Designer Sketches

edit: whatever happened to molly grad, her grad collection was fantastic! i love her illustrations too

Shes now at YSL!
You can kind of see her style in the pre-fall collection I think. Maybe thats just me..

I LOVE Alber's drawings, he and his team work on the dress patterns themselves in some cases and I guess the atelier's will build up an idea of what the designer wants pretty quickly. If you look at the drawings they are actually pretty informative. There are lots more in that 'diary' he made for Cathy Horyn's blog a while ago.

I really like Ghesquiere's aswell. I assume theyre his, in an interview with Suzy Menkes (on youtube) he shows her some more in the same style.

Christopher Kane's drawings are incredible, absolutely my favourite designer sketches.

Really sorry if this has already been posted, but you can see loads of Theyskens' sketches for Rochas in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LKvcebJGT0

Also some shots of him sketching. It looks really effortless and natural, better than those Nina Ricci ones he handed out I think.

but ghesquiere's drawings are pretty anatomically correct though. you have a point on the more abstract and expressive drawings explain more of the clothes on the basis of it's feeling but not so much the construction of the garment. it all depends on the design really. if lanvin's dresses were more tailored and not so draped, i doubt alber's drawings would be this loose and informatively minimal.
i watched the theysken video, i really like his drawing style as well but in the line ups it is obviously more informative.
it's more forgivable for women's wear design sketches to be looser and more abstract when it comes to dresses that are draped instead of tailored. like christopher kane's dresses are obviously tailored.
i didn't know those were his drawings. i saw big boards of drawings like that on the lancome juicy tubes in his studio and i really liked it but didnt register that it was drawn by him since his line-up drawings that was handed to the cutters was less complicated in illustration and very clear to understand in terms of how the garment is to be cut and constructed.
it's probably just a personal thing but i like to draw detailed line-ups of garment designs of just how i want it to be
so molly grad is at ysl eh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alber's drawing style is the same for tailored suits etc from what Ive seen. Still kind of 2d and cartoon-ish, but if you really look there is all the information there you would need, in perfect proportion (ie you can see when a hem falls at the knee, and where a dress touches the body).

Those drawings above arent really anything to go by, theyre kind of a cute commercial version I think? there are some drawings in the book mentioned above that are really incredible, but theyre kind of his personal drawings, not spec. drawings intended for a cutter.

Haha is there any chance you could sneak your camera out at work? I would love to see some more of his drawings.

fair enough but it still doesnt show how the garment was cut. im really interested in seeing how the garments are cut and put together but neither the drawing nor photograph gives me any clue how the patterns were made. photos for darker garments is almost impossible to see the seams.

from what i remember seeing the book, the drawings he hands to the cutter is very much similar to some of the ones in the book except the ones in the book are obviously older and it feels more...un-pretty almost, like it's kinda deliberately un-appealing which in it's own way is what appeals. and im probably gonna be stereotyping here, but it felt very csm. i could be wrong but that was the impression it left me with
anyways, from what i seen, csm is almost quite anti-ricardo tisci style illustrations which is funny cause ricardo came from csm.

and no, there is no chance now because i dont work there anymore. school, boo

Last edited by a moderator:
Louise Simmonds
f_louisesimmom_dbe8146.jpg

f_Louisem_30af107.jpg

kingdomofstyle.typepad

Doo Ri`s sketches are just mesmerizing.... it`s not just about the outfit, but the whole idea surrounding the garment is conveyed....beautiful!

Amazing, thanks everyone for the posts. My computer is so full of so many stunning illustrations. Xx

Rebecca Taylor
new-outfit-low.jpg

Abaete (Laura Poretzky)
abaetz-fall09-sketch.jpg

Rachel Roy
rachel-roy-fall-09-sketch-31.jpg

Luca Luca (Raul Megoza)
lucaluca.jpg

fashionweekdaily

Central Saint Martins students
64328.jpg

Laura Mackness