Fashion September 2023 : Kirsten, Irina, Jessica, Winnie & Coco by Greg Swales

ed and text on the site: FASHION's September Cover Stars: 5 Iconic Canadian Supermodels
they speak about experience of working with Meisel there

ON STEVEN MEISEL AND LEARNING HOW TO MODEL

STAM “I didn’t know anything about modelling. Before my first fashion week, somebody taught me how to walk in heels because I had never walked in heels before. But as far as modelling, posing and all that goes, I sort of learned as I went. And I learned from photographers like Steven Meisel. I met him when I was 16 or 17 and still living in Canada. He shot me for a Versus Versace eyewear campaign the day I met him. He put me on an exclusive with him for seven or eight months. It was like going to school—the Steven Meisel School. He taught me how to position my face toward the light, find my pose and relax into it and then have fun and play. Last year, we shot a Zara campaign. Now when he shoots, he has a mirror on-set so you can perform a bit more and see how you look.”

ROCHA “I used to be an Irish dancer; this kind of dancing is rigid up top with the bottom moving fast, so nothing about it is practical for modelling. I went to Taipei to do catalogue work; it was hours upon hours of shooting every day, and it’s where I learned the basics of quick posing. These catalogue models move very quickly, and I truthfully thought that’s how you model. A few years later, I worked with Steven Meisel, who loved this quirky, weird thing I was doing. He was like, ‘That’s so weird and strange—keep doing it.’ So I was allowed from day one to perform the way I wanted because he gave me that approval, which, in turn, led to the industry saying ‘Well, if he says it’s OK, I guesse should let her do it the way she wants to do it.’”

Irina Lăzăreanu“One of my first jobs with Steven Meisel was for Vogue Italia. It was a very long editorial—70 pages—so we shot for almost three weeks. Camilla Nickerson was styling, and Pat McGrath and Guido [Palau] were on makeup and hair. I had to be different characters; one was a marionette, and I had to do these crazy jumps for about an hour straight. Steven would say ‘Do it again, but your hand should be here, your pinky should be there.’ And we did it again and again and again. I really believe that Steven is the absolute best teacher. He trains you how to move, how to understand images and lighting and how clothes move on you.”
fashionmagazine.com

Jessica looks 60 with that awful hairstyle. Kirsten looks like she is about to die. Irina aged terribly. I am surprised she is not in her 50.

those bangs are horrendous. you have an unusual and quite good cast and this is it? dear Lord.

For one of the only Canadian fashion magazines remaining… this is ok. I didn’t realize Kristen Owen was Canadian though.

Is Winnie the only successful model of colour from Canada?

Ok, it's gonna get a bit crowded if they had Tasha there as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->