Elisabeth Bergner

somnambule said:
i was hunting for elisabeth bergner pictures again and eventually captured two:
the second one is also in her autobiography btw...
haha, sorry, and you're far from being an ignorant person :smile:
i always think people in africa speak french or english, i tend to forget there's afrikaan as well. and then the local tongues.

:lol: i know that sammy character isnt even aware of the impact of his music overseas, some even use it as a German language tool :innocent:

i loved the first pic you posted! :heart:
i should contribute with something ..sorry if this has already been posted:doh: :
0002EBergner1.jpg

somnambule said:
Ps.:i like your new avatar,mulletproof :heart: .who or what is it?
thanks!, i grabbed it from luxmode's Bettina Komenda thread. it's an ad from callaghan.

kop03_01.jpg

i found it! i found it! *inmybroadestsaxonaccent* thanks, somnambule.
what a wonderful thread. it will take me a little time to go through it all.

anna karina said:
i still haven't bought the autobiography:doh:

if you still haven't read it, i think i should prompt you a little further: it's maybe one of the loveliest life stories i have ever read. although she conceals more than she tells it's a wonderful read ["i worked with xy but i don't remember what he was like [...] then i went to munich but i can't recall anything from that time [...] after that i played the *** but i don't remember the play at all." and so on. just when i thought "aw, how cute is that?" she apologized to the reader for it. :D], i think she was a really nice person. (and not that self-absorbed as it might seem from those extracts. on contrary even.)

Attachments

• elisabeth bergner - steichen (fp1.com).jpg
    elisabeth bergner - steichen (fp1.com).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2
  • elisabeth bergner (britishpictures.com).jpg
    elisabeth bergner (britishpictures.com).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
  • elibeth bergner (cinefania.com).jpg
    elibeth bergner (cinefania.com).jpg
    4 KB · Views: 27
her films..

der geiger von florenz (1925/1926)

the picture with the violin is so lovely. :heart:

Attachments

• eb-geiger von florenz.jpg
    eb-geiger von florenz.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-geiger von florenz3.jpg
    eb-geiger von florenz3.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-geiger von florenz4.jpg
    eb-geiger von florenz4.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-geiger von florenz2.jpg
    eb-geiger von florenz2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
fraeulein else (1928/1929)

Attachments

• eb-fraeulein else3.jpg
    eb-fraeulein else3.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-fraeulein else2.jpg
    eb-fraeulein else2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-fraeulein else.jpg
    eb-fraeulein else.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 27
der traeumende mund (1932)

Attachments

• eb-der traeumende mund.jpg
    eb-der traeumende mund.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-der traeumende mund2.jpg
    eb-der traeumende mund2.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-der traeumende mund3.jpg
    eb-der traeumende mund3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 27
der pfingstausflug (1978)

Attachments

• eb-der pfingstausflug.jpg
    eb-der pfingstausflug.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-der pfingstausflug3.jpg
    eb-der pfingstausflug3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 27
  • eb-der pfingstausflug2.jpg
    eb-der pfingstausflug2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 27
"ist der leser noch da?"

Attachments

• eb3.jpg
    eb3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 27
  • eb1.jpg
    eb1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 27
  • eb4.jpg
    eb4.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 27
more ebay.. :innocent:

Attachments

• ebay1.JPG
    ebay1.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ebay2.JPG
    ebay2.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 27
the last ones from ebay. :innocent:

Attachments

• eb8 (ebay).jpg
    eb8 (ebay).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
  • eb6 (ebay).jpg
    eb6 (ebay).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
  • eb7 (ebay).jpg
    eb7 (ebay).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1
thanks for reviving this thread,northernsky :flower:!where do you always find these wonderful pictures :woot:?!when i searched for pictures of her i came up with next to nothing.so thank you very much!!!i´m going to write more the next time.my brain isn´t in the mood for working write now :blush:.
i hope that anna k and mulletproof will also find her way baclk to this thread :heart:.

google and too much free time, i guess. :blush:

from arte.de

Attachments

• eb2 (arte).bmp
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
  • eb (arte).bmp
    235 KB · Views: 0
has somebody seen her in one of her films? i always admired actresses who stuck to the theatre, if that's what they wanted to live for, but i regret that theatre performances are gone forever, as close as you can get.

elisabeth bergner in as you like it. (i forgot, who did she play? rosalind?)

they made it a film with laurence olivier and her in 1936.

Attachments

• elisabeth4 (getty).jpg
    elisabeth4 (getty).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • elisabeth2 (getty).jpg
    elisabeth2 (getty).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
apparently my brain was on holidays when i wrote my last message .i hope you could understand my gibberish:doh: .

northernsky,google loves you more than me then :lol:.but as long as you keep posting such beautiful pictures i certainly won´t complain :flower:.
i saw "pfingstausflug" and "fräulein else" from the films you posted.both were great in their own way.what is interesting is that fräulein else was made almost at the beginning of her screen-career whereas "pfingstausflug" was one of her last.it´s kind of a miracle that she hadn´t changed that much.the expression on her face,her laughter,her eyes remained pretty much the same.in general it´s hard for me to describe what i feel when i watch her because i could easily sound ridiculous.there´s just something about her, an inner "leuchten" that is apparent in all of the roles i´ve seen her in.and her laughter seems "wise" as if she knew it all and would be laughing despite of it.....something i can only describe as "divine or enlightened serenity".i´ve only seen her in one silent film: "fräulein else" and after watching it i was even more impressed by her than i was before.in only 1h 30 min she managed to develop her character from a light-hearted young woman who enjoys life to a tortured being who kills herself and she achieves this with great subtlety.....no great gestures.the same in catharine the great.i don´t like the film itself very much ,but she shows an equally impressive character-development there.from an innocent young woman who happens to be married to the tsar to a powerful,omnipotent tsaress.but no matter what or whom she plays i always find it somehow "wohltuend" to watch her.she´s always real,which cannot be said about many actresses.
i think i´ll take a short trip to ebay to look for more pictures (und strafe google mit missachtung B) ).

i told a friend that i was thinking about having my hair cut like elisabeth bergner's, but she didn't know who e.b. was and asked google about it, and naturally it came up with the fraeulein else-picture at first. you see, google does not love me. it spreads rumours and tells my friends i was a punk. :lol:

i think i get your impressions of her. :flower: of course, i cannot be sure about it, but the impression that she always seemed so real as you said, probably stems from her intuitive acting, or how shall i put it..? she never analyzed a role - she knew if a role suited her or not, but she never decided how a role had to look on stage and how she could realise this and so on, she played very intuitive, almost somnambulistic (she never even remembered her performances on stage ^_^ ) so there should be nothing that could be seen as intentional in her play, used to get an effect.. and so one has to get the impression of her being real --- but that are only my speculations. to me she seemed to be a natural talent, a born actress, at least telling from her not describing her acting style in her memoirs (because she apparently wasn't aware of an "acting style"), and her not over-analysing things beside the stage, too, but having a kind of understanding without that. i hope i don't sound like a complete imbecile talking like that. :unsure:

some more pictures from getty. i love her profile. so fragile and perfect. :heart:

Attachments

• elisabeth6 (getty).jpg
    elisabeth6 (getty).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
  • elisabeth7 (getty).jpg
    elisabeth7 (getty).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
poster and film still from "der traeumende mund"

[from ebay]

Attachments

• eb plaket (ebay).jpg
    eb plaket (ebay).jpg