Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

Croquis-types of templates

I was wondering what types of templates work best for designing clothing? Do most designers use a finished croquis? IE: makeup, hair, skin tone? Or is it easier to draw clothing on one that is basic and black and white, mainly for the silhouette?

I would also like to ask if Prismacolor is the best marker to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought the same thing about the Croquis book. I don't have the time to be dawing one lol. I would rather have a book of croquis from my books and increase my skill from there. Well as far as just fashion design and not fashion illustration. Fashion Illustration is so cool though.

I just finished my first fashion illustration. Not sure if I like it, but I did finish it. I used it on my front page as an example. I am starting to think each type has it's benefits. The sketched/color ones help with rendering in marker, shading and what not. The black and white ones are good for tracing or layering fashion on top of them. And the fully rendered ones are good when you want to add everything but the figure. IE: handbags, shoes, clothes, hats, etc. Just my .02$ worth. I am new to all of this.

I started my first fashion ilustrations when I was about 15 or 16 and I still do it now (Im 20) and all I can say is that it took me LAODS of practice. Its very irritating when you have a fantastic fashion idea but you're not good enough to put it on paper.
It took me YEARS to perfect a model's catwalk and it still doesnt look right. Practice is really important. I look back at my old drawings and I turn tomato red cuz theyre so bad lol

From what I've heard, and actually from a designer himself, is that they still use croquis' and examples in the industry for a reference. Most designers don't really need a finished croquis to copy from because they can just sketch freehand and make-up, hair and all that is sometimes done, depending on the designers style. Usually an illustrator will be more lavish and colorful in their drawings since that is what will sell the garment, and designers just usually sketch to show the garment and the garment details, drapes etc.

I was wondering what types of templates work best for designing clothing? Do most designers use a finished croquis? IE: makeup, hair, skin tone? Or is it easier to draw clothing on one that is basic and black and white, mainly for the silhouette?

I would also like to ask if Prismacolor is the best marker to use.

I am also trying to very my skin tone any marker sugestions because I can not find a paler skin tone that is not pink and it is hard to get darker tones that are not reddish as well in markers. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Copic Markers I love them they are actualy anime markers but I think they work great for fashion.

Buy them on amazon they are cheaper on there about 250 for 72 which is a lot cheaper than 6$ a piece at art supply stores

Ooh im dying to get my hands on a Copic Markers set but theyre expensive indeed. I have Chartpak markers and work fine for me actually, theres a wide variety of colors.

I think Chartpak smell so bad Copics actually have a nice smell in my opinion. Also for any of you illustrators out there dont use Copics with normal marker paper use Aqua Bee Manga or Bristol paper it is worth it and they dont bleep as much.

Chartpak is good because it's more wet and they last longer. Prismacolors tend to be dry. I was recommended Chartpak by a professional fashion illustrator...

Chartpak bleeds all over, i tend to use them for background. for detailing, I use Prismacolor.

Buy them on amazon they are cheaper on there about 250 for 72 which is a lot cheaper than 6$ a piece at art supply stores

Wow, i didn't know that, thank you very much! i want them for Christmas! Oh, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->