Determining Your Personal Style

The most important thing I have learned is wearing things that fit your body well. Just because it's on sale or your favorite brand, doesn't mean you should pay for it if it doesn't fit you correctly.

Making sure things fit well before purchasing is very important. The material, color, price or designer name attached does not matter; it's about the fit and how it flatters you.

pixiewytch-I'm not sure what age you are, but from my personal experiance as one get a little older and lives thru all types of trends, you begin to creat your own style which is more and more refined. I also think everyone changes every few years.i only keep the styles that seem to work or compliment me in a certain way.

as people above have said, you can't ENTIRELY CHOOSE your personal style...for instance, i'd love to do the whole waif-y olsen twins thing, or the mod edie thing, but my double Ds+tiny waist+hips don't really lend themselves to that look. luuuckily, i like the vintage-y 50's look too, so my style is very influeced by that. (and also a dab of punky/goth :wink:)

i also think it's kind of like that thing john lennon said about life, but about style... it's what you wear while you're trying to figure out what your style is. hah.

^ I dunno, does that really prevent you from doing the Olsen thing (not that I'm encouraging that :P :wink:)?? I've got the DDs too, and while it prevents me from wearing certain designers and labels because they're not cut for me, I don't think they've ever kept me from doing a whole look ...

pixiewytch-I'm not sure what age you are, but from my personal experiance as one get a little older and lives thru all types of trends, you begin to creat your own style which is more and more refined. I also think everyone changes every few years.i only keep the styles that seem to work or compliment me in a certain way.

That is so so so true!! Now, I walk into clothing store, I am not as curious as I used to be. I do not want to try on and own every piece, yet I feel a lot of the stuff repulses me. I feel I will only spent my money on pieces I truely like and has good quality. I am feeling the "it is the modern version of that thing again". I would rather stick with what I have, than just buy it. Maybe I am getting old.:innocent:

I don't really have a style myself. I meant I do my best to looks good but at the end of the day all you can really do is just wear something comfortable and flattering.

^ I dunno, does that really prevent you from doing the Olsen thing (not that I'm encouraging that :P :wink:)?? I've got the DDs too, and while it prevents me from wearing certain designers and labels because they're not cut for me, I don't think they've ever kept me from doing a whole look ...

well i'm short too. idunno, just doesn't look right. i feel like that look represents a lifestyle that's for skinny boobless girls only haha

Only on a fashion board frequented by women would you hear that big bosoms are a problem *runs away*

More seriously at some point you'll just gravitate toward a main look with a peppering of diverging pieces to spice it up from time to time.

Mine goes something like:
Black sports coat, often tuxedo
white tee
black pants or jeans
white hi-tops or dark boots
silver rings and jewellery

It helps to have some sort of personal narrative that informs the whole thing and maybe some designers whose vision you subscribe to. For example I think of the social parasites from a novel I enjoyed who crash high society parties but are basically homeless so must wear rumpled but expensive menswear and, following that, go for the darker and more avant-garde sort of "gothic" designers but pair them with luxurious tailored clothing. Decaying luxe or rumpled elegance if you will.

my personal style is very eccentric, i would say its more eurocentric than anything else i.e. band t shirts straight legged jeans never skinny loads of cardigans and double breasted jackets and bold colours a bit diluted new rave meets typical londoner really

i dont think many people are restricted to certain styles...
i mean
i realize there a re certain cuts for certain bodies and certain deisgners fit differently but
i honestly dont disagree when people say short, larger women cant wear skinny jeans... I think they look fine, i mean there are better fits for them but its rediculous to say youre "restricted" to a certain fit of pant...

i dont think many people are restricted to certain styles...
i mean
i realize there a re certain cuts for certain bodies and certain deisgners fit differently but
i honestly dont disagree when people say short, larger women cant wear skinny jeans... I think they look fine, i mean there are better fits for them but its rediculous to say youre "restricted" to a certain fit of pant...

thats true, but with skinny jeans they really do look off:ninja:

how about making a mood board.. scrap book
colour copy / xerox all pics you find you like ,
especially those from random books .. history books, art photography , etc.

and they meld into one...

creating a unique look

me too

but sometimes it gets too much :P
like i have so many pictures now
mostly from the internet
so I can just print them off

I think it's also good to go with a theme.. mood .. and then work from there

I have the same problem too. For about 5 years now, my mother has been on my case about how I buy clothes, wear them once, and then they collect dust in my closet. The other day I was short on funds, so I gathered up my name brand clothing and sold them to a consignment shop. My mother insisted on looking through them and though I told her no, she did anyway and said, "You buy things because they're cute and when you being them home, you hate them. Buy thing you're actually going to wear that are giong to last."

5 years. I've been doing that for a long time.

How do you find a style? I can't seem to find one either. My taste is changing all the time, and I think I buy on impulse.

I have the same problem too. For about 5 years now, my mother has been on my case about how I buy clothes, wear them once, and then they collect dust in my closet. The other day I was short on funds, so I gathered up my name brand clothing and sold them to a consignment shop. My mother insisted on looking through them and though I told her no, she did anyway and said, "You buy things because they're cute and when you being them home, you hate them. Buy thing you're actually going to wear that are giong to last."

5 years. I've been doing that for a long time.

How do you find a style? I can't seem to find one either. My taste is changing all the time, and I think I buy on impulse.

Take a look at our thread "How to start the fashion thing" ... :flower: It's all about developing personal style.

I buy alot on impoulse too papa_lavante
i dont neseserily think its a bad thing
if i buy on impulse it means im buying with what i have in mind and not any outside judgement\
that said i have made some bad purchases but for the most part i wear the stuff i buy
if i dont end up wearign it i give it away to good will..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->