Dries van Noten

lucky, congrats! I saw this post on the j&j blog and thought of you...I guess you and the sweater are meant to be :smile:

thanks, sometimes it actually pays to wait...who would have thunk it?

i saw this scarf at eva gentry and asked them how it would look as a skirt and a top. they put it on a mannequin and sent me these photos and i was sold. there are 16 different woodblocks used for this particular piece. The artisans first carve out the motifs on a woodblock and then engineer the placements into this composition. The trim is embroidered, and then handsewn to close the back so there are no topstitches.

i think its something special, hope you do too.

evagentry.com

Attachments

• DSC_0926.jpg
    DSC_0926.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 138
  • web.jpg
    web.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 6
  • web2.jpg
    web2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 5
  • web3.jpg
    web3.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 2
^ Lovely! And even more so to have something made using such an old artisanal method ...

Lucky, indeed the scarf is something special, it looks spectacular as a top. I can imagine u wearing it that way with some black pants, among other ways...

Enjoy it! :smile:

lucky - gorgeous scarf! I love it's versatility, color, print - and to top it off, it's construction. Great buy!

Dries is really good this season. I love all the tops Eva Gentry has. I can't wait to try on some pieces.

lucky, the scarf is gorgeous! i've been agonizing over it myself, perhaps you have saved me the trouble and it's sold out :wink: i like it as a scarf best.

mona, i agree, all the tops at eva gentry are gorgeous. i really love the tunic and the canary tuck top especially (i'm afraid to know the price of the canary tuck top). this is definitely a good season for Dries, clothes for women, not girls! ^_^

OMG, you guys are so sweet :flower:. I'm happy my eyes werent the only ones blinding by Dries' accolades this season. I love that their is a story behind every thread of fabric he chose and of course never a reason to quip about the handwork he puts into each piece.

fortunately the scarf is huge and i will be able to find many ways to incorporate it into many outfits, it will be the focal point at times and others a dash of artisan splash.

i love that canary tuck top too tourist, its a statement piece. cant wait to see what else evagentry gets next for dries since ann d is so disappointing this season (except the shoes ;-). interesting though when i was at barneys early in the year they had the worst DVN selection of this season and i was convinced it would be hard to find anything i wanted, so it just goes to show that you need a keen eye for a well edited selection more so than buying just to fill the racks. There are some real misses out there but the gems will go fast...i hope to see more posted of this season by you guys soon. :heart:

^ I can see how this season will be hit or miss, depending on the buy. I'm curious to know if Eva Gentry to will up more of the prints, which are amazing.

love the print of this scarf:
32-2.jpg

and the print on this is gorgeous as well:
30-1.jpg

credits for both, http://www.mattotti.co.jp

one thing though, because of all the beading and stitching, it seems like a lot of pieces are a bit out of reach for me, in terms of price (though I still feel they are worth it). i'm hoping to pick up a scarf from this collection, although the beaded scarfs are quite expensive as well!

more woodblock prints... so pretty. if the top and scarf have the weight of the silk that i just bought than i can see why they drape so beautifully.

eva gentry actually came in quite reasonably priced for the same scarf than in other stores. i know they are getting more prints in tee's.

^ good to know! Browns has that ikat print beaded scarf for around $730 :doh: oh well. lucky, the scarf you got is still the loveliest though!! I'll wait to see what monamoore gets in stock in terms of scarves (and shoes!!)

tourist and lucky - agreed on the canary top. It's beautiful!

I'm also really drawn to the Danae shirtdress. In the past year or so my closest has evolved into so many neutrals. I'm surprisingly drawn to this pattern/color scheme.

DanaeShirtdress.jpg
pic Eva Gentry

I haven't been paying attention to Dries shoes this season. Has anyone seen any?

shoes have some similarities to last year. the heel shape and i believe the toe box is the same.

mona, i like the dress too but wonder if it is the type of print that you need to see on to know if it works for you.

mona - i know what you mean about being drawn to color/print right now. personally, this is my favorite print in this collection (along with my favorite dress ... i wish i could think of an excuse for why i *need* it)
00110m.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :heart: Looks so easy and cool (as in temperature :wink:) in the summertime ... a little hard to remember what the heat is like at the moment :huh:

i saw this scarf at eva gentry and asked them how it would look as a skirt and a top. they put it on a mannequin and sent me these photos and i was sold. there are 16 different woodblocks used for this particular piece. The artisans first carve out the motifs on a woodblock and then engineer the placements into this composition. The trim is embroidered, and then handsewn to close the back so there are no topstitches.

i think its something special, hope you do too.

evagentry.com

From which collection is this scarf?
I've got a similar one...well the same..but it's not Dries.I am so happy now:cry:I am gonna wear it all the time till get some Dries's scarfs.

These are my favourite s/s 2010 so if you know what the price could be..that would be great.

00270m.jpg

00020m.jpg

00340m.jpg

00360m.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
EnVogueLove - I haven't seen those particular items, but you may want to take a look at the online sellers of Dries to get a sense for what they may cost (brownsfashions.com, joanshepp.com, mytheresa.com, www.antonioli.edu). Generally, the more embroidered/beaded/etc the item, the higher the price!

So there's an interesting discussion in DvN F/W 2010 thread about how easily (or not) Dries items can integrate into a wardrobe, and I thought we could continue the discussion here. The question is whether you need to commit to the Dries look when wearing his clothes. I think I get stuck either trying to create a Dries look or wearing the items very simply with good basics. Take for example this skirt, which I wear a lot. It's a basic shape, which makes it easy to wear. But I wear it in perhaps not very adventurous ways. This outfit is my best way of chaneling the runway look. But otherwise, I usually just wear it with simple sweaters and tops.

And then I have this top, which is languishing in my closet. It has a beautiful drape and really works well with many skirts. But for some reason, I have outerwear issues with it. I often feel stuck looking at the runway pictures for inspiration.

Other people here, like softgrey and luckyme (and I'm sure others) find ways to wear Dries in unexpected ways, which I really admire :heart:

btw, both the top and the skirt (oh, and the shoes!) are from one of my favorite collections, f/w 2005 ^_^ I would live in that collection. I guess that's committing to the Dries look, once again! :lol:

Attachments

• dries_top.jpg
    dries_top.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member