Fashionable Katrina refugees?

ultramarine

chaos reigns
Reaction score
From the NY Daily news:

Lavish tastes of card-carrying lowlifes

Profiteering ghouls have been using debit cards distributed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - intended to buy essentials for evacuated families - in luxury-goods stores as far away as Atlanta.

"We've seen three of the cards," said a senior employee of the Louis Vuitton store at the Lenox Square Mall in affluent Buckhead, who asked not to be named. "Two I'm certain have purchased; one actually asked if she could use it in the store. This has been since Saturday."

The distinctive white cards were distributed by the Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and carry a value of up to $2,000.

"It doesn't say anything on the card other than alcohol, tobacco and firearms cannot be purchased with it," the store employee told me. "There's nothing legally that prevents us from taking it, unfortunately. Other than morally, it's wrong."

The source told me that the two women who had made purchases with the card each bought a signature monogrammed Louis Vuitton handbag in the $800 range.

"They didn't look destitute by any stretch. You would never have said, 'They must be one of the evacuees.' … The one that I dealt with yesterday was 20. She'll be 21 next month." The source described the reaction of other store-keepers in the mall - which includes luxury brands Ferragamo, Burberry, Judith Leiber and Neiman Marcus - as "outrage." "It doesn't say anywhere on there, but it would have to be a good amount to be shopping in here," the source said with a dark chuckle

If you're going to use government money to buy designer handbags at least use it on something that is still in style. Then again some people just have no taste.

:sick: thats horrible...

well I guess its good to remember that.. these are probably really rare instances (hopefully!...)... and that most of the people who get the cards are really in need..

but still.. thats just.. low low loww

CharlottefromCA said:
but still.. thats just.. low low loww
:shock: agreed, how horrid, wasting money that is really in need by individuals without adequate food and provisions for their families :cry:. What a heartless thing to do. And to buy "monogrammed Louis Vuitton", :yuk: they are greedy, selfish, cruel and without taste :doh:

Wow, just when I thought it wasn't possible for mankind to stoop to a new low...Am totally digusted at these individuals. :judge:

These stores should just instigate a new policy of not accepting these Red Cross cards.

As for the ppl using them to buy lux goods.......well, I can't even articulate how WRONG that is on SO many levels!

Ugh. I'm tired of people from our country making us look bad. Greedy and selfish in a time of horror for many down South.

I thought they nixed the plan on giving these out? Nonetheless, obviously some were distributed, these debit cards. There's definitely a mixed reaction toward them. I don't think it's the best idea, simply because of this. I think it would have been smart to place heavier restrictions on the purchasing power of these debit cards. Or made them solely spendable at Wal Mart, for example, just to avoid something like this. Then, course, you would still have the people that would use them to purchase alcohol, or video games, or items of the sort... but I'd like to think if they were solely for one place, Wal Mart/Target/large retail chain, that would have been the best and smartest bet.

i'm disgusted....how terrible... and to think the tax dollars will probably be paying for that!

^ Agreed. Americans will start feeling the pinch from Katrina financially soon, debit cards aside anyway. :(

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here:
I don't know anything about these cards - and I'm sure they were not meant to be used on luxury items - but perhaps, think about it this way:
These people have been left with nothing - and if a Louis Vuitton monogram is going to make someone feel better than say - Cheerios, then let them buy their handbag.

fezbatik said:
I don't know anything about these cards - and I'm sure they were not meant to be used on luxury items - but perhaps, think about it this way:
These people have been left with nothing - and if a Louis Vuitton monogram is going to make someone feel better than say - Cheerios, then let them buy their handbag.

Designer anything will make a lot of people happy, regardless of their situation. I wouldn't want any of my taxdollars or donations to go to someone's LV bag.

fezbatik said:
Umm... are you saying it's completely okay for these people to spend money that people have donated to the Red Cross so they could help victims of Katrina on something like this? I think this is disgusting, but I also think that there should've been, as Erin said, heavier restrictions.

america doesn't have a very good role model, so i'm not surprised that they have stooped to this level.

this shocks and disgusts me how could anyone spend money that has been given kindely to help them on a designer bag! you cant live in a bag!:angry:

CelineChic said:
If you're going to use government money to buy designer handbags at least use it on something that is still in style. Then again some people just have no taste.
:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->