Expensive Skin Care

misssakura said:
I read a book recently...I think it was called "A guide to healthy skin" and it stated that no product would ever help the skin, and that it is best to wash with regular soap and water and not use moisturiser as there wasn't a single product out on the market that was beneficial for the skin. I was a bit confused by this because

a) i've always been told never to use soap on the face
b) I do notice a difference between cheap skin products and expensive ones (e.g. I love biotherm moisturiser which is $40 a go as opposed to neutrogena at $6 a go)

I know that you have to eat healthily to get the basics of good skin but i've always believed that more expensive products could help the skin...so i'm not really sure what to think now.

No moisturizer???:shock:

skin needs to be moisturized.

misssakura said:
I read a book recently...I think it was called "A guide to healthy skin" and it stated that no product would ever help the skin, and that it is best to wash with regular soap and water and not use moisturiser as there wasn't a single product out on the market that was beneficial for the skin. I was a bit confused by this because

a) i've always been told never to use soap on the face
b) I do notice a difference between cheap skin products and expensive ones (e.g. I love biotherm moisturiser which is $40 a go as opposed to neutrogena at $6 a go)

I know that you have to eat healthily to get the basics of good skin but i've always believed that more expensive products could help the skin...so i'm not really sure what to think now.

This is intresting! I actually do notice that my skin tends to break out more when I use moisturizer and sun screen (both oil free and not cheap), but at the same time my skin peels w/o miusturizer and the sunscreen protects it, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils. It was kind of odd that when I came off all the different prescription acne treatements and it improved a great deal, which makes me think this book may be right. But then again most stars and models have perfect skin which shows have the money and access to the best does make a a difference.

I use the Shiseido White Lucent line- my mother has hyperpigmentation marks and that worries me- she never used sunscreen- but anyhow how can you pass up something that promises even glowing skin? I have used it for about a month so far and Love the results

There are so many choices :cry:

I've been using La Mer for the past couple of months...I mostly got it for prevention; I have combo skin and I don't have any acne problems.

My skin is clear to begin with but I think La Mer evened out my skin tone and made my skin softer. On the downside, I think it made my skin a little oily but not so much that it really bothers me.

The price tag is what makes me want to try another moisturizer.

Do Shiseido products work well for creating/maintaining a spotless, porcelain complexion?

for the most part, expensive skincare doesn't do much for the young skin (plus. i think as 20's and early 30 somethings, our diet and exercise habits are way more important than purchasing a $500 jar of night cream). however, i do indulge myself with a few products that works really well for me.

ReVive's renewel body cream - it goes on really light. feels great (retails about $235)

cle de peau's facial cream - not terriably expensive comparing to those 1200 bucks la mer's, but it works just as well (retails for $150)

SK-II's face lift emulsion (retails for $95)

natura bisse's diamond extreme cream - puts back just the right amound of h2o in your skin. plus. i'm a loyalist of this line (retails for $300)

sisley night cream - don't laugh. but i actually got hooked on it when my DAD started buying them. he bought me two jars and i am loving them. not sure of the retail, but i think it's around $400 to $500

VainJane said:
Do Shiseido products work well for creating/maintaining a spotless, porcelain complexion?

I like some of Shiseido's products a lot, and I know a few people who swear by their Future Solution cream...

Revive...definetely one Ill like to sample in the near future!!

I don't really care how much it would cost me, I just want my skin to be looking great always.

I recently purchased Nu Skin Clear Action set, and it's doing okay. I'm thinking of trying Murad , SK II, or Kose :smile: But really, my friend is truly raving about Kose. She claims it made her skin smooth overnight! :smile: Cool.

Wow, I can't believe some people shell out nearly a thousand dollars on a jar of skin cream that in all likelihood doesn't work. :unsure: It's common knowledge that non-prescription creams have little or no effect. A lot of these expensive creams just plump up the skin temporarily but don't repair it on a deeper, lasting level. I guess some people are afraid to do their research because they want to believe in some miracle cream that doesn't exist. Relying on anecdotal evidence from your friend/mom/sister is not the way to go.

I've done a little online research over the months and here's what I've learned about skin care:

1) Eat a diet rich in antioxidants: blueberries, olive oil, fish (but avoid farm-raised), nuts, green tea, purple vegetables, leafy greens, and mediterranean food. Avoid sugar and processed foods because they promote free radicals and increase aging.

