Decoupage

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
from decoupage.org

Discover Decoupage

Decoupage, derived from the French word decouper, meaning to cut out, is the creative art of assembling, pasting and varnishing paper cutouts for decorating objects.
The decoupage artist is limited only by his or her imagination. Anyone who can use scissors and glue can do decoupage! With time, education and experience the decoupeur will progress from simple designs to complex works of art.

Some step-by-step directions on how-to from familycrafts.about.com

Page 1: Basic Techniques 101

Decoupage is one of those crafts where the finished product is sometimes deceptive. Depending on what you make, the finished product can be so stunning that it appears to be professionally painted. By looking at the finished product, you would think decoupage would be complicated, but it isn't. Decoupage is actually quite simple! If you can cut and paste, you already know most of the techniques involved. Basically, you cut out pictures; you glue the pictures onto an object; and then cover the object and pictures with a few coats of glue/decoupage medium to protect it.
Of course, you can buy supplies and other items that are made specifically for decoupage. One of the nice things about this craft, however, is that you can also use supplies that you probably have laying around the house right now.

Page 2: Gathering Supplies

You probably have enough supplies lying around the house to try decoupage right now. First, you need something to decoupage a picture onto. You can decoupage pictures to almost anything: furniture, photo albums, shelving, frames, boxes, vases, mirrors, and so on! Find the item you want to decoupage onto and make sure it is free of dust and dirt. You might want to seal it first; what you use to seal it will depend on what it is made out of. You might also want to paint the item.
Next, you need the pictures to decoupage. The pictures can be cut out of magazines, catalogs, or books. You can print out clip art and poems and verses. The options are endless: cut out pictures from wrapping paper, wallpaper, packages, greeting cards, fabric, etc. You can also buy designed paper made especially for decoupage.

Get creative! (NOTE: You can use photos; however, I would suggest getting high-quality copies made because photos don't always cooperate!)
Once you have your pictures and an item to decoupage, you will need to gather a few more supplies. As I said previously, you can use items you probably have laying around your house.

• White Glue - Use this as your decoupage medium! Glue your pictures down and seal them. I prefer to dilute my glue with a bit of water.
  • Popsicle Stick - Used to help smooth out wrinkles and removed excess glue.
  • Cotton Swab - Used like a paintbrush the spread around glue.
  • Damp Rag - To wipe up excess glue and other clean up.
Of course, you can buy items to use; some are made especially for decoupage.

• Decoupage Medium - You can find this in pretty much any craft store. Used to glue the picture to your item and seal it.
  • Brayer - This is like a miniature rolling pin designed to help remove wrinkles, remove excess glue, and stick your picture down better.
  • Foam or Small Paint Brush - Used to apply and spread decoupage medium.
  • Craft Knife - Used to cut out detailed pictures.
  • Sealer - You can use your decou

Page 3: Step-By-Step Directions

Now that you have all your supplies gathered, we can begin! You will be surprised with how easy it is. As with any craft project, you should read through and understand all directions before starting.

1. If you have not prepared the surface of the item you plan to decoupage on, do so now. Make sure it is clean and paint/seal it now.
  2. Cut out your pictures.
  3. Arrange the pictures before you add the glue so you know where you want everything. The pictures can be in any design and can also overlap.
  4. Completely coat the back of the picture with your glue or decoupage medium. You should also put a thin layer of glue in the area where you are sticking the picture.
  5. Stick the picture on the glue. Use your finger to gently push down the picture (for a large picture, start from the center and work your way out) and push out any wrinkles and excess glue. You can also use a popsicle stick or brayer.
  6. Continue with the last 2 steps until all your pictures are glued on. Let the glue dry.
  7. Now, coat your item completely with diluted white glue (approximately 3 parts glue to 1 part water) or decoupage medium. Let this dry completely.
  8. Now, you can continue to add coats of the glue or decoupage medium or use another sealer (polyurethane, acrylic spray, etc.) until you get the desired results. You will, however, want to keep adding coats until the edges of the pictures are smooth.

So... I was think of doing a decoupage project with some of my old magazines and an old wooden table I've got in the basement, but I wasn't sure about the how-to aspects...so when I saw we didn't have a thread here I figured I'd do some googling and start one! ^_^

I've already posted some instructions I found, but if anyone has tips to share or finished projects they want to show off then this is the place to do it! :D

When I get around to decoupage-ing that old table I'll be sure to post some pics :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->