Creating Native American & Cowboy Spring Looks

LUMANAcom

Reaction score
I tried finding a thread about this and couldn't find one...

I was looking through the www.style.com website and found that there is a lot of these western looking styles. What are some staples do you think are needed to be able to create this look. Let's make a list:

-Chunky turquoise jewelry
-Chunky disk like belt in the style of Kate Moss's
-White tiered boho skirt
-Cowboy boots
-Moccasins

These are the basics, my mind doesnt stretch beyond the obvious. I can't even think of a handbag style...

Great thread!

That trend has been going for years now, all started with the chunky turquoise jewelry, now thanks to the likes of Kate Moss and Sienna Miller, it's goint pretty strong.

I really don't like the trend though, maybe it's because I've seen too much of it. And most of the time, it can easily look like one is trying to hard or very cheap. A few accessories are OK, though head to toe is a pretty freaky sight (like any other trend).

Check Ralph Lauren ads from last autumn/winter - it's a reasonably good picture of the look you're talking about. Living out here in New Mexico, I see ads from the major cities listing some unbelievably high prices for some turquoise pieces I don't think are as real as they say. :ninja: Real, natural (not stabilized) turquoise is gem-grade material, very scarce, very costly - one famous type runs $200 a carat. You don't make chunk necklaces of that stuff! A great many chunk necklaces aren't turquoise at all, but chrysocolla - which is cheap, but often even prettier than turquoise.

A clever buyer could take a plane out here from New York, stay a week, buy a few pounds of jewelry, and go back home for less than the price of one rather dubious bracelet I saw advertised a while back!

The Gucci horsebit bag would work, but if you want to get witty the Birkin bag or a tasteful Dior Saddle, that would tie in the classy equestrian trend. You can go a step further and bring the Middle Eastern trend in, as well as Gaucho pants since they were invented for riding horses.

Ideal outfit:
  • A pair of dark lightly washed drainpipe jeans or white linen gaucho pants.
  • A brown whipstitched belt with a collage of different semi-precious stones (my friend got one from Nordstrom like this)
  • For shoes Id say a pair of brown high heeled spectators or maybe something like the Dior Detective D'Orsay pump. Mocassins are far too obvious.
  • A short sequined lavender tunic or possibly a Balenciaga style croc print blouse (Macy's has these in lots of colors).
  • Topped of with a light brown Birkin bag, Dior Vintage Flowers bag, any Dior Detective bag, or any Gucci bag with the horsebit.
Those are things I would look out for, don't do all-denim it's over done and very obvious. Do some research as well, you can have a very intelligent diverse look while keeping with one trend. Dont go for the expected because 1,000 people will have already done the expected.

Im thinking of how I could take it to the extreme, 5" stacked heel cowboy boots and a pill box hat wrapped in black wirey mesh possibly some bondage influences...

Yeah, I think mocassins are too obvious too! What exactly are "high heeled spectators?" I also like the idea of the Dior Saddle bag. I have this problem where I do the obvious, love all the suggestions! Thanks.

00140f.jpg

00250f.jpg

McQueen. The first is a spectator pump, the second is like futuristic cowgirl with those spurs.

44025650_2.jpg

Ralph Lauren had a pair almost exactly like those YSL's, they were on sale in December at thier boutique in Georgetown, probably still there.

^Those YSL's are absolutely amazing!

anyways, I kind of like this trend, though perhaps it has been slightly overdone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->