David Bailey - Photographer

Penelope Tree - Vogue Australia- June 1993 No. 6 - Photographer: David Bailey - Scanned by Me:heart:penelope tree - vogue australia june 93 #6.jpg

penelope tree - vogue australia june 93 #6.jpg

David Bailey is part of the inspiration for the 60's film, "Blow Up" and I can see the similarities in the film ... it does remind me of his work.

Blowup (also rendered as Blow-Up) is an award-winning 1966 British-Italian art film directed by Michelangelo Antonioni and was that director's firstEnglish language film. It tells the story of a photographer's involvement with a murder case. The film was inspired by the short story "Las Babas del Diablo" by Argentinian writer Julio Cortazar, and by the work, habits, and mannerisms of "Swinging London" photographer David Bailey.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I :heart: Valentino Rossi! Thanks so much for posting those pics, PollyM!!

vogue scan, photo scan from marianne faithfull's autobiography, pattieboydsixtiesstyle;yahoo groups

Attachments

• 7a5d.jpg
    7a5d.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 38b9.jpg
    38b9.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 12
  • dcdd.jpg
    dcdd.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bailey.jpg
    bailey.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 12
  • show.jpg
    show.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 29
  • bailey_marianne.jpg
    bailey_marianne.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 13
  • Jean18.jpg
    Jean18.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1586.jpg
    1586.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 12
more photos

Attachments

• baileedjpg.jpg
    baileedjpg.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 3395374_l.jpg
    3395374_l.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16
  • john.bmp
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
Some 1969 madness. Scanned by me.

Attachments

• british_vogue_march_1_1969__baileysm.jpg
    british_vogue_march_1_1969__baileysm.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 16
  • british_vogue_march_1_1969__bailey4sm.jpg
    british_vogue_march_1_1969__bailey4sm.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 18
UK Vogue August 1987
"Nightlife"
Model: Yasmin Le Bon

Tha Fashion Directory

Some Vogue Covers taken by him...

Vogue Italia January 1988
Model: Christy Turlington

Vogue UK March 1992
Model: Claudia Mason

Vogue UK March 1988
Model: Rachel Williams

Vogue UK November 1987

Vogue UK February 1988

Vogue UK February 1987
Model: Cindy Crawford

ebay & herfamedgoodlooks.com

A short interview from The Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk:(

David Bailey: I'll never stop working as a photographer

24 Jan 2010

David Bailey has said he will never give up photography, as he prepares to launch an exhibition of his 1960s work.

Bailey is about to put on the selling exhibition, called Pure Sixties, Pure Bailey, at Bonhams auctioneers in New Bond Street, London.

Now 72, he works seven days a week."I don't know what else to do," he said when asked why he continued to do so. "It's not work anyway," he added of his pursuit, with which he said he had "a love-hate relationship".

The show, which contains prints of some of his most famous photographs, such as of Sir Michael Caine, Mick Jagger and Jean Shrimpton, is to mark 50 years since he started at Vogue. He once said of the job: "'When Vogue offered to pay me to photograph beautiful women all day I thought I was on a dream boat."

But he now claims that neither clothes nor women were his inspiration. "I've got no interest in frocks, and it wasn't the girls either," he said. "It was the chance to be creative."

He was surprised by his professional longevity."I didn't know I was going to live for 50 years," he remarked. "It has come as a shock."

Pure Sixties, Pure Bailey, runs from March 7 to April 7. Prints are priced from £10,000 to £75,000.

A short piece in The Observer (guardian.co.uk:(

This Much I Know: David Bailey

The photographer, 72, on the Rolling Stones and seduction

Sunday 21 February 2010

When I swear, it's an endearment. But it doesn't look that way when it's written down.

Sixties culture has endured because that era was the beginning of "the medium is the message" – Marshall McLuhan's theory of the media. The current nostalgia for that decade is understandable. I used to love the 20s.

I've got an enormous collection of things – from skulls to African art. I don't see why I shouldn't collect – it'll all be dispersed when I die, back into circulation.

American Vogue editor Diana Vreeland was a great friend. There was no one as chic as Vreeland, and they're still copying her now. She was awful to work with, though – she was only interested in fashion, not photography.

All that "golden years" stuff is nonsense. I'm 72 and it's not better at the end of the road.

Actors are hard to photograph because they never want to reveal who they are. You don't know if you're getting a character from a Chekhov play or a Polanski film. It depends what mood they're in.

Sometimes I dream with my eyes open and see extraordinary Goya-esque faces. I wish I could photograph them in my mind, or draw them.

The best advice I ever got
was that knowledge is power and to keep reading. A Jewish art student told me that when I was 16. We were outside Whitechapel tube station.

Jonathan Miller sums up the British for me:
"This mean and bitter land." I don't like the pettiness of the English, the jealousy.

I still bump into the Rolling Stones a lot.
Ronnie Wood phoned yesterday and said he's got a new girlfriend. They're all new – well, none of them are old.

Is it more interesting to leave your mark or to leave a scar?
It's a toss-up, I'd say.

You can't photograph someone's soul,
but you can photograph their body language. I watch how someone moves – the little things. I spend more time talking to people than photographing them.

I don't get football.
I don't like any sport except boxing and bull fighting. At my school sports day the teachers used to take my shoes and socks so I couldn't piss off home.

I photographed Laurence Olivier on his 80th birthday.
I thought: "How am I going to deal with this man?" But he drank two bottles of champagne and his nurse had to help him up the stairs. He was completely unpretentious and a very nice bloke.

There's nothing wrong with seduction.
People say I seduced a lot of women, which makes me very immature. Well, what does that make the women I seduced? ■

UK Vogue October 1987
"More Dash then Cash: Short Shap Contrast"

djuna.cine21.com/christy

4 covers for Vogue Paris

1 - 1963 September
2 - 1964 October
3 - 1965 October Catherine Deneuve
4 - 1965 September

my scans from "Vogue Paris Covers 1920-2009"

UK Vogue August 1987
"Active British Style"
Model: Yasmin Le Bon

modascans.net

Jerry and Marie by Bailey, on the cover of Tatler, I think it's September 1985 (ebay.co.uk/magazine-arena:(

Attachments

• Tatler Jerry.jpg
    Tatler Jerry.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 4
Some more of his Tatler covers (same source:(
September 1981 - Catherine Deneuve
May 1986 - Isabelle Pasco
June 1986 - Talisa Soto with Nick Kamen

Attachments

• Tat Cat.jpg
    Tat Cat.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Tat Gab.jpg
    Tat Gab.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Tat1986 Soto.jpg
    Tat1986 Soto.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 6
Galliano goes Gap

:heart:John Galliano photographed by David Bailey for The Gap.

Vanity Fair Magazine, 1991.
:heart:scanned by dioramour

Attachments

• john galliano.jpg
    john galliano.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeBrayda77