Fall Of The House Of Versace

I notice that when I visit those huge Versace flagship stores in New York and Los Angeles, on madison and rodeo, the salesfloors tend to get carried away with presenting the "commercial" or "runway" lines.

But when I go to the smaller boutiques in cities like Costa Mesa or Las Vegas, I find items that are very appealing and wearable.Some call this the 'pre-collection' and 'post-collection'. Which isn't necessarily always shown on the runway.

Sexuality is Versace's trademark, telling them to change that would be similar to telling Armani to give up his understated elegance signeture style. IT's not the clothes that makes Versace my favourite fashion house, it's Gianni's way of portraiting woman as sexy and powerful, man as strong and romantic that makes me adore him. I think the problem is that many fashion house starts to casualize their style to make it more marketable so young teenage girls would buy them, using Hollywood stars as symbols also speaking for the urge to break in ready-to-wear department. We need each fashion house to have its distinct style and therefore brings back a little individuality and creativity in fashion.

VErsace is obviously not how it used to be. It compromised its image too much. Gianni's clothes weren't so loved when he was alive either but ppl still wear it because it is a statement and his energy and defiance make you want to wear his clothes. VErsace is no longer the same, but I think it can be revived, we just need the right person!

Doctor Caroline said:
Versace is easily my favorite label. True Gianni was a lot better than DOnatella but she is still my favorite out of everyone else. She always succeeds to bedazzle me with those really attractive colors. I think Versace will come on top again really successfully which isnt surprsing really.
Imo, its only a matter of time before Versace comes back as one of the key brands in the marketplace for designer goods. Even though the sales are lacking, they are improving quite rapidly, and for Donatella to realize she needs to change, its only a step forward for the brand. As the seasons go, they are progressively moving away from the trash they produced only seasons ago.
By giving them time, they will go through their own little revolution because even though the sales of their collections are floundering, the visibility and branding of Versace is still around. Everybody still knows what Versace is, and that is something that will help them out.
Its hard to imagine a designer filled world, without Versace...

Eugenius..
In the past, they have had great men collections. Not nearly as reputable as their women's, but they have had some nice clothes, key pieces for men. I am into the 'South Beach' look and always loved the houses work, but as we all said it's just not the same.

I agree with you Andro. Depending on the city image and atmosphere, they have different collections for each store, of course. But it is strange because half the stuff you see, you never saw on the runway or in reviews, and they are very wearable clothes.

eugenius said:
A nice mens line in years? I never knew they had a nice mens line to begin with :ninja:

Ugh. I agree with you.

That Rico Suave, Miami Beach, linen trousers with the god awful print shirts opened up and all that gold hardware. It's just so tired, so overplayed. SO NOT ATTRACTIVE!

I noticed after Gianni's death, and when Dontella really took over that what she put out was really safe. Understandalbe so, but that those safe pieces were not bad.

I can see it gaining popularity again for sure though. Just not for me.:lol:

I mean look at this (Spring/Summer 2006 from men.style.com)
00050m.jpg

Now maybe the women's line is improving...........but I don't see much happening in the men's:sick:

Ianastar said:
That Rico Suave, Miami Beach, linen trousers with the god awful print shirts opened up and all that gold hardware. It's just so tired, so overplayed. SO NOT ATTRACTIVE!

I can see it gaining popularity again for sure though. Just not for me.:lol:

I mean look at this (Spring/Summer 2006 from men.style.com)

What are you talking about?!? If I were a Gay Male latino Hustler, looking for a sugar Daddy, i would be all over that look!:lol: :lol: :lol:

stilettogirl84 said:
What are you talking about?!? If I were a Gay Male latino Hustler, looking for a sugar Daddy, i would be all over that look!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know.....it's so Miami Playboy.:lol:

I understand, everyone has their own style. In a sense of design though, men's has evolved a bit. A gay, male latino hustler needing a sugar daddy is an all so common site in Miami. Nice Stilettogirl. Haha.

Good Article.

Then what is the vibe for the Houston Versace store because I never see anyone buy from there?

So they are going to bring back Versus I was always a big fan of that line. Is true they still sell Versace Jeans Couture in Europe????
I've always wanted to go to Dubai an now with the versace resort there I must go now!! I hope they can make a huge comeback because I will be all about Versace if they can bring it back correctly but they need to dump Dontella I do love her she can be the iconic head(image only) but someone else has to take over the designs!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just like men that look like... Men. Simple, rugged, durable, that is the classic look.

I feel bad when I hear about Allegra Versace and Donatella. The drugs, the anorexia, it just does not look like they are leading happy lives.

i thought that the mens ss06 show was amazing, i know it was a little over the top but thats what versace is aboutlol. ever since then, to me , it seems donatella has been on a roll. I love what she is doing to Versace....i think its on its way back to being a fashion powerhouse ( for women) men is still a work in progress lol

So is the House STILL falling? LOL! I quite like the direction in which Donatella is taking Versace, for the woman that is!

Last edited by a moderator:
People keep talking about how Donatella MUST be replaced. Who else is there? No one. Donatella has that original Versace blood which keeps Versace the way it is.

I don't believe the house is falling anymore, but instead growing. If I remember, they were in the black and were close to returning a good profit so that makes me happy. I hope Donatella soon taps into the creativity of Gianni and makes it her own. However, she is moving in the excellent direction and no matter what, I love her. ^_^

^ they must be growing since they are starting to reopen stores here in spain... after they had closed all of them (barcelona, madrid & marbella) the latter is again working!!
last 2 years have been fab on the runways, and i'm sure people on the streets noticed

I think this thread shud be renamed "House of Versace, back from the dead" lol

Squizree said:
People keep talking about how Donatella MUST be replaced. Who else is there? No one. Donatella has that original Versace blood which keeps Versace the way it is.

But wasn't there a rumor going around recently about Versace and Christopher Kane? I don't think Donatella is indispensible to the company whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->