Expensive Skin Care

eunhe said:
i have used La Mer for the past five years and initially thought it was great.. however I've recently switched over to the much cheaper "Patricia Wexler" line and I couldn't be happier!! The glycolic acid peel is AWESOME and so is her daily SPF 30 moisturizer. I'm also using "acnostat" at night. I've always had intermittent adult acne with hyperpigmentation - my skin now, however, has never looked better. Maybe it's the new skin care?
Ah yes! We carry Wexler at our store (and sell it darn well, I'm 18 and I can sell it to people 3 times my age) and you will be happy to know that we have a new Acnescription kit in that is $39.50 for the one-month supply and you get a cleanser, the oil-free hydrator with SPF 30, the glycolic peel, and then one other thing I can't remember off the top of my head. It seems that we have come out with some new Wexler products because of the Acnescription launch, and some things have new packaging.

I myself have not tried much in the Wexler, however the reason why your skin might be looking better is because all the Wexler products have MMPi-20 technology in them which is her famous technology that inhibits the activity of all 20 MMP enzymes which are bad for the skin.

I have tried all sorts in all price ranges & am really happy with Olay Regenerist daily regenerating solution. It is not expensive (£20.00 approx) and really suits my skin which is not as young as it was, but still has a lot of natural oil.

I like affordable skincare. Olay and neutrogena suit my fancy. All I know is la mer is just glorified vaseline and nothing more.

I've tried many of the more expensive brands like Shiseido, Clarins, Lancôme, Kanebo.

But I could never see much difference in my skin.
Shiseido has really nice products but I dont think they are worth the money, at least not for me.

A few months ago I've bought the moisturizer and the toner from Kanebo's silk skincare range.
But my skin didn't like it, it gave me little bumps and zits.

So I'm back to my Weleda almond products. They are really cheap compared to Kanebo and my skin looks so much better.

I have not been posting here for a while,
but always nip back to see whats going on.
high end skin care products dont have to be
over priced.
I know ... its my business

I,ve heard alot of positive reviews about Orchidee Imperiale
by Guerlain , it is a "miracle cream" as theSA told me!!?? I love the packaging so far..
haveanyone tried it yet?

^^Of course the SA told you that. Haha. I'm a wh*re like I said earlier in the thread for skincare and promises of "miracles" and luxury packaging have drawn me in in the past, but I recently got a reality check from my aesthetician who told me the skin caviar luxe was irritating my skin because its fragranced. It's not anything more than a shimmer really anyway...it hardly hydrates your skin and for $350 you only get 1.7 oz. It was a gift. Anyway I was overcleansing my skin and really just addressing the top layer of it and excluding internally its many tissues and layers beneath the surface. I still use staples from Revive (the $600 serum that I would never spend my money on but that I get as a gift whenever I run out by my employer) and Natura Bisse, but mostly I use Biologique Recherche and to pay $60 for a cream compared to $200-$500 is a deal for me, and the results are fabulous. I think its easy to be drawn into lines like Guerlain, La Prairie, La Mer because of the price and the marketing and the people who work for them are usually very well trained and can talk people into buying lots of stuff, but less is better. I finally got wise and now instead of 14 products on my face I've cut it in half and use 7. That may still sound like a lot, but it's two cleansers (one for when I'm feeling maybe a bit tight or fatigued and one for everyday) an exfoliating toner, a serum, a mask, one moisturizer and an eye cream. And then of course my sunscreen. I guess that makes it 8. :lol:

There will not be any "miracle cream" in the near future. By law, cosmetics are not allowed to make any molecular changes in the skin...so despite all the promises and claims of expensive skincare, they will not reseverse aging, which will make them illegal. They can mask the appearance of flaws and produce some beneficiary properties but never significantly change the skin...unless it's a prescription product, which is then called a drug, not cosmetics...
However, most expensive products do contain pricier ingredients, regardless of their efficacy, and higher concentration of emollients so the prices may be justifiable in that way... but also keep in mind tthat you are paying for the higher production fee for a smaller market and high marketing/branding expenses

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know about the new line by Stella McCartney (Care by Stella McCartney)?

just curious.

I'm trying to find a new facial cleanser for normal/oily asian skin. is shiseido any good? is it worth the money?

shiseido is definatly good. Weather its worth the money is relative I think. Expensive skin care uses higher quality ingredients and is typically somewhat, but nothing miraculous.

the SKII mask are the best thing to used .. REALLY .. what it does is it puts back mositure back into your face .. creating this glow and then it brightens up your face . now they have also come outta with a whitenting range mask that has a higher level of whitening source inside them. but i want to WARN you they are VERY VERY expensive .. n it comes in packets .. they are not your squeeze outta cream - they are your put on mask then you throw them away after a certain time .. so if you have the cash - do it almost every other day then you will see a differences .. really .. i have frens who needs to look their best for their wedding days and they do it for 2 weeks leading to the day of the wedding and yeh they look great ... flawless skin ...
I have this mask and accidentally tore off a corner of it and now i have it in a ziploc bag sealed air tight. I'm going to buy the box of six for $75.

I love this thread. I've wanted to reply to so many different people. I must keep reading it. I use mostly all La Prairie, some little bit of Clarins, and now I want to try Sisley. I hate La Mer.

