Favorite Fashion / Designer Quotes

ShelleyBaby

Reaction score
I'm not sure who it was, but I read the sig on from someones profile on here which quoted Tom Ford's 'Beauty is a powerful thing. It can add enormously to the quality of life.'

Anyone care to share........?

i'll get back to you with mine.

x

personally i love "elegance is refusal" although i can't nail down who actually said it first. i've heard it attributed to both coco chanel and diana vreeland. what it means to me, within the contexts of fashion, is that that sense of elegance is achieved from an outright clinging to one's refusals. a woman who refuses to wear a plunging neckline, for example, wears what she wears with such a personal and palpable elegance.

i shall chant my mantra for all to hear...
in the immortal words of the great designer christian dior...

"it is not money that makes you well-dressed, it is understanding"

:flower:

Chanel said something like "Luxe should be treated as garbage, and garbage should be treated as luxe".

It really is true, I think.

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel

Originally posted by pinkcouture@Apr 28th, 2004 - 2:35 am
"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." - Coco Chanel
that's a brilliant quote :flower:

"A fashionable woman is always in love- with herself."
-La Rochefoucauld

"About half my designs are controlled fantasy, 15 percent are total madness and the rest are bread-and-butter designs."
-Manolo Blahnik

"My weakness ... is architecture. I think of my work as ephemeral architecture, dedicated to the beauty of the female body."
-Christian Dior

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity; and fashion will drive them to acquire any custom."
-William Shakespeare

"Artistic creativity is a whirlpool of imagination that swirls in the depths of the mind."
-Robert Toth

(I posted all but the first one on this site...
http://build.tripod.lycos.com/trellix/site...edit_page.html)

This is one that I truly believe in

"Fashion can be bought but style one must possess."- Coco Chanel

Its true, you can be in expensive clothes and still look like trash if you don't have style B)

Only men who are not interested in women are interested in women's clothes. Men who like women never notice what they wear. - Anatole France :lol: True in so many cases..

A man has his clothes made to fit him; a woman makes herself fit her clothes. - Edgar Watson Howe :lol: How many times have you women done that! I am a guilty of it :ninja:

The expression a woman wears on her face is more important than the clothes she wears on her back. - Dale Carnegie B)

Never in the history of fashion has so little material been raised so high to reveal so much that needs to be covered so badly. - Sir Cecil Beaton on mini-skirts

Be not the first by whom the new are tried,
Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope

Fashion. A despot whom the wise ridicule and obey. - Ambrose Bierce

It is fancy rather than taste which produces so many new fashions. - Voltaire :wacko:

Dress simply. If you wear a dinner jacket, don't wear anything else on it ... like lunch or dinner. - George Burns :lol: Simple enough.

Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury. -Coco Chanel

Zest is the secret of all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without zest.- Christian Dior

What is this goofy walk that all the models do? You know that walk? Down the runway, like they really have to go somewhere. You know they're all wiggly, all full of importance and attitude. And then they get to the end and they look around and go, "Well, I guess I'll just go back." -from the show Seinfeld.

Dior had some great lines back in the day.

I remember there was one from him about the success of a dress design can best be judged by how much it makes a man want to take the dress off its wearer.

"Some say that there are more important things then fashion........yeah, right."

It's from French Connection.

Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite@Apr 29th, 2004 - 6:47 pm
Only men who are not interested in women are interested in women's clothes. Men who like women never notice what they wear. - Anatole France :lol: True in so many cases..
Oh do I know how true that is :innocent:

"It is not money that makes you well-dressed, it is understanding."

These are great quotes. :flower:

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, but, I like "For something to be beautiful it doesn't have to be pretty." - Rei Kawakubo

Originally posted by ignitioned32@May 1st, 2004 - 12:44 am
"It is not money that makes you well-dressed, it is understanding."

These are great quotes. :flower:

I'm not sure if I have a favorite, but, I like "For something to be beautiful it doesn't have to be pretty." - Rei Kawakubo
omg...igni...i :heart: that :blush: :heart:

My new signature, it's so painfully true. Mlle. Chanel definitly new what she was talking about....

so true, i :heart: this quote

it is my new msn screen name lol

I can't remember the words, something about the emperor and his new clothes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->