Determining Your Personal Style

pixiewytch

Reaction score
Is anyone else ever completely overwhelmed by finding their style niche? I love fashion, love clothes, love bags, love designers....but I have so many different interests and they all seem to clash all over the place. I am the type of person who could dress head to toe in Juicy one day and hot topic the next. I've been a goth, a heavy metal chick, a hippie...most of my underground fashion trends have been extreme. As I get a little older I am trying to streamline them into something a bit more sophisticated and less "in your face" if you will. I just feel like I'm all over the place sometimes. Then when I think I've found my niche I read that my look is too "fashion victim" or trendy. It really is confusing. I like flashy, just because I always have, not because it is a trend but I feel obligated to look more subdued. Anyway, I could ramble on about this but I'm curious about how people found their style niche. Btw, I'm almost 30 so I'm not particularly interested in hearing how somebody in high school or college has found their style. It has been aeons ago since I was there and believe me, I thought I had found it too. :blush: I sometimes wish I could be one of those people who has one tried and true style that works every time. I just feel too eclectic for that.

Funny nobody replied to your post. It's a very interesting thread though! Here's my recipe:

- Have loads of self-confidence and dare (the hardest to get!)
- Pick your inspiration from your childhood memories
- Use trends to dig the things that fits your own personal world (and not the other way round)
- Know the shapes that fit your body (try things you're not appealed to and try try try)
- Know your colour range and stick to the same range (it'll be either warm or cold). This creates harmony and has a big visual impact believe me I know for sure ;0)
- Browse shops very very quickly and go for the things that instantly 'appeal' to you in a certain manner. It's difficult to explain. I would say something like 'love at the first sight'
- Don't pay too much attention to sizes, they vary too much. Pick what fits you.
- Do scrapbooks with pictures of outfits, accessories, try to build a coherence on each page. On the same principle as you'd browse the shop, pick what catch your eyes. After a few months you'll get a definition of your personal style (you can be eclectic it's not incompatible!) whatever the trends are. My fav magazines for this are ELLE UK and Allure US.
- Don't be afraid of missing it out sometimes, learn from your fashion crimes and above all, have fun!

gardenpea said:
Funny nobody replied to your post. It's a very interesting thread though!

Well, a majority of members probably fit in this category that she's not interested in :innocent: (although i don't think you should ever close yourself off from other opinions)

"I'm not particularly interested in hearing how somebody in high school or college has found their style."

---
Great advice :flower:
gardenpea said:
- Have loads of self-confidence and dare (the hardest to get!)
- Pick your inspiration from your childhood memories
- Use trends to dig the things that fits your own personal world (and not the other way round)
- Know the shapes that fit your body (try things you're not appealed to and try try try)
- Know your colour range and stick to the same range (it'll be either warm or cold). This creates harmony and has a big visual impact believe me I know for sure ;0)
- Browse shops very very quickly and go for the things that instantly 'appeal' to you in a certain manner. It's difficult to explain. I would say something like 'love at the first sight'
- Don't pay too much attention to sizes, they vary too much. Pick what fits you.
- Do scrapbooks with pictures of outfits, accessories, try to build a coherence on each page. On the same principle as you'd browse the shop, pick what catch your eyes. After a few months you'll get a definition of your personal style (you can be eclectic it's not incompatible!) whatever the trends are. My fav magazines for this are ELLE UK and Allure US.
- Don't be afraid of missing it out sometimes, learn from your fashion crimes and above all, have fun!

it takes effort. no one is born with an inherent sense of style.

Well, I'm in my mid-20s and quite stylish. B)

- Collect images that you feel drawn to ... don't pay attention to what people tell you to like ... only focus on what you actually do like. Eventually, you'll notice recurring themes and items.

- Only buy things that make you absolutely fall in love ... if you don't get the butterflies-in-the-gut feeling, pass. (unless you're purchasing basics... there's no need to fall in love with a plain t-shirt).

- Only wear colors that make you look gorgeous.

- Complement your figure. For instance: if you have a double chin and no neck, you won't look good in a choker.

- Read these books: A Guide to Elegance by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux and The Pocket Stylist by Kendall Farr

- Say "no" mercilessly. Doesn't fit? No. Wrong color? No. Not quite you? No. After you figure out what your style is not, you can become more flexible with fun items ... by then, you'll know how to make them work.

With time and a bit of research, you'll cultivate quite an eye. Good luck!

Apologies, I'm of the 'university' category, so I'm guessing I'm to young. Admittedly, I have not yet found my niche.

But since moving away from home and becoming more independent and less peer lead, I have decided that as much as I try, I simply can't identify with many 'trends.'

For a while I have been drawn to muted tones and discovered the amazing effects they have on my complexion. However, since many of my icons and many high street stores are pushing bolder colours, I avoided the muted tones like the plague. I have since decided that it is up to me to dress myself in order to feel the most beautiful (well, a girl can try!) and I haven't looked back since...

Granted, I look upon reds and blues and wish I could pass them off, but the truth is simple: I can't.

I have kinda the same problem as you.
I tend to dress myself down.
I feel like I'm a bit too insecure to express myself completely.
I do buy everything I love, but actually wearing it is another story
+ I'm not that great in matching my stuff
I feel like I never buy things that match my wardrobe
I always look kinda plain and simple
and the self-confidence tip is a great one..but still I don't like it when everyone looks at me..
I dress in a way so I don't really get noticed haha and I hate it!
But oh well..Im also young
It will get better in the future I think

but sometimes I don't really know what my style is
because I can like certain styles, but buy something that doesn't look like that at all..

(so many ''I's'' in this message, Im sorry)

I have had my own distinct personal style for years now. I completely agree w/gardenpea & wheresmyumbrella.

-Simple blouses, sweaters, skirts, trousers, and perfect-fitting jeans, and a suit that you can split up and wear anywhere
-Simple well-fitted coats: black peacoat, camel city coat, etc
-I make my outfits fun by throwing in one interesting piece such as pumps, a handbag, or an interesting piece of jewelry
-I never-ever wear too much jewelry: if i wear big earrings, i don't wear necklace, bracelet, etc
-Never match too much: it's looks cheesy
-Also, to make my ensembles more interesting, throw in a vintage piece such as a broach to fasten a scarf, my suede faux fur lined coat, or one of my parent's old concert tees
-I have an individual style which people have commented on for years now: classic-hippie-rock that's all my own

Also, I am a college student and have been dressing like this for years. I don't believe that style has any age, I have seen many 30-somethings+ w/terrible personal style. I believe that the bottom line is learn to know what works on you: what colors, style, etc, and run w/it. But, at the same time, don't limit yourself.

I know what I like but unfortunately what I like doesn't suit me, so there's always this conflict which I can't seem to resolve. Leaving me, sadly, styleless.

There's a great thread here on tfs called something like '10 things about your style.'

BellaCouture said:
(so many ''I's'' in this message, Im sorry)

(sorry to be corny:rolleyes: ) but i think the number of "I's" is quite appropriate. Because style is about YOU. :flower:

It has been aeons ago since I was there and believe me, I thought I had found it too.

Maybe you really did find your style. But that was aeons ago. People are always changing. I think people are looking for stability in themselves too much. You're older now, so dress like your new self. It doesn't mean that last week's style was wrong. If you have ecclectic tastes, then be ecclectic. You can just whip it into shape if you want. I would look for common links in the things that I like. What do most of the things you like have in common? Then exemplify it.

I guess what I'm saying is embrace change. But I do also understand those traits that haunt you your whole life. For me those things are kind of obvious. But just a little soul searching can do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
misssakura said:
I know what I like but unfortunately what I like doesn't suit me, so there's always this conflict which I can't seem to resolve. Leaving me, sadly, styleless.

