Cool Clothes For College Kids

I can't believe no one has even mentioned eBay. What's wrong with you people? :lol:

eBay was what got me through my clothing "needs" all throughout my undergrad days. Instead of blowing a hundred bucks on a Club Monaco sweater in retail, I could just as well spend the money on a brand new (or mint) designer item on eBay. I never thought I would be able to buy only designer with the meagre disposable income of a starving college kid, but thanks to eBay, that's exactly what I did. B)

College is also a good time to start investing in good-quality clothing. Whether there's a need for such items around campus (personally I find being well dressed helps a lot in presentations and seminars and whatnot), in a few years you'd be entering the real world and as we all know, looking presentable *really* matters by then.

Originally posted by Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 3:43 pm
I can't believe no one has even mentioned eBay. What's wrong with you people? :lol:
No one mentioned ebay? That place is my mecca! :innocent: The only problem I have is finding way more than I can pay for. :doh:

Originally posted by dramatique+May 5th, 2004 - 3:52 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dramatique @ May 5th, 2004 - 3:52 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 3:43 pm
No one mentioned ebay? That place is my mecca! :innocent: The only problem I have is finding way more than I can pay for. :doh: [/b][/quote]
Oh tell me about it dramatique :lol:

I've depleted my bank account many a times with purchases on eBay. But I take comfort in the fact that I'm paying a much lower price than what they're worth in retail, and if worst comes to worst, I can always sell them off (quite possibly at a profit too!)

What's not to love about eBay? B)

Originally posted by Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 1:58 pm

What's not to love about eBay? B)
The numerous scammers and ripoff artists, maybe? :innocent:

Caveat emptor! :wink:

I know people who were pretty badly scammed by ebay. Club Monaco has some decent sales. I just raid the sale racks... even at the mainstream shopping mall stores. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff you can find at these stores that nobody else wants to buy, just because that particular item doesn't match the store's clientele.

I agree with Orochian about looking presentable when you go to class. Don't wear sweatpants or anything that looks like pyjamas unless you're in a class with 200 people. Jeans and a hoodie is the most casual I'll go. You want your professors to notice you in case you need to ask them for a reference. However, your fashion shouldn't overshadow your acedemic performance so it's a grey area. Just remember that you might be interacting with some of the most respected people in your field so you want to look sharp but not like you tried too hard.

Originally posted by imknotblonde13@Apr 25th, 2004 - 7:39 pm
Im currently going to college and i dont alot of money to drop on clothes but i love to shop and wont buy anything unless its designer.
Don't be so snobby.

If anyone knows of good websites or stores that are cheap and have cute, preppy, chic clothes ....

Read:
"..No Woman can make herself chic, if she is not chic herself"-Cristobel Balenciaga

Use your brain and develop your own sense of style ...for gods sake! :innocent:

Why dont you just discard the thought of having to buy a designer, and go shopping, and buy what you like.

It also sounds to me that you desperately want to fit in and be one of the 'cool' people.

You wont get anywhere worrying about what people think...

Originally posted by tangerine+May 6th, 2004 - 2:20 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tangerine @ May 6th, 2004 - 2:20 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Orochian@May 5th, 2004 - 1:58 pm

What's not to love about eBay?  B)
The numerous scammers and ripoff artists, maybe? :innocent:

Caveat emptor! :wink: [/b][/quote]
There're scammers and ripoff artists in retail too. That's why eBay has a buyer protection programme, much like high-volume retailers do.

And anyone with a little common sense and intimate knowledge regarding the products they're purchasing should be able to spot out the scams from the deals. The actual number of scams is greatly exaggerated anyway - it's a myth perpetrated by retailers with an obvious motive. Feel free to believe in them though, it's your own loss not to take advantage of the savings and choices available.

Currently I'm nearing my 200th transaction on eBay, and I'm pleased to say that I've never been scammed.

