Copping Takes Over at Nina Ricci

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Needlecrush, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Needlecrush

Needlecrush New Member

The Saga has come to an end over at Nina Ricci, with Peter Copping taking over as artistic director of the 77 year old French house. He started Monday, and replaces Olivier Theyskens, who was let go last month. Peter is a Louis Vuitton veteran, since 1997.
    Cooping's first line of business is a capsule collection (due in June), with his first runway show not expected till next March. The company wants to allow him the chance to "immerse himself in Ricci before making his first big fashion statement for a brand synonymous with ethereal femininity".
    Here is what the designer told wwd: “I think it’s a name with a very nice history. I love all the French fashionisms, and Nina Ricci is very much a French house. It’s going to feel very close to all the things I personally like.”
    But he also wants to make make "Ricci “contemporary again” and broaden its appeal. “We want to move away from a girl and be more about a woman,” he said. “I want the clothes to be very tactile, very luxurious — the kind of clothes a woman enjoys wearing, and with attention to detail, which is something I learned at Vuitton.” More at WWD.
    Meanwhile we await news from Thyskens. Last rumors we heard he was being somewhere between Halston and Schiaparell.

#1 Needlecrush, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 22, 2009
  2. Crimson C.C

Crimson C.C New Member

Cant wait to see his first collection with ricci then.

3. kala_dev

kala_dev New Member

ah . now . we . wait .

4. kimair

kimair frozen

full article from wwd...

5. lmelanie

lmelanie Active Member

wow..this is going to be interesting..I also didnt know that Olivier was "let go" I thought that he left on his own..

6. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious Active Member

are you kidding? the Ricci suits were extremely unhappy that he failed to produce stuff that would actually SELL. presenting an entire collection of dresses with trains, short in the front, long in the back... such a downgrade from his first collection for Ricci.

i'm looking forward to Copping's approach. i like to give new designers a chance.

7. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

looking forward to this myself !
    anything will be better than Theyskens

8. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

"However, the designer will likely not stage his first runway show for the 77-year-old brand until next March. The company stressed it is not a cost-saving measure but rather an effort to allow Copping sufficient time to immerse himself in Ricci before making his first big fashion statement for a brand synonymous with ethereal femininity."

This, I think, is a good idea: giving him extra time to allow him to see what Nicci was all about, and allowing him to design accordingly..I feel like that's why a lot of these newer designers (Peter Dundas & Lars Nilsson off the top of my head) wind up failing after a few short seasons (or, season, singular): they get hired one day, and the next day they have to put on a full collection..Doesn't really give a designer much time to really understand the original style/look/feel of the house.

9. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

wmagazine.com

10. Flashbang

Flashbang Mr. Magic

wmagazine.com