Fahrenheit 9/11

Originally posted by softgrey+Jul 6th, 2004 - 11:14 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jul 6th, 2004 - 11:14 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by luna@Jul 6th, 2004 - 11:07 pm
Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 6th, 2004 - 9:03 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-luna
@Jul 6th, 2004 - 8:58 pm
There are movies out about how Michael Moore is anti-america...

So I dont know what to think about seeing this movie...

what movies?... :huh:

Not like a movie in the theater.. it's only stuff on the web.
what are the sources...?... :huh:

being anti-bush does not make one anti-american...
but you know that already... :flower: [/b][/quote]
I'll link you guys up later... my boyfriend has the links.. and I can't get a hold of him.

Originally posted by banana@Jul 7th, 2004 - 6:25 am
Yet he is interviewed on the news more often than respected acedemics in that field who could also have something intelligent to say.
that is simply untrue...we have many political programs with all the experts and academics...michael moore is not on any of those programs...i think he may get more media attention in canada than in the US (america bashing seems to be a popular passtime up there...ha!)...my friend in vancouver is always talking about him and she's seen the movie TWICE already...haha... :lol:

he's very underground and alternative here in the US...this is the MOST attention he's ever gotten...and it's only because the powers that be tried to stop the movie from being released...

that's the real irony...if those f*ckers hadn't tried to stop the movie from being released...how many people would have been so anxious to see the film...boy did that BACKFIRE>>>>
HAHAHAHA.........................................gotta love the irony..................... :lol:

:flower:
:innocent:

Originally posted by banana+Jul 7th, 2004 - 6:25 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (banana @ Jul 7th, 2004 - 6:25 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CaptainJackSparrow@Jul 7th, 2004 - 1:53 am

as for me, i couldn't really care less about the facts critics are claiming to be misrepresentated in film (i.e.whether or not congress has family in the military)...all of that is just filler IMO...the REAL issue is that innocent people (from all areas of the world) are being killed because of impulsive, dirty, unjust politics

finally, it bothers me that there are people who refuse to see the film claiming most of it to be false just because a so called "celebrity" made it... are celebrities incapable of speaking any truth? performing research? having a valid opinion?
Sure, but don't make arrogant speaches about the goverment telling lies if there are lies in your movie (talking about his oscar acceptance speach). I think you can agree that if Michael Moore's books and movies were presented for acedemic review he'd be ripped to shreds. Yet he is interviewed on the news more often than respected acedemics in that field who could also have something intelligent to say.[/b][/quote]
you seem to be speaking about Fahrenheit 9/11 as if the entire movie is a lie...it isn't...a lot of the issues have been covered by the news media and academics before, but, for some reason or another, attention was diverted to other more "important things" ( :unsure: ) ...anybody who has honestly been following these issues would know that

as for the oscar speech...what made it so arrogant? that he spoke his mind in front of the world? that he gave up his chance to take credit for his movie and instead challenged the validity of our governments actions? i didn't find it arrogant at all...it's his right as a human being to speak his mind...just as anyone who is pro Bush has a right to speak his or her's

and again, even if 98% of everything he says is a lie...it would be closeminded and stubborn of anyone to continue to deny the truth when it is stated...no matter who it comes from

Well guys i am trying to se both the Corp and F911 today. My buddy saw both movies and he loved em both.
He is even giving you $3 beers if you bring your stub from the Film Forum to his bar!!!!! Anybody want to know his Bar/Restauarant PM me.

I havent seen it yet. But I want to make a point here. Watching the news bulletin on TV or reading newspapers/magazines is not an alternative to not watching the 2 hr feature film. People living in many parts of the world, don't get the same news coverage that people do get in the middle east. Moore was trying to depict footage in his feature film that most people havent seen. Before anyone can conclude that CNN is a worthy source of news, compare it to other sources and then judge for yourself. Personaly I think BBC is a much more reliable
sourc e.

I look forward to seeing it.

I just saw this last night. I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to express my feelings about this movie. But I have no fancy words for "sad" or "angry". I cried in the theatre during the bombing of Bagdad. Also, when the US soldiers were torturing the Iraq prisoners, "Ali Baba" etc...Also when the mother read out the last letter of her son. I wish I could put my opinion into words but I am still wracked with emotion. I am sure that was Michael Moores intention and maybe the whole thing was too subjective to be a documentary but it's not like he wrote and directed and produced the footage. I wish I could be more objective and critical. It's all so f*cking sad and I am glad to be Canadian.