I have never had a problem with Ebay either. I just got a lovely dress for a senior dinner off Ebay. Laundry by Segal evening gown. Just $30 from $330 with tags still on. I was very happy with that bargain!

More power to the people who know how to navigate deals on eBay without problems. I sincerely hope you continue to get great deals.

I have never been warned off eBay by any retailer, only by individuals who either got ripped off or had their identities hacked.

Maybe they had no common sense, I don't know. I don't have intimate knowledge of all the things I think I might like to buy, so I tend to play it safe. I am choosy about retailers, too.

Peace! :flower:

orochian and dramatique -- you guys are totally on the same page as me.

i can't tell you how many designer bargains i've gotten off ebay. i can't tell you how much money i've made selling off stuff that i don't want anymore.

and . . . oh yes, sometimes i go overboard and buy lots of stuff, but sometimes you just can't pass up a good deal.

so glad other people use ebay too!

Originally posted by sbbbjm@May 8th, 2004 - 4:26 am
i can't tell you how many designer bargains i've gotten off ebay. i can't tell you how much money i've made selling off stuff that i don't want anymore.
Oh yeah, and an even better scenario is to buy something at a bargain price, wear/use it for a while, and then sell it off at a profit afterwards! :lol:

People stare at me as if I'd had an overdose of Paxil when I tell them that, but let me tell ya, it's entirely possible and has happened to me many many times. It's all in how you list the item, and how cheaply you managed to obtain it in the first place. People who're listing beautiful things with a single crappy, dimly-lit picture have NO IDEA how much money they're potentially losing.

EXACTLY! you and i are like 2 peas in a pod when it comes to Ebay!

Originally posted by FoxyC+May 6th, 2004 - 5:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoxyC @ May 6th, 2004 - 5:28 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-imknotblonde13@Apr 25th, 2004 - 7:39 pm
Im currently going to college and i dont alot of  money to drop on clothes but i love to shop and wont buy anything unless its designer.
Don't be so snobby.

If anyone knows of good websites or stores that are cheap and have cute, preppy, chic clothes ....

Read:
"..No Woman can make herself chic, if she is not chic herself"-Cristobel Balenciaga

Use your brain and develop your own sense of style ...for gods sake! :innocent:

Why dont you just discard the thought of having to buy a designer, and go shopping, and buy what you like.

It also sounds to me that you desperately want to fit in and be one of the 'cool' people.

You wont get anywhere worrying about what people think... [/b][/quote]
comepletely agree with you there foxy.

I'm a student, I can't afford bags and bags of designer clothing and my wardrobe is still fabulous, i have my own style if i see something i like it doesn't matter who its by to me as long as its wearable and won't break after being worn once.

Team non designer items with one or two designer items, you'll have a much more varied wardrobe and you'll save money.

Originally posted by Orochian+May 10th, 2004 - 12:47 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ May 10th, 2004 - 12:47 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-sbbbjm@May 8th, 2004 - 4:26 am
i can't tell you how many designer bargains i've gotten off ebay.  i can't tell you how much money i've made selling off stuff that i don't want anymore. 
Oh yeah, and an even better scenario is to buy something at a bargain price, wear/use it for a while, and then sell it off at a profit afterwards! :lol:

People stare at me as if I'd had an overdose of Paxil when I tell them that, but let me tell ya, it's entirely possible and has happened to me many many times. It's all in how you list the item, and how cheaply you managed to obtain it in the first place. People who're listing beautiful things with a single crappy, dimly-lit picture have NO IDEA how much money they're potentially losing. [/b][/quote]
I agree! I have sold off lovely shoes and bags etc. with a low starting price and have had bidders actually bid for my items for more than i orginally paid for them!
Its all about how you set your item description out and well thought out layouts in my opinion :flower:

how you set your item description out and well thought out layouts in my opinion

AH....it feels so good to hear those words coming out of someone else's mouth! :lol: I'm all about listing things properly in order to make a killing! :P\

Just sold a messenger bag for more than double its original purchase price! :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->