I know what you mean, i went through this once upon a time. Do the opposite, try stuff you think you wouldn't wear, it works sometimes with good surprises. As someone else said, don't limit yourself, experiment, use and abuse of the fitting rooms! :wink:

OK, I'm 56, so I can answer, but I've got bad news for you. The answer won't stay the same as the years pass and your lifestyle changes. So maybe each time you thought you'd found it, you did, for that brief time period. And I caution that every thing I say is purely my opinion which is worth absolutely nothing, so I give it freely.

First, I would suggest finding out what classics suit you, and when I say "suits" you, I mean two things. You're totally comfortable in it, and people whose style is definitely not yours compliment you when you wear it. This will be your "job interview" look. Include a coat in this look. You probably won't wear the complete version of this look for anything but job interview type situations.

Then find the jeans for you. Try on lots and lots of pairs, and take your most critical friend along. Which basic shape, what type of pockets where on your backside, which waist? keep doing this from time to time as the years pass.

Branch out from these expressing your edginess, your wilder side, your response to the times and fashions changing, in the things you choose to go with the jeans and the different pieces of your job interview outfit. And then branch out from those.

Have you considered that maybe you're living in a place where your true style would make you stick out more than you want to stick out? I didn't have the confidence to carry off wearing what I wanted in small town
Appalachia. One of the benefits of travel is that you can reinvent yourself, and you may find that some of your reinventions are worth keeping. I ended up in NYC, where I felt like I could wear what I liked, even the extreme bits, and then somehow I was comfortable wearing them when I went back home to the mountains, too.

Good luck.

for a while I thought that I wanted to follow a certain style.... but I've decided that in doing that I wasn't being true to myself. Because whatever makes me happy is the style I should wear. Although I'm never overly girly I lean more towards classic/chic or so I'm told. I wish I were more daring at times, and I am venturing out there. For me I find my style through movies.. Not completely but I do love watching old movies just to see what they're wearing:blush:

I became bored with my style a year ago, and decided to try out many things in stores that I normally wouldn't. Result: I have a few things in my closet that I will never wear, usually things that are somehow extravagant that don't fit into my daily life (like a thin black silk pencil skirt, or a purple velvet skirt, or an 80s technicolor one... come to think of it, mainly skirts!)

But I realized through these mistakes that what I really wanted was... simplicity. I still try to incorporate many different styles into my wardrobe (the quirky look, mod, femme fatale, etc) because depending on the mood I'm in, I like my clothing to project a certain 'role', if you see what I mean. But I always prefer a clean, simple(ish) sillhouette, and I've realized that I prefer long, lean basics.

They are simply items that I naturally tend towards in stores (also pants/skirts that move or flow). I suggest that you should go with your instincts. Don't try to pick a piece of clothing simply because it seems interesting and new. It should appeal to you, either in color or in texture. And always find a flattering fit; don't give up (like I did) and buy something that doesn't fit you properly because you are discouraged.

Even if you end up with a wardrobe of clothes that are similar, you can coordinate them into simple outfits, and then attempt to find the one defining piece (accessory or clothing item) that will liven up your look and make it unique - for example, I have a silk obi-style belt that I often wear with dark sweaters and wide black pants. Or think of items that will put together a certain 'look' that you are working towards.

On the whole, I believe that we all, consciously or unconsciously, have personal style. All you need to do is to recognize the items that you naturally tend towards and determine whether they flatter you. If they do, you're on your way! And finally (I'm almost done now :P) I believe that very few people have a truly definable personal style... but there will always be something about the way you dress that makes it unique ^_^

I'm totally all over the place with my style.

Growing up I was punk/rave/goth and a lot of that comes out in my style sometimes.

BUT...I also have a very preppy and professional looking side.

I like to think of my personal style as preppy with a dark side.:lol:

i dont think its a problem at all
really
its about beign effortless
wear what you like
try different peices on and find nice combos
why should you try to fit into a niche or "determine" a sense of style
its transient
it changes
its so wonderful to change so embrace anything AND everything you can
wear what makes you feel great

I think you should just wear what makes you feel comfortable... If you know that certain styles suit you (like a mini skirt or wide leg trousers), then just wear them. It's easy. I've learned that anything high waisted looks good on me and it makes me feel comfortable, be it skirts or jeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->