Daks by Giles Deacon F/W 07.08 Milan

peacelover142002

go red sox
Reaction score
MILAN, February 22, 2007 – Giles Deacon has pitched up in Milan to show his first collection under contract to Daks, a British brand known from the thirties onward as a solid producer of respectable clothing for English gents and their good lady wives. Before his show, he talked about his ambition to address businesswomen, and since that's a species routinely blanked by fashion designers, his words—and the fact that he is lauded on his own turf as British Designer of the Year—sounded promising.

Given the heritage of the brand, the obvious way to set about creating updated business attire is to work on tailoring, or at least daywear necessities for high achievers. Deacon started out by doing just that, and he came up with a precise, wasp-waisted silhouette with a rounded hip, achieved through boning and a tie-on pad device that goes beneath the coat and jacket. That molded shape—vaguely retro in a New Look-ish way—chimed with both the forties trend and the menswear feeling of the season.

There were well-executed dresses, too, pieced in matte-shine velvet, wool, and duchesse satin, but the show swiftly drifted off into fashion-y "statements" more fit for extreme magazine shoots than any recognizable business agenda. This involved transplanting some of the vast cable-knit pieces and geometric satin patchworks seen in Deacon's own collection, and a big quilted stole device whose practicality beyond the runway is questionable. In other words, it hardly amounted to a riposte to Jil Sander. Perhaps that's because Deacon, frantically working away with his cool gang in east London, doesn't run across many corporate highfliers, or even medium-affluent women with a day job outside fashion. It's not particularly fair to bawl him out for that, because he's only part of a syndrome. Watching shows these days, it's increasingly hard to stifle the thought that the best thing many designers could do is beg to be seconded to an employed woman for a week.

– Sarah Mower

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg
00030m.jpg

00040m.jpg
00050m.jpg
00060m.jpg

style.com

It seems as if he's having a bit of a hard time reconciling his own vision and tastes with a more commercial brand.

But I think he can do it. He just needs to restrain the knits and the oversized pieces and the hats.

It's certainly not a bad collection.

Coherence? Giles Deacon?

I love it. And yes, those oversized knits are here too...:rolleyes:

the knits are so out of place, it's so NOT DAKS

sorry but i'm not liking Gilles' Daks debut

Does anyone know which line Daks have now ?

I know "Daks London E1" & "Daks Luxury".

And some others line Daks have now ?

well its great for Daks because Daks needed a new breath of fresh air but something is off. maybe the headgear??

I dont get the knits at all. They seem abit out of place? I do love the dresses though..

Last edited by a moderator:
it's just funny that THIS is his idea of conservative business attire...

:lol:...

what???...
i mean...
some of the pieces are good and fun...but...
really...
could you wear most of this to work???...

somehow i agree with sarah mower's assesment...

softgrey said:
it's just funny that THIS is his idea of conservative business attire...

:lol:...

what???...
i mean...
some of the pieces are good and fun...but...
really...
could you wear most of this to work???...

somehow i agree with sarah mower's assesment...

I would, to be honest:innocent:

I guess, as design problem, Deacon should do more...factual than evocative research. I'm more impressed at how much more wearable this is than his mainline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodopolfo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->