Fair Trade Clothing Brands & Human Rights ... the Ethical Consumer Movement

I really love this thread... hopefully it stays on the mainpage for a while so more people have the chance to read some of it.

Everyone's talking about donating/recycling clothing, but what about cutting down on your consumerism in general? Clothes, people definitely buy too much of. But the same goes for electronics like iPods... Apple brings out new versions of them 3 times a year or something, and herds of people throw out their perfectly good "last generation" ones. It's so wasteful, but it's how consumerism works.

And, you know, the economy will asplode if you don't buy everything you've ever wanted. You, apparently, are worth it.

I think this is such a beautiful idea:

http://rosaloves.com

One of the challenges for charitable organizations large and small is to get potential donors to feel the need for help in an immediate and personal way. By selling t-shirts imprinted with the stories of the specific individuals in need of assistance, Rosa Loves raises the necessary funds while also giving donors a tangible connection with the people they have helped.
Each Rosa Loves t-shirt is created to help a specific person, family or community, and 60 percent of its sales go directly to providing that assistance. The story of those in need is told on each t-shirt through not just a graphical design on the outside, but also a written description of that story on the shirt's inside, just over the wearer's heart. T-shirts are hand-numbered and created in limited runs; once the needed amount has been raised for a particular cause, Rosa Loves stops printing and selling the associated t-shirt. A series of t-shirts over the holidays, for example, was designed to provide holiday meals to 10 families in the St. Augustine, Florida, area, where Rosa Loves is based. In just two weeks, the shirts sold out and Rosa Loves had enough funds to supply the needed meals.
The site's founders explain: "It's usually thoughts like, 'those people over there,' that perpetuate a sense of complacency and lack of concern. Rosa Loves wants to shed light on the stories around us, to give them a real face, a real name." from www.springwise.com

Here is the most recent T-shirt for sale for this family:
Mr. Girendro Sharkar lived with a growing tumor on his throat. He fought this illness until he could no longer eat, drink or speak. Mr. Sharkar passed away leaving behind his wife and five young children in their thatch house with walls patched with newspaper and magazine pages. Full story here: http://rosaloves.com/stories/view/8

Attachments

• sharkar-01.jpg
    sharkar-01.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
The reason why I haven't responded to this is because I don't really know what's being conveyed here. Now that I've read a little more about this, I'm free to comment. I'm just an opinionated fellow out of Houston, Texas.

Let me just say this. Whether you like the clothing or not (I'm going by People Tree), this is an amazing concept. Something we kind of forget as followers of fashion is that while we honor and admire stylish and interesting clothing, we still should be reminded that no matter what our favorite trends and apparel types are, the clothes we wear still keep us warm and safe while looking good at the same time. Some developing nations don't really have unworldly budgets to clothe an entire nation. This Fair Trade package will help to help out disadvantaged producers.

I am a true supporter of viable causes for the greater good. Who cares if such firms don't offer lustful and alluring clothing for prices you'd find at a Neiman Marcus or a Saks Fifth Avenue? You don't really appreciate what this is about until you actually read more about what these makers are trying to accomplish as part of this initiative. I guess one could say that the absolute best way to look chic is to make a difference for others. Anything that can be done to look good while making a difference or supporting a cause is perfectly fine with me. I don't really think you can argue against this ethical consumer deal. Think of the nations that don't have exorbitant budgets or not enough resources to make the quality of life in other nations. As my classical quote goes: "make a statement without saying anything." It's a great idea.

I had breakfast here this morning.....such a wonderful project!!! My food was fantastic and the cafe is adorable.

Cafe Too
Cafe Too is a restaurant skills training program providing skills-building and employment opportunities in an atmosphere of dignity and respect to people facing barriers to self sufficiency.

The 13-week training program focuses on a variety of subjects, including: basic culinary skills and concepts, reading and converting recipes, following and taking direction, teamwork, sanitation and safety, restaurant service, and job-readiness soft skills.

Each participant qualifies for a food-service sanitation and safety license. In addition, students gain hands-on experience by working for nine weeks at the Cafe Too restaurant at 4715 N. Sheridan Rd. Students gain experience on lunch, brunch and dinner shifts and learn a broad range of skills. Once placed into employment, graduates are eligible for indefinite supportive services to ensure job retention and promote career advancement.

www.cafetoo.org

Woman Craft- the social enterprise of Deborah's Place (In Chicago-Deborah’s Place is

Attachments

• breast cancer cards.jpg
    breast cancer cards.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 58
  • little_square_notecard.jpg
    little_square_notecard.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 58
  • trifold.jpg
    trifold.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58
Not sure what happened to my text in the post above so here is what I said! :

Woman Craft- the social enterprise of Deborah's Place (In Chicago-Deborah’s Place is Chicago's largest provider of supportive housing exclusively for women.) provides a supportive, authentic workplace for women who have experienced homelessness. Handmade, Recycled, Fair Trade custom invitations, notecards, stationary, gifts and more.

Breast cancer awareness cards, little square notecards, and wedding invitation images from www.womancraft.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair Trade and Handcrafted Fashions

I have been looking all over TFS for a thread about fair trade/handcrafted products but could not find one. I don't think I am the only person on here that is interested about fair trade and handcrafted clothes, accessories, and jewelry. I have found it difficult in some ways to find a lot of brands which could be considered fair trade. I was hoping that everyone could tell me about their favorite fair trade labels; what the purpose of creating the brand was, why you love this label, and where I could find it.
The one few fair trade brands which I know of/shop at is People Tree. People Tree works with over 50 different fair trade groups in 15 different countries with the goal of benefiting people and the planet through as many of the production steps as possible. I love People Tree because they make beautiful clothes while at the same time maintaining a brand that is concerned with helping other people secure a better life for themselves. So tell me, why do you love fair trade fashion?

Hey, have a look at who Foundation Agency represents. They're a PR agency who only work with ethical brands. Their clients are mainly fashion brands but they do branch into other areas as well.

Thanks Elondra... I will go and have a look at the Foundation Agency, they sound pretty awesome!

I dug up one thread (a very old one) and merged it with this one. But, other than that, I couldn't find any threads about Fair Trade.

Hopefully we can get a dialog going about this important topic.

aha! I found the thread you were looking for ... The Ethical Consumer Movement and it's been merged here, too. Not so much about handcrafted items ... but about the idea of Fair Trade in general.

Thanks so much BetteT!!! I was looking for a thread like this but I couldn't find one but it looks like you were able too. :smile:
I would be interested in seeing what other brands are new since the last time this was posted (in 2008), also if you think that fair trade has changed since then?

I found this to be interesting so I did some googling and found that "fair trade" is not organic in nature but one of the goals is sustainability. It's more about helping people in developing countries to be able to sell some of thier produce in the world market. It refers to food products as much as anything. However, cotton and handicrafts are two items of note, that are related to the fashion industry.

From Wikipedia:
Fair trade is an organized social movement and market-based approach that aims to help producers in developing countries obtain better trading conditions and promote sustainability. The movement advocates the payment of a higher price to producers as well as social and environmental standards. It focuses in particular on exports from developing countries to developed countries, most notably handicrafts, coffee, cocoa, sugar, tea, bananas, honey, cotton, wine, fresh fruit, chocolate, flowers and gold.

Fairtrade certified sales in 2008 amounted to approximately US$4.08 billion (€2.9) worldwide, a 22% year-to-year increase. While this represents a tiny fraction of world trade in physical merchandise, some fair trade products account for 20-50% of all sales in their product categories. In June 2008, Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International estimated that over 7.5 million producers and their families were benefiting from fair trade funded infrastructure, technical assistance and community development projects.

The response to fair trade has been mixed. Fair trade's increasing popularity has drawn criticism from both ends of the political spectrum. The Adam Smith Institute sees "fair trade" as a type of subsidy or marketing ploy that impedes growth. Segments of the left, such as French author Christian Jacquiau, criticize fair trade for not adequately challenging the current trading system.