^^Of course the SA told you that. Haha. I'm a wh*re like I said earlier in the thread for skincare and promises of "miracles" and luxury packaging have drawn me in in the past, but I recently got a reality check from my aesthetician who told me the skin caviar luxe was irritating my skin because its fragranced. It's not anything more than a shimmer really anyway...it hardly hydrates your skin and for $350 you only get 1.7 oz. It was a gift. Anyway I was overcleansing my skin and really just addressing the top layer of it and excluding internally its many tissues and layers beneath the surface. I still use staples from Revive (the $600 serum that I would never spend my money on but that I get as a gift whenever I run out by my employer) and Natura Bisse, but mostly I use Biologique Recherche and to pay $60 for a cream compared to $200-$500 is a deal for me, and the results are fabulous. I think its easy to be drawn into lines like Guerlain, La Prairie, La Mer because of the price and the marketing and the people who work for them are usually very well trained and can talk people into buying lots of stuff, but less is better. I finally got wise and now instead of 14 products on my face I've cut it in half and use 7. That may still sound like a lot, but it's two cleansers (one for when I'm feeling maybe a bit tight or fatigued and one for everyday) an exfoliating toner, a serum, a mask, one moisturizer and an eye cream. And then of course my sunscreen. I guess that makes it 8. :lol:
Oh God. How annoying I sounded under this name. :blush: I dont like that aesthetician anymore and I dont use the P50 on my face from Biologique Recherche anymore after getting back to La Prairie....I find La Prairie most gentle and effective for my skin, and I was suckered into the Biologique by a woman at a spa. For me, LP works best and the BR P50 toner is very stripping!

Well its a year later. I now will contradict myself yet again. :lol:

I'm back to using tons and tons of products, and its just awful, my obsessive-compulsiveness with shopping, and new 'rare' skin lines and expensive products, and for me at least, I think something I'm using or the combo of everything might be making my skin dry or dull, it's just not as pretty as it once was. I do not have breakouts ever on my forehead and occasionally I will get them there now, just small papules (not a pustule which develops the white blood cells and waste to extract) and I feel my skin is lacking the radiance it usually has.

Just today I used the Dermalogica PreCleanse (I always use this before cleansing, and I've been using it for at least 6 months, I dont know if the oils are disrupting my skin, but then I used Biologique Recherche's VIP02 Oxygenating Cleansing Beauty Milk which is really nice, then my La Prairie toner (very fragranced, could be this) and then Clarins Skin Beauty Repair Concentrate and then La Prairie Anti-Aging Complex 'Intervention Cream'

haha. How DARE La Prairie. They're just way too expensive now. I will continue buying the Foam Cleanser and the Skin Caviar collection, maybe the Desensitizing and Retexturizing serums will remain in my routine, but I'm also using Natura Bisse line-their cleanser, their masks, two of their moisturizers, a serum, and then I've become obsessed with yet something else, ReVive. I have their 600 serum and rarely use it because it was frickin 600 DOLLARS! It really does plump up lines though, I have some faint expression lines on my forehead and they disappeared when I use this.

NOW La Prairie-why I say how dare them-they bring out a new $1000 cream and a serum for $650. :o

I love La Prairie's marketing (sarcasm)-read 'the customer'
CELLULAR CREAM PLATINUM RARE, 50ml
Pure ● Rare ● Eternal
$1,000.00

The most precious metal on earth now empowers your most precious asset; your skin.
  • Pure Platinum inspires perfect balance to improve hydration, protection and receptivity to nutrients.
  • Exclusive Smart Crystals™ help guard skin's youthful appearance, actively reducing the effects of time resulting in noticeable lift, firmness and the reduction of lines and wrinkles.
  • Climate-activated hydration adjusts to changing humidity levels and temperatures, continuously providing the perfect level of moisture.
  • Each Cellular Cream Platinum Rare is handcrafted in a package that combines the grace and power of ancient sacred geometry with space-age sleek minimalism.
  • The accompanying applicator has been crafted using the chemical symbol for Platinum, which combines the Sun and Moon, with a Swarovski crystal to symbolize the capturing of light.
  • 1.7 oz.. / 50 ml
the customer:
appreciates all that is pure and rare; knows that she deserves the best in the world; wants a light, comfortable texture with high performance benefits

O
M
G

:rolleyes:

laprairie.com

la prairie is wonderful as well as la mer and sk-II, those are the main brands i use.

and i agree with guessgirl, it's expensive because they use higher quality ingredients, but it won't cause miracles.

I just started using La Prairie's Anti-Ageing Eye Cream SPF 15 - I mainly want it to firm the eyes. Has anyone used this and seen results?

I've used that eye cream but I dont think I used it long enough to see results. Pretty much just stick with something not incredibly overpriced (like La Prairie's Cellular Radiance Eye-Its beautiful and reflects lights because there are particles in it but its insanely expensive-$275!)

The Cellular Eye Contour Cream is very nice and hydrating, I recommend that too.

la prairie is wonderful as well as la mer and sk-II, those are the main brands i use.

and i agree with guessgirl, it's expensive because they use higher quality ingredients, but it won't cause miracles.

You should try out Guerlain. I love their Super Aqua serum. My face was really dehydrated but after using it regularly for a month I noticed visible results and my face is nice and hydrated. it's expensive but I do think higher quality ingredients make a difference

oops, forgot to mention: bit pigmentation and red irritation also -> any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->