Comme Des Garcons - Guerrilla Stores

dets_b said:
Yes i-love-polkadots, the first one was like this new one in Warsaw, the second one was in a huge old library in one of the most important ex-east avenues called "karl marx allee" very close from alexanderplatz, in a way for me the second one was not so guerrilla as the first one, i connect this temporary-destroyed spaces with the attitude of the gs, but in a way the second was too "build" (maybe because the furniture, a really wood-heavy designed kind of). The street where it was was amazing...i hope they will get a third one... have you never been in Berlin?

Yes, I have been to both ones in Berlin. I liked the first one better as well, because it was more cosey if you can say so. But I think Guerrilla concept does not necessarily mean destroyed, but merely taking over a space. The guy in the 2nd store told me that the furniture had been there for 50 years or so...

yes, i know what you mean, i was just connecting more this concept with the
occupied houses from berlin, wich actually are quite destroyed, but as you say, the concept to occupy something has not a connection with destroyed, i was still thinking in this kind of athmospheres...not legal and without rules, this underground kind of attitude. complicated! one thing is right, both were
cool

Wayward fashion house Comme des Garcons give Glasgow's flourishing art scene a home.
As part of their series of guerilla stores appearing everywhere from Singapore and Berlin to Athens and Rekjavik, Comme des Garcons have, in cahoots with local Glaswegians, taken over a three storey warehouse on the banks of the Clyde. Outside accepted shopping districts, the idea is "to propose an array of merchandise that is not beholden to seasons or other industry dictates, but is instead specific to its locale."
The ex-Customs & Excise building turned tobacco warehouse, turned squat-rave heaven has been derelict for 40 years. Comme des Garcons are taking over the ground floor but offering the rest of the enormous space to loca artists Mutley and Goerge Matheson. Hoping to create a haven for the staggering amount of artists graduating from Glasgow's highly respected university, rather than losing them to the Big Smoke. The building will provide a permanent studio space for 35 artists, and house two galleries and recording and rehearsal studios.
Comme des Garcons' +44 414 (after the local area code) will take over the ground floor for one year. A range of clothes and creations, some specific to the shop, some made by the artists working upstairs will appear among a one-of-a-kind interior decor. A local motorbike repair shop has offloaded useless parts on the project, which local artists, including Turner Prize nominee Jim Lambie have fashioned "to make the palce interesting and unique," says Mutley. They may not be working with the best materials, but "luckily, we're all artists, so we can think creatively enough."

Copied from Dazed and Confused May 2006.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus susie. You just made my month!!!!! Thanks for bringing this in. YOu can count on me to provide a full report whenever I get there!!!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus susie. You just made my month!!!!! Thanks for bringing this in. YOu can count on me to provide a full report whenever I get there!!!

Thank you Susie.
Waiting for the report from you Johnny:-)

Warsaw G. Courtesy of Warsaw CdG Guerrilla:-)

out side -
street.jpg

sklep.jpg

next door
obok.jpg

inside
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

the "changing room" is behind the plastic table-cloth
4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does somebody know that are they oppening a new one in Helsinki??

Thank u nqth! the photos are great! i thought i could not see the shop before
i go Warsaw, just great:wink:
Have you seen Gezeiten from Sasha Waltz?

I read something about people asking if there will be a third Guerrilla shop in B Berlin. Well a couple of weeks ago i was there when it was still open, because iam writing my thesis about innovative retail and fashionretail in the future. Iam originally from Holland but i've been in Berlin already for a year now and i've talked to the owner of the shop and the maker of the site of the Guerrilla store. And the owner a lovely lady btw told me she was and has very big hopes of opening another store for CdG in Berlin. She also told me that is was considered special that another shop opened in Germany especially as there was already one opened in Cologne!

The other thing she mentioned was the stock difference in Cologne and Berlin, she told me that Berlin has more left stock pieces and stock of last season. Another lady told me in the store that she was a regular customer and went to Cologne aswell and that the stock was quickly changed. That she had to be quickly if she really liked something.

Well iam crossing my fingers....for that third CdG store in Berlin

You are welcome, dets:-)

^^ Yep. Three is good:-)

A Comme person told me at the opening thay they want the stock to change every 2 weeks. I think it is too fast for Warsaw, but the stock here has changed already.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am curious about this third gs:wink: really curious, maybe it will be in xberg!
that could be cool

^^ Oh I am sorry I forgot about Sasha Waltz. No I haven't seen her dances yet. But she was showing here in Poland several times.

nqth said:
You are welcome, dets:-)

^^ Yep. Three is good:-)

A Comme person told me at the opening thay they want the stock to change every 2 weeks. I think it is too fast for Warsaw, but the stock here has changed already.

That is really quite often! I think I have to go to Warsaw soon...
No Guerilla Store in my neighbourhood, unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->