And here's some more information about the goals of the "Fair Trade Federation" ... to give you an idea about what they are working towards:

Source: fairtradefederation.org
  • Create Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers - Fair Trade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Members create social and economic opportunities through trading partnerships with marginalized producers. Members place the interests of producers and their communities as the primary concern of their enterprise.
  • Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships- Fair Trade involves relationships that are open, fair, consistent, and respectful. Members show consideration for both customers and producers by sharing information about the entire trading chain through honest and proactive communication. They create mechanisms to help customers and producers feel actively involved in the trading chain. If problems arise, members work cooperatively with fair trade partners and other organizations to implement solutions.
  • Build Capacity- Fair Trade is a means to develop producers' independence. Members maintain long-term relationships based on solidarity, trust, and mutual respect, so that producers can improve their skills and their access to markets. Members help producers to build capacity through proactive communication, financial and technical assistance, market information, and dialogue. They seek to share lessons learned, to spread best practices, and to strengthen the connections between communities, including among producer groups.
  • Promote Fair Trade- Fair Trade encourages an understanding by all participants of their role in world trade. Members actively raise awareness about Fair Trade and the possibility of greater justice in the global economic system. They encourage customers and producers to ask questions about conventional and alternative supply chains and to make informed choices. Members demonstrate that trade can be a positive force for improving living standards, health, education, the distribution of power, and the environment in the communities with which they work.
  • Pay Promptly and Fairly- Fair Trade empowers producers to set prices within the framework of the true costs of labor time, materials, sustainable growth, and related factors. Members take steps to ensure that producers have the capacity to manage this process. Members comply with or exceed international, national, local, and, where applicable, Fair Trade Minimum standards for their employees and producers. Members seek to ensure that income is distributed equitably at all times, particularly equal pay for equal work by women and men. Members ensure prompt payment to all of their partners. Producers are offered access to interest-free pre-harvest or pre-production advance payment.
  • Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions - Fair Trade means a safe and healthy working environment free of forced labor. Throughout the trading chain, Members cultivate workplaces that empower people to participate in the decisions that affect them. Members seek to eliminate discrimination based on race, caste, national origin, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, union membership, political affiliation, age, marital, or health status. Members support workplaces free from physical, sexual, psychological, or verbal harassment or abuse.
  • Ensure the Rights of Children - Fair Trade means that all children have the right to security, education, and play. Throughout the trading chain, Members respect and support the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, as well as local laws and social norms. Members disclose the involvement of children in production. Members do not support child trafficking and exploitative child labor.
  • Cultivate Environmental Stewardship - Fair Trade seeks to offer current generations the ability to meet their needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Members actively consider the implications of their decisions on the environment and promote the responsible stewardship of resources. Members reduce, reuse, reclaim, and recycle materials wherever possible. They encourage environmentally sustainable practices throughout the entire trading chain.
  • Respect Cultural Identity - Fair Trade celebrates the cultural diversity of communities, while seeking to create positive and equitable change. Members respect the development of products, practices, and organizational models based on indigenous traditions and techniques to sustain cultures and revitalize traditions. Members balance market needs with producers' cultural heritage.

New interview and video from People Tree about Emma Watson's visit to Bangladesh:

Safia Minney interviews Emma Watson as they visit the women at Swallows, one of People Tree's Fair Trade partners in Bangladesh.

SAFIA MINNEY What has been your experience of Bangladesh?

EMMA WATSON I wasn't sure what to expect when we arrived in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. I was expecting it to ber very busy, and hot, but the first thing that really struck me was the noise, and the traffic!

Our journey from the airpoort was unlike anything I have ever experienced: no one sticks to the lanes; everyone constantly beeps their horns and generally ignores traffic lights! Soon after arriving we visited the slums in Dhaka where the garment factory workers live.

Again, I had some preconceived ideas but nothing prepared me for the reality. It was upsetting to see the conditions in which these people live, but I was incredibly moved by their spirit and friendliness in spite of such apparent adversity.

SAFIA I guess one of the reasons why these workers in Bangladesh have been protesting for a living wage is because of their appalling living conditions in the slumns. Can you describe what facilities people have there?

EMMA Facilities? There are no facilities there to speak of. In the building we visited, I saw one shhower, one cleaning place and one hole in the floor which was the toilet. This was for the whole floor.

That floor had maybe eight or nine rooms coming off it, and each room housed a whole family, that is 32 people to one toilet.

SAFIA Their minimum wage is 1,62 taka - so that's about £6 per week. They're campaigning for around three times that much.

EMMA Even though the cost of living is much less in Bangladesh than the UK, £6 a week is appaling, especially considering the hours that they are working. They seem to work around the clock and still do not have enough money to buy food to feeed their family, or live any kind of life at all.
I really do hope that they achieve their goal of �18 a week. If they can, it would be life changing for them.

SAFIA You then went on to meet Amin Amirul, president of the national Garment Workers Federation which People Tree has been supporting for over 10 years.

EMMA It was an honour to meet Amin. Seeing his office and what he does with so little, I felt like it was him against the world. What he tries to achieve just seems so enormous.

He is so determined and he is not going to give up until the lives of the garment factory workers have been improved. He was a very compelling speaker.

SAFIA You also visited Swallows, the women's project in Thanapara, Bangladesh and one of our producers to see some of the work we are doing and to see the difference Fair Trade makes.

At Swallows we work to employ as many women as possible so that they can support their families and build a healthy community. What was it like seeing all those different processes of making clothes by hand?

EMMA I always find it difficult to impress on people what 'handmade' really means. To make a simple garment they have to produce the yarn, hand-dye the yarn, get it onto the loom, then weave the fabric, cut it to the pattern, sew it into the garment and then embroider it - all by hand.

It is so hard for people to imagine what it takes to create something and how special that item of clothing is.

SAFIA What would you say to people who are like 'we're in the 21st century so why make it by hand today - why not make it by machine?'

EMMA Having seen the slums in Dhaka and the conditions in which these people live and work to produce 'fast fashion', I would say to those people that this is not the way we should be making clothes in the modern world.
These workers have no rights and work every hour of the day just to feed their families. Fair Trade gives families the option to stay together, rather than one or both parents having to move to cities, and they are paid a fair wage. It empowers people and doesn't take away their dignity.

SAFIA Can you imagine yourself, born to a Bangladesh family and working in a garment factory?

EMMA I cannot imagine how I would have the mental ability and strength to go into the garment factories in the slums everyday and have my children living six hundred miles away.

We interviewed a woman in the slum in Dhaka. She was very candid about the fact that there just 6 wasn't any hope for her. There is no hope for anyone living in those conditions and being paid that kind of wage. Coming to Swallows I see that there is an alternative.

The living conditions are modest but it's clean and there is a real sense of community, their families are together and they seem to love and be proud of what they are doing - many things that we in the West take for granted.

Swallows is special and I need to believe for my own peace of mind that there will be more places like this in the developing countries in the world.

SAFIA People Tree does work with 50 other producer groups in Bangladesh, India, Kenya, and Peru that are making that difference. What kind of message do you want to bring to people your age now you have seen it?

EMMA I don't know how to impress upon people the importance of Fair Trade. It is so hard to get people to care and to realise what a huge difference Fair Trade can make to someone's life.

If, when buying an item, whatever it may be, people have the choice to buy Fair Trade or non Fair Trade, they should buy the Fair Trade item. It really does make all the difference - the contrast between Swallows and the slums in Dhaka is testimony to that.

SAFIA You've looked at different areas of Swallows' production, but as well as that you've seen the Swallows' day care centre for 60 children, from about 3 months to 5 years old. Then from 5 until 12 there is the school for 300 children. And it's not just for the children of the women who work here but also for children in the wider community.

EMMA It's fantastic what you've been able to do. Not only do these women have jobs, but they're earning the same amount as men - there is gender equality, they are empowered. They're able to support and look after themselves, and live in dignity.

Then there is the fact that you're running this day care centre, and also a domestic violence program for the women who are being abused at than giving to charity, I think, as you're essentially giving these people the opportunity to help themselves out of poverty and that's all they really want.

I've been given a lot in my life and I have had so many fantastic opportunities. It's really important to me that I try to give something back. I wanted to find the right thing and working with People Tree is so special and rewarding and the best way I can do that at the moment.
I really believe in Fair Trade and I just want to see more of it in the world. I need to know there are more places like Swallows.

snitchseeker.com

Also, New pictures of Emma modeling the new Fall People Tree line:

normal_EW_Shirt_and_mini_skirt.JPG
normal_EW_Pinafore_dress.JPG
normal_EW_tulip_dress.JPG

15571904.jpg

snitchseeker.com

^ Thanks so much for sharing the interview with Emma Watson and the pictures. I loved her in Harry Potter and once her line for People Tree came out it made me like her even more. In this interview its great to see how passionate Watson is about this issue, it makes me hope that more young adults like Watson (and myself) will be the generation to change these conditions from slums to places like Swallows.

i did not know that the people tree items are "handmade" i thought they were machine made by people paid a few times the prevailing wage.

thanks for the post. i learn something new every day here. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->