Dior Men F/W 2020.21 Paris

I cannot contain my excitement over this. Kim Jones has quickly become my favourite menswear designer. Dare I say this is the type of collection I would have expected from Dries as it is elegant and plays along that line of what is masculine and what is feminine flawlessly. I want so many pieces from this collection it's insane. LOVE.

Very beautiful and elevated! I love this... Total opposite of the « cash cow » Miami collection. I’ve seen a lot of beautiful or interesting pieces from this menswear season but this is really the first collection that gives full looks. It’s beautiful in a very unapproachable way.
I’m more and more interested in the idea of Kim doing womenswear for Dior (if it’s to deliver something as elevated).

Dare I say this is the type of collection I would have expected from Dries

Well, as I was first looking at it, some styling tricks reminded of Dries in fact (long shirts or silk robes under jackets or blazers, a certain taste for feminine fabrics used for men, the general attitude of the models), but this is because Dries' influence runs much deeper in the menswear conversation than he is generally credited for. And certainly it's a pity that this season Dries himself presented such a disappointing collection.
But I do agree with you that this time KJ really nailed it and, more importantly, found a convincing way to connect a man's wardrobe with the storied past of the maison (Slimane's Dior Homme work, influential as it was at the time, had not much to do with the work of the founder, apart from the name on the label).

I’m more and more interested in the idea of Kim doing womenswear for Dior (if it’s to deliver something as elevated).

Lola, I was thinking the exact same thing going through these photos. I feel it would be beautiful !

For me, there's not much here that screams gimme-gimme-gimme. Nice clothes, but that's about it.

But I saw the livestream, and I have to say, as a runway collection, this show was really fantastic. Everything worked very well together: clothes/styling/hair/make-up/set design/music. Him and his whole team really knocked it out the ballpark this time.

I'm glad to see Kim come into his own @ Dior. It seems like the folks at Dior are taking his menswear really seriously and are really invested in what he has to offer, so I'm all for that. I didn't see that at all with Vuitton, so more often than not, his talents seem to be wasted there.

And that finale coat...glad to see their atelier utilizing their skills for us Hommes, too.

Thumbs up from me.

And another thing: I notice "Dior" now being spelled in all-caps: "DIOR". I see it at the store here, plus on that shirt. Is that a new development? If so, that's a really minor change, but a change that, I think, makes for a much bolder statement.

^^
Fabien Baron did the new Logo if u remember well and when Jones joined Dior, the menswear stopped being Dior Homme and became DIOR men. So they have unified the whole thing...
I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future one CD takes charge of all Dior.

I'm glad to see Kim come into his own @ Dior. It seems like the folks at Dior are taking his menswear really seriously and are really invested in what he has to offer, so I'm all for that. I didn't see that at all with Vuitton, so more often than not, his talents seem to be wasted there.

And that finale coat...glad to see their atelier utilizing their skills for us Hommes, too.

Thumbs up from me.

Vuitton, as big as it is didn’t really had a developped RTW operation (for both womenswear and menswear) and I think it had an impact on the first part of his tenure. The fact that there was an anticipation for his clothes and the arrival of Nicolas (who wanted to develop the RTW more) helped him...
Now, at Dior he can really express himself as there’s an exciting faithful clientele, an anticipation and a real commercial success.

I have to say that I find it so ironic that the hottest bag at Dior right now for both lines is the Saddle. LVMH can’t escape Galliano. His legacy is so strong that almost a decade since he left, it is still making money for the brand.
He deserves royalties at this point.

I just don’t get the appeal of this look....and it’s so prevalent in menswear now...from so many brands....

It’s this really fussy, dweeby, faux-insouciance, with everything looking brand-spanking-new, self-consciously luxurious, and always with goofy pops of color...it’s weird.

Nothing looks grown up. Nothing looks real. Nothing looks masculine. And that’s not even to mention how decidedly unsexy it all is.

Last edited:
The styling is overwrought ar the beggining but the simpler offerings are as good as ever. I really like the slickness of his Dior, the same thing that dior_couture finds so uninviting. In real life I think I would be a Yohji guy but it's nice to dream a bit and it makes sense for Dior.

I so want the Fragonard sweater in mint.

it's nice to dream a bit and it makes sense for Dior.
You have found the perfect word: dream!
The Dior man by Kim Jones or even his Vuitton man are not a reality. Nobody dresses like that and even their customers don’t dress in that stylish way. Thom Brown, Balmain, Tom Ford or Yohji are more real than this.

That’s what makes his Dior strong. KVA did beautiful suits but I don’t remember people having that much excitement over his stuff.

Well this is massive improvement from that awful collection in Miami. There are some wonderful pieces here even if they did go a bit too heavy with the styling.

The last coat really is the stuff of dreams but it reminds me of something Sarah would do at McQueen.

Nothing new or ground breaking ...but this is the best Menswear collection of this season ...Extremely coherent...well tailored...sharp cuts ...i LOVE this ....

It’s very beautiful!! And more importantly more mature than that awful cash grab Miami collection.

He’s very smart. He knows when to pepper in those “wow” pieces to keep us interested but mostly keep things commercial.

I am not a huge fan of Kim Jones but this is not a disappointment. I think it is not a bad collection for very old men to wear. And also I love to see some pearls back Dior.

I think he’s so ready to take over the womenswear. (Or at least i hope so)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
limonjuices
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->