boundaries. certain countries the tapestry pieces were sent to had a ban on nudity and it was interesting that since it was only a piece and could hardly depict the nudity 100% it wasn't taken by the authorities or anything like that...

:ermm:

I really enjoy this new trend...

Here, the the post office is trying to create Ireland's biggest collective art exhibition by delivering everyone postcards, to be sent back designed...

Before in Prague I did this buy a brick for flood victims thing...

prague-bricks-big.jpg

They had a lovely version of this at a music/art festival I was at.. a dream tree, but with lots of nice materials to be used on it.

wallpiano2.jpg

The Wall Piano is the work of Hon Lam Li (Patrick to his friends), who has just graduated from the London College of Communications’ Interactive Design BA. Watch a video of it in action here
We got in touch with Patrick to find out more:

CR: How does the Wall Piano work exactly?
P: There are two microphones attached on the wall surface. Those microphones are acting like human ears for the computer. Therefore, the computer is able to hear people who tap/bang on the wall. The program that I made could translate those hits into piano keys.
It all depends on how hard you hit the wall. The lower key will be produced when you hit it harder; and the higher key will be produced when you hit it softer. Just like every other modern piano, it has 88 keys.

CR: What inspired you to do it?
P: The original concept was partly from my childhood. I didn’t have many toys to play with when I was little. Both my parents were working all day long. I stayed at home with my grandparents all the time watching telly. There was a blank wall beside the TV set. I always wanted to know how to play the piano and I liked to pretend to play when there was piano music on the telly. Man… I was weird.
I was thinking that it could be much more fun to play piano on the wall and dance on the floor at the same time. That’s how I got my first concept for my Wall Piano. About 15 years later, I realized I had the skills to make it become possible.
CR: What are your plans now? What do you hope to be doing in the future?
P: I am looking for job in London right now. I hope I can do more sound and visual projects, maybe working on installations for galleries or museums.
My friend and I have created a freelance company called Sounds Butter. We would like to collaborate with different artists or designers but we are still at the beginning. The web site is not done yet, but you can still check out our Catalog page here

wallpiano2-closeup.jpg

creativereview

Pulse Room
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]
Incandescent light bulbs, voltage controllers, heart rate sensors, computer and metal sculpture. Variable dimensions. Produced by Puebla 2031 for the Plataforma exhibition. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]A sensor records the pulse of the public and converts it into light flashes shown by incandescent light bulbs. At any given time the room shows the heartbeat of the 100 most recent participants.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]
iPulse_02.jpg

The video is: here and it is pretty cool!
lozano-hemmer

i just received a letter from a friend in NYC..
she's writing about the importance of
marriage of "process" and "concept" in art

she forgets the name of the artist she refers to...
she writess...
"process"
the artist sells instructions to a museum/etc.

"concept"
and they make the painting by following his steps

this thread fits here, no? ^_^
Biggest drawing in the world

olafur285383668541793ni1.jpg

VIENNA.- Directly in the center of Vienna, Verbund presents Yellow fog, Olafur Eliasson's most important intervention in public space in Austria as a permanent work of art. Olafur Eliasson is one of the most successful contemporary artists. His impressive work was shown in New York in 1998 and can now be seen exclusively and permanently for the first time again. Locations for the intervention are the Verbund building and the historic plaza, Am Hof, which at dusk this turns into a public stage for an orchestration of light and fog.

Along the 48 meters long façade the intervention Yellow fog is activated every day for one hour at dusk in public space. A grid is embedded in the pavement along the Verbund Headquarters' facade, under which 32 fluorescent tubes are installed. This source of light was chosen because it gives off a homogenous, rather than a spot light. The color of the light, its specific yellow, has been attuned several times by the artist himself. After dusk begins to fall, for about 40 seconds, fog rises up the façade in yellow light. In three-minute intervals the process is repeated, shrouding the building in an ephemeral veil.

The fog serves as a fleeting projection screen for the light. It not only obscures the view of space, but can also create a more precise experience of distance and spatial relations. The fog's movement is particularly exciting. It expands space towards the pavement, shifting the attention to the building as well as to the passers-by on the entire square. Talking with the director of the collection, Gabriele Schor, the artist explains:"Yellow fog connects the inside with the outside. That which is in the building, namely the artworks of the Sammlung Verbund in the Vertical Gallery, is communicated outward into public space."

The artist considers fog as his "tool", his "instrument", and uses it to give us a new perception of urban space. Contrary to other colors, such as white and blue, the yellow color makes the fog particularly visible in the dark. Because of the yellow fog we perceive of the building's façade, its entrance, its doors and windows, as well as the pavement in a different way. The relationship between all these phenomena and the passers-by is redefined.

Through the fog our perception of the entire plaza ensemble, the houses, the crossroads, the pavement and people is renewed. The fog allows to determine public space in an another way, to experience its depth and width differently. The passers-by are relating to public space, and when it is orchestrated in a different way, our cultural perception also changes. Together with the Baroque ensemble, the sober architecture of the Verbund building is set in a new relation with onlookers, and conversely the passsers-by experience a different dialogue between themselves and the plaza. The different weather and wind conditions let us see Yellow fog, the building and the plaza each day in a new way.

The atmospheric quality of a natural phenomenon is thwarted by its placement within an urban environment and the conscious display of its production. The visibility of the artwork's construction is an important aspect of Olafur Eliasson's work, "In making the construction visible, I hope to lend an open character to my work. Because this openness allows for different ways of experiencing and understanding the artwork."
artdaily

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->