2) Don't eat too much. There's research to suggest that people who eat a very low-calorie (but nutritious) diet live longer and age slower. All animals seem to react this way. Lab mice on this diet lived nearly twice as long as the controls and had glossier skin and hair.

3) Avoid the sun and wear good sunscreen with strong UVB and UVA protection (something with Mexoryl XL as an active ingredient). If you use a physical sunblock, apply at least twice as much as you think you should and reapply every 1-2 hours outside. Also, wear wraparound sunglasses and a hat if you can get away with it. Keep in mind that UVA rays penetrate through glass so you can get sundamage inside as well, and they don't vary much with the time of day like UVBs. I've noticed a lot of Japanese women have great skin, which may partly stem from their diligent avoidance of the sun.

4) Use a prescriptive tretinoid like Retin A or Renova -- the only cream that's effectiveness has been scientically documented. It also prevents acne. Renova is a good alternative to Retin A for people with sensitive skin. Retinol creams sold over the counter don't do much good. Some people like to use Obagi with Retin A to moisturize.

5) Supplement your daily sunscreen and tretinoid with a topical Vitamin C & E serum (both antioxidants). Sometimes it's preferrable to mix your own serum at home because store bought serums often contain harmful preservatives.

8) 'Duh' stuff like don't drink or smoke

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently OBSESSED with Amore Pacific...Every product that I have tried of theirs is awesome! I used to be a La Mer gril, but it has been replaced by AP. THeir enzyme peel is the most fabulous product I have ever tried!

I really like using la mer especially in the colder months. you don't even have to use it every day to get the benefits. i use it every time my skin needs a little pick-me-up. especially around the eyes. maybe use it for a week or two and then go back to my normal moisterizor. la mer is worth the money in my opnion.

what's AP, ojadeasul19? enzyme peel...sounds intersting.

LUCKY STAR2006 said:
i use natura bisse and it is really good .. my skin looks much better now !
i love natura bisse. i want to do a little rant about products and prices, etc but i'm tired and need to get my beauty sleep so i can get up and work out early in the morning. i'll rant later. will say though that i used to be exclusively a la prairie client and never thought i'd say this back when i was so committed to the line, but it is a lot of marketing and packaging, that's where their money goes...i still use their foam cleanser (probably wont repurchase as its $70 and i keep hearing foam cleansers are too stripping from my aesthetician) and their glycolic serum and i have received the skin caviar luxe as a gift. it was $350...i would never spend more than $200 now on a cream..and i think you can get away with using the same cream day and night..i am a huge product wh*re however and like using lots of different lines and products. i will come back to this thread...i quite enjoyed reading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, I'm using Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer. I couldn't be happier with it. In the past I've used La Mer, which I really like, and Bobbi Brown's vitamin moisturizer. The Jojoba oil I can purchase for $7 at Trader Joe's and it it equally, if not better, than the La Mer.

I agree with those who have said that for young skin, expensive skin care seems to be a waste and often causes more problems than it solves. My dermatologist told me to use cetaphil (drug store soap free cleanser) and nothing else for my oily acne prone skin. Nonetheless, I do experiment with different department store products and I have been quite happy with two: they are Jurlique's Herbal recovery gel and Shiseido pureness mattifying moistureiser. The herbal recovery gel is particularly light and lovely. Instantly absorbed, though a dry skin may need to use it in conjunction with a heavier product. For my budget they qualify as expensive products, although they are hardly in the league of $200+ creams that have been discussed!

cavvygirl said:
Right now, I'm using Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer. I couldn't be happier with it. In the past I've used La Mer, which I really like, and Bobbi Brown's vitamin moisturizer. The Jojoba oil I can purchase for $7 at Trader Joe's and it it equally, if not better, than the La Mer.

jojoba oil? hm. never heard that! how much do you use - are you using it for day and night?

Garden of Wisdom offers some fairy cheap products that are much more effective than most expensive creams as they actualy have scientific research to back them up. Plus they don't add all kinds of fragrance and preservative junk to their products. You can order their stuff online at www.gardenofwisdom.com :flower:

I've been using the la mer concentrate and eye cream mostly to preserve my skin since I'm young but I've actually seen a difference in my skin. I've tried lots of moisturizers from sephoa and they kept my skin from drying out but I didnt see an actual change in the texture. Although I wouldnt say it's 10x better if it's 10x more expensive, I do think it's somewhat better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->