Elizabeth and James : by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen

eh. I like some of the peices, but its seems so overpriced. I would put this in line with something like Milly or Paul and Joe, marc by marc maybe. I think they should have thought about the price point more before putting it out there. I feel like it would be more successful at a slightly lower price.

i agree. i think that although i will most definately get some items, a lower proce would entice me a bit more. i feel as though i am part of their target market yet i would be just as happy with something from marc by marc jacobs or any other brand of that scale. ehhh but i still want to see it in person before i finalize that statement. the look could totally be there when i get to nm tomorrow lol

^AAHHHHHH!!! SO glad this is online. I'm buying the dandy jacket and the satin hot shorts. :smile:

The prices are just a little over what I would truly call "affordable," though. It's almost insulting that they can be that distant from reality to think that the average (even the average fashion-savvy) person can drop that amount freely. :(

Theres a couple nice pieces there but I cant afford it either & its supposed to be their affordable line. :ermm:

this is a ridiculous line like i stated before.

When i think affordable olsen-wise, i though guess, esprit, or somewhere of that range.

This is a little too much.

I think they're missing out on a huge opportunity to capitalize on their true market. Which are teens without much money. If they had done a Kate Moss top shop like line they would have done very well. I don't think most people realize that quantity & low price vs. high quality & high price often is much more lucrative. But I guess their tastes are too beyond the average person at this point and they would not have been passionate about lower chain retailing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're missing out on a huge opportunity to capitalize on their true market. Which are teens without much money. If they had done a Kate Moss top shop like line they would have done very well. I don't think most people realize that quantity & low price vs. high quality & high price often is much more lucrative. But I guess their tastes are too beyond the average person at this point and they would not have been passionate about lower chain retailing.

I don't think they care to capitalize. Sure they want the lines to be successful, but Ashley seems so hard core into fashion, and wants a certain type of person to wear this. Besides they've already done the WalMart mass market thing.

Australian weekly magazine NW is reporting that Mary-Kate is pregnant. Because of that picture of her coming from the weeds set. I didn't buy the magazine because my friend always buys it. I'm such a cheapskate!

If a woman cannot afford a designer garment, how does she think they could find the money to pay for a pair of $275 jeans?

I think the twins may be out of touch with reality regarding what's actually considered affordable. They spend thousands on couture so I guess by their standard $500 for a dress is small change.

That's probably true, though I'm sure they have people to do market research and tell them. And even they can see it's only slightly cheaper than The Row on the whole.

There are a few nice pieces but as other people have mentioned I can get better quality, more prestigious brands at lower prices. A lot of the stuff doesn't look particularly nicely tailored or good material, though that may just be the pictures. It's too expensive to be "everyday shopping" for most of their target range (many of whom are probably students) but not high couture enough to be considered a special treat like The Row might be.

This is exactly what they are avoiding. That is why the olsen name is not on any of their new lines, they don't want kids to buy their stuff. They are now aiming at high fashion and they want the line to fall in the same category as couture. I bet if it wasn't mentioned that the Olsen's own the lines no one would have guessed it was from them. I actually think it's great what they are trying to do and it seems very successful so far, just imagine the money they are raking in with E&J and The Row.

This is exactly what they are avoiding. That is why the olsen name is not on any of their new lines, they don't want kids to buy their stuff. They are now aiming at high fashion and they want the line to fall in the same category as couture. I bet if it wasn't mentioned that the Olsen's own the lines no one would have guessed it was from them. I actually think it's great what they are trying to do and it seems very successful so far, just imagine the money they are raking in with E&J and The Row.

yeah i understand but the two lines are almost the same. Wasnt the row suppose to be highend and EJ was suppose to be low end. They have stated themselves it for people who understands high fashion but doesnt necessarily want to pay the price.

The focus of the two lines are different but the price range is almost the same so why not just have one?

i agree. and then it makes me wonder who is left to buy/afford their clothing line? do u think older people who can afford it will really be like "yeah i want to buy something from the olsen twins line?" no they will want to buy other top/seasoned designer clothing...

They missed the mark here. It's ridiculous to say they don't want kids to buy it. Of course they don't,that line is already done at Wal-Mart. They did the high fashion and a kid's line,now what about the market in between? It's silly to think that people with no fashion sense would buy it if it were priced like that of KM for Top Shop. A lot of the girls here who care about fashion and respect their style just as much as anyone else, simply can't afford to spend $300.00 on a pair of pants or $800.00 on a dress. It's not really rocket science it's cut and dry.

"Overpriced" doesn't even begin to describe this. Over $200 for a pair of black leggings, something you can find at most other stores for less than $20? It's nothing short of ridiculous and deceiving to say the collection is intended for women with a budget.

Yes I probably wouldn't really have a problem with the pricing - except to say that it is expensive and I wish I could afford it, and the pricing is rather similar to The Row which seems odd to me. (Whats the point of creating two lines?)
The reason I DO have a problem with the pricing is the same as everyone else, they said the collection was designed for those who appreciate fashion but are unable to spend the money on high end designer items. The pricing seems higher end to me...
Too bad...

ridiculous prices for basic pieces.

some garments that are obviously not basic, are somewhat reasonably priced.

I agree, which leads me to yet again question Ashley's quote from this WWD article: "...Elizabeth and James is intended for a woman who wants a designer garment but cannot afford it."

If a woman cannot afford a designer garment, how does she think they could find the money to pay for a pair of $275 jeans?
they probably have lived in this multi-millionaire bubble for so long they've forgotten what affordable means.

besides, everything in this collection can be found elsewhere for cheaper. it looks like stuff that you can find at h&m or forever 21. sure the quality and details won't be as good but they are trendy clothes that won't be worn forever. the only piece that really caught my eye on neiman's website was the hooded jacket.

I understand their intentions behind E&J and why they feel the price might be justified in their minds. But I'm still a little let down because I really love almost everything from that line but I can't afford it all..:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyofsecrets
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->