Prada’s designer cuts and runs into fashion test case (FT)

nqth

arndom
Reaction score
from the Financial Times
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/6f87c86e-67f3-11d9-a11e-00000e2511c8.html

Prada’s designer cuts and runs into fashion test case
By Vanessa Friedman
Published: January 16 2005 19:36 | Last updated: January 16 2005 19:36

Jil Sander's men's wear show held on Sunday in Milan, a procession of the house's signature blend of luxury and minimalism, was notable as much for what did not happen as what did. For the first time since Ms Sander started her house in 1973, a designer did not appear for the traditional post-show bow.

Ms Sander resigned for the second time in November “for personal reasons”, having left in 2000 over creative and strategic differences before returning in 2003. With her departure, Prada Group, which has owned Jil Sander since 1999, decided not to replace her with a single designer but to use her creative team to carry on her vision and name.

As a result, the Jil Sander company has become a test case for the industry, which is reassessing a tenet of the business since the mid-1990s: that to be a star brand you need a star designer.

The issue was raised by Tom Ford's departure last year from Gucci and his subsequent replacement by a trio of unknown, but named and heavily promoted, in-house designers. But the Jil Sander case is more significant for three reasons. First, after Ms Sander's earlier departure, Prada replaced her with a single designer, Milan Vukmirovic, with disastrous results. Second, unlike Mr Ford, she bears her company's name, and thus much of its identity, as demonstrated by its resurgence on her return: 2004 sales are said to be up 15 per cent to over €140m ($183m). Third, by replacing her with an anonymous team Prada is suggesting not only that brand does not need a star designer but that it does not need a single designer at all.

“Design teams can be extremely effective solutions sometimes,” says Michael Bororian, the managing partner of Sterling International, a Paris-based executive search firm. “It's really a question of the lifecycle of a brand; whether it has yet made the leap from signature to brand.”

Jacques-Franck Dossin, European luxury goods analyst for Goldman Sachs, said global brands such as Louis Vuitton, Hermès or Chanel, could survive without a figurehead because people bought the brand rather than the designer. “But smaller labels are more dependent on a person. It's hard to build a brand universe, and the corresponding customer loyalty, without one,” he said. Gian Giacomo Ferraris, chief executive of Jil Sander, said the company was focused on maintaining continuity in the brand.

“I spoke to a lot of customers the day after the announcement was made, and they all said they were very sad, but the main thing they said was, ‘Please don't change the image of Jil Sander' and we don't intend to. We won't start a second line, or do licences, or lower our prices; and all the people Jil put in place before she left are still here.”

Still, as Mr Bororian says, “her team doesn't have her eye that yes or no instinct” and there will be differences in operation. In May, a cruise collection will be launched for the first time, and there will be increased attention to accessories, which currently make up only 15 per cent of the brand's sales but which Mr Ferraris hopes to increase to 30 per cent in the next two years. Though there have been rumours that Prada, which at the end of 2003 had net debts of €675m, may consider selling the brand if it becomes profitable, Mr Ferraris denies this.

And, while most observers feel financial success is possible for Jil Sander, there remains a question whether a designer-less brand can be commercially successful and creatively cool.

Traditionally, this tightrope has been impossible to walk. Brands such as Moschino and Hugo Boss have lost their figureheads, usually because they died rather than resigned, and gone on to great financial success, but have never managed to retain their media profile or consumer ties. On the other hand, Martin Margiela, the Belgian designer whose wholesale business increased by 24 per cent in 2004, never appears at the end of a show and refuses to give interviews or be photographed. His very refusal to play the game has created an identity for himself and his brand. Mr Ferraris says he can have his “egg and chicken too”. Whether he succeeds will be an industry test case.

very good article...some interesting points about an anonymous design team or a figurehead 'star' designer...

this will be very interesting to watch indeed...

thanks for the article ngth...

Interesting legally! My suspicion is that the court will decide that the brand is an asset owned by the company therefore the company can do what it likes with the brand. I wonder where the case is being heard?

thanks nqth

You are welcome, Softgrey and Helena:-)

Yes, it is v. interesting to see how the brand "survives". I remember that the stock market didn't "react" to Jil's resign. I think Prada did make conclusions from Jil's first departure from the comp. in 2000.

helena said:
Interesting legally! My suspicion is that the court will decide that the brand is an asset owned by the company therefore the company can do what it likes with the brand.
i don't think that is in question...is it?...prada owns the company and the brand...don't they?... :unsure:
i thought jil sold it several years ago...before the first resignation...
so of course they can decide how they wish to proceed...right?...

yes thats what I mean if Prada (the company) owns the brand then it can do what it wants with that asset especially if it (Prada) paid Jil Sander hansomely for it (which I am sure it did). Sander can't sell her name (the brand) & take the cash & then say she wants her brand back.....can she? Surely that wouldn't be fair.
I think it would be interesting to see basis of Sanders case. I suspect there must be more to it.

Maybe the question is whether there can be a brand as such without 'a person 'behind that brand - esp. if it bears a persons name. I think it can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think Jil is "fighting" her brand back, Helena?

I don't know nqth - ones name is an emotive thing & whilst she sold it for a lot of money I suspect she is now angry that she has lost it & lost control of her name. She is probably a difficult person & sometimes these things can become all consuming - especially if there have been bitter battles with Prada Group. Its hard for some people to let go of something they built up from scratch. But then.... she shoudn't have sold out & taken the cash....

You can't have your cake & eat it.

OK, ic :-)

I think Prada owns the company and they can do what ever thay want to make it profitable. It is only pitty that Jil is not there anymore:-) But I think Prada knows now that JS is a "sensitive" brand and need a delicate pair of hands to deal with:-)

This Men collection is good imo. I still need to see whole collection then. And to see how diff. it is from the Prada and Miumiu ones:-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to sound insensitive to her plight at all.... I can imagine how frustrating it must be for her. She probably made a big mistake selling in the first place. We can say this only with hindsight.

For what its worth I think her S/S 05 womenswear is beautiful.

Yes. And she sold to the most aggressive comp. :-) Maybe she might think that she needed a good bussiness partner so she could concentrate on design. But then she IS a v. good manager, too.

thx for the article. I think this is very interesting. Maybe this will be a herald a new age of brand, not star designer...and maybe put an end to all the celebrity lines.....

helena...i don't think there is a legal 'case' pending...i believe the term is being used as in a laboratory setting......:wink: ...test 'case'...

jil is not sueing prada...she just quit...that's all...:D
and now it will be interesting to see if the brand will be profitable without a 'name' designer...that's the 'test' ...

great article... I don't like the idea of designing 'teams'. It reminds me too much of Walmart and related companies, and how they invent a name to seem personable to the consumer but really, everything is designed by dozens of different people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->