Originally posted by catchfatima@Jul 8th, 2004 - 3:09 pm
I just saw this last night. I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to express my feelings about this movie. But I have no fancy words for "sad" or "angry". I cried in the theatre during the bombing of Bagdad. Also, when the US soldiers were torturing the Iraq prisoners, "Ali Baba" etc...Also when the mother read out the last letter of her son. I wish I could put my opinion into words but I am still wracked with emotion. I am sure that was Michael Moores intention and maybe the whole thing was too subjective to be a documentary but it's not like he wrote and directed and produced the footage. I wish I could be more objective and critical.
You don't need to say anymore, I understand what you're saying and I feel the same. :flower:

i saw it last night...

the first half of the film was excellent. witty and truthful and ballsy. the second half focused too much on certain aspects of the american way of life that could have been much more easily said in a few sentence rather than in an hour and half of garble.

The rich get richer. The poor get poorer. The US government offers up piddly sums of money to kids to join the army to continue the cycle of the poor fighting for the way of life they might possibly have if they work hard enough. The war in IRAQ is wrong and we are stupid and brainwashed into thinking we belong there.

tada.

but all in all.... i think the film was genius. so fabulous. i actually clapped and howled in the course of the movie.

so did half the audience.

Originally posted by catchfatima@Jul 8th, 2004 - 2:09 pm
I just saw this last night. I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to express my feelings about this movie. But I have no fancy words for "sad" or "angry". I cried in the theatre during the bombing of Bagdad. Also, when the US soldiers were torturing the Iraq prisoners, "Ali Baba" etc...Also when the mother read out the last letter of her son. I wish I could put my opinion into words but I am still wracked with emotion. I am sure that was Michael Moores intention and maybe the whole thing was too subjective to be a documentary but it's not like he wrote and directed and produced the footage. I wish I could be more objective and critical. It's all so f*cking sad and I am glad to be Canadian.
i'm actually afraid to see this film...i haven't gone yet...partly because it;s always sold out....but mostly because i DO watch the media...and i'm already very emotional about what is going on in the world...i'm afraid this might just send me over the edge... :doh: :shock:

trying to figure out what i can do besides vote for change...i just want to do as much as i can to make the world a better place for everyone in it...*sigh...

i feel so helpless most of the time... :cry:

Guys, I haven't seen the movie, as it hasn't arrived here yet, but I can tell you this: Please don't trust (most of) the newspapers and broadcasting tv or radio stations! They are as manipulative as they can be! I know what I'm saying- I'm a journalist... :blush:

^ so true.

all media sources are biased and cannot be trusted. Honestly, there is freedom of press, but there is also something called personal initiative.

Originally posted by oceanharlot@Jul 9th, 2004 - 5:39 am
^ so true.

all media sources are biased and cannot be trusted. Honestly, there is freedom of press, but there is also something called personal initiative.
And money influence...

I am not fond of Bush, but I am not fond of Mr. Moore either. It seems to me that Moore is only using Bush for his own promotion. I still have to see Fahrenheit 9/11, but it comes to my country this September so I'll have to wait quite a bit.

Originally posted by banana@Jul 7 2004, 07:16 AM
I always knew that Bush was lying about the war but I also knew a LOT of people who thought that the war was necessary at the time.  Does it really take a movie to explain the obvious to people?  What does THAT say about American culture more than anything?  And what about the the millions of Americans living at the poverty level who can't even afford the $12 to see it at the their local megaplex theatre?  If this movie is so educational as everyone says then it is, shouldn't it be subsidized for the large percentage of the American poplulation that has no voice and suffers most from Bush's actions?
[snapback]307762[/snapback]​

It's not the people under the poverty line who really need to see this movie anyway so that is kind of irrelevant...they will probably vote for Kerry or not vote, regardless of watching Fahrenheit 9/11. Much of the stuff that Moore is trying to say, about the corruption in our government and the manipulating and exploitation of lower classes, is stuff that they probably already know.

The people that really need to see this movie are the masses of clueless, yet generally well-meaning people who lead very normal/shallow American lives, who believe what they see on Fox or CNN, who don't know or care anything about the Middle East or Islam, and who say horrific things like, "Hmm I don't really vote, hehe," or, "Politics just isn't my thing." The saddest part is, many of these ignorant folk are young people, just turned 18 and prime candidates for the two draft bills that are sitting in committee right now and may become a reality for us soon.

You underestimate the stupidity, ignorance and obliviousness of many people in this country.

Not to say that I hate my country...I think I'm just frustrated from living in Orange County, which is (correct if me I'm wrong) the most concentrated conservative area in California. Much pent up frustration.

:mohawk:

The director got some balls to show Bush that way..haha but you know so much crap is hidden from the public...only what the government wants you to know is whats on your TV...its filtered and often bullsh*t. Finally something for the ones who don't know to educate themselves. My friends never believed me on some of the things I said until this came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->