Giles Deacon for New Look

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
it's a trend..

Published: Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Deacon to Design for New Look
By Samantha Conti
LONDON — Giles Deacon has joined the march into the mass market.

The London designer, who scooped the Designer of the Year award at the British Fashion Awards last week, will create a capsule collection for the British retailer New Look beginning with the spring season.

Called Gold, the collection will launch in mid-March and be sold at 50 New Look stores in the U.K. and abroad, including units in Paris, Dublin, Antwerp and Dubai.

Drew Barrymore will be featured in the ad campaign, which was styled by Deacon's longtime collaborator and editor of Pop magazine, Katie Grand, and was shot last week by Solve Sunsbo.

"I really wanted to do a long-term collaboration, and New Look doesn't have a huge stable of other designers," said Deacon. "And they're terrific to work with — they just really get it."
"It's a full, formulated, 35-piece collection, with full gondolas planned for the store windows."
- Sarah Walter, New Look
Sarah Walter, head of fashion communications at New Look, said that, while the company has in the past collaborated with other designers — including Luella Bartley, Katie Hillier, Georgina Goodman and Eley Kishimoto — it's done nothing on this scale before.

"It's a full, formulated, 35-piece collection, with full gondolas planned for the store windows," said Walter. "We've made a formal, long-term arrangement with Giles, who's bang on the money for us."

The collection will feature party and day dresses, jeans, T-shirts and a host of accessories including shoes, bags, sunglasses, bangles and earrings. There will be four collections a year, and prices range from 20 pounds, or $38, for jeans and tops, to 90 pounds, or $170, for a beaded dress.

"We've fitted everything, and it's all very hands-on. We've put our name to it, and we believe in it," Deacon said.

Walter added that design generally was the key to success on the high street.

"Everybody is entitled to good design — and it's not just about having a name. Over the past two years, we've beefed up our fashion team to 24 in-house designers. The only way to differentiate yourself on the high street is through design," she said. .............

credited to wwd.com

why oh why...
i love giles but new look? i would have preferred Topshop or even H&M

I like New Look, they have totally refreshed themselves in the past couple of years, a real turnaround. And I think H&M and Topshop would already be too 'set' in their interactions with this sort of collaborative effort. I hope it will be interesting

I agree with Meg, new look is affrodable, decent quality (same as or even better than H&m), and not that popular.
I think I might actually queue for this one ^_^ . I can't wait:woot:

I wonder who'll be next to jump on the bandwagon

There is nothing wrong with designers working with a high street store, it is only to bad that they have design with in the restrictions of that store. It would be great if more designers had a really affordable devicion line (affordable for me is H&M) It is not about it being a wel known name, not for me at least. It is about a good design. Most of these things like Viktor & Rolf for H&M is promoted like it is all about owning something that has V&R written in the collar. Eventhough that collection is pretty bad, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Look is crap. Everyone always talks about how they get great things from there but everytime I go in all I see is cheap, badly made tacky tat.Such as yellow houndstooth and diamante everything.

So whatever he does to me it's still going to look bad quality..

tifa said:
New Look is crap. Everyone always talks about how they get great things from there but everytime I go in all I see is cheap, badly made tacky tat.Such as yellow houndstooth and diamante everything.

So whatever he does to me it's still going to look bad quality..

I'm sorry,but that was extremly rude:rolleyes: , there are actually people , human beings (me) who actually like new look and thik its great value for money. And i find it very insulting that you would describe the clothes that way.
Whats wrong with juust saying 'I don't like there quality of their clothing'?
Do you NEED to belittle it?:rolleyes:

Anyway, actually going on your 'argument' (if you can call it such), new look IMO has the same quality clothes, and sometimes even better , than H&m. The only difference is that H&m has the 'hype' and heavily uses advertising to create an 'image'

I think its great, although I can assure you that the average New Look customer has no idea who Deacon is! It's just going to be another Stella for H&M effort where everything ends up on Ebay half an hour after it hits the shop. Ah well, get your freak on Giles Deacon :lol:

i can't wait o see what he's designed!!! i've liked a few of his pieces and if it's nice, it might be worthy of my sister! woo hoo!!

OOOOOo I love Giles! OMG Where can I buy this stuff?

Just doesn't seem plausible to me , but I admire him for taking a chance and going with an unlikely choice.

Here is another article

http://fashion.psfk.com/2006/11/giles_new_look.html

Giles + New Look = ???

Amanda Gore in Industry Informer

More designers sell their soul to the high street- with the arrival today of the Roland Mouret for Gap dress collection, and the anticipation building for the Viktor & Rolf range for H&M, the word on the street is that newly crowned British Designer of the Year Giles Deacon will be producing a collection for UK retailer New Look. Tom Singh's high-street chain has been steadily raising its fashion flag in a bid to become a serious contender for the Topshop style crown, and scoring such a big name- which will be joined by an ad campaign styled by Katie Grand and featuring Drew Barrymore- is definitely going to up the game.
WWD reports on the collaboration, which is due to be in stores for spring summer 2007. More than just a one-off though, New Look are taking things further with a long term partnership agreed- meaning the production of four full, formulated seasonal collections by Deacon for the company per year (though no news on how long this is agreed for). Look out for the Gold collection from March, featuring party and day dresses, jeans, T-shirts and lots of accessories. I'm sure every fashionista will want it, though with prices starting from $38/ £20, how can Giles keep up the allure of being an aspirational designer?

new look does menswear!! i just thought, but i dont think giles will do anything for it though :(

ohhh nooo... demi couture high street?

New Look is crap indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->