Flaws in designer bags

Foxie-Pooh

Reaction score
I have seen so many imperfections in expensive bags. Do you think it's acceptable to charge $1000+ for a bag that has slight flaws or imperfections? Why has the factory allowed these "seconds" to be release to the general public? Has SAs ever told you that it was variations between the leather and such to try to make a sale? Should warranty come with the bag? Discuss...

Companies don't want to lose money by throwing away too many "bad bags"... I assume they have a certain amount of bags that they allow to have flaws(which they do not sell)... but the ones that are borderline acceptable, they ship to the stores.

I assume that they let the flawed merchandise out in hopes that someone will get it and love it so much, they won't care about flaws.

and I dont think it's acceptable... not in the least.

I've bought bags and found imperfections but the shops have always been good about exchanging it for a more perfect one. Also, some places give you a guarantee on the bag, for example when I buy from Dior my SA always reminds me that if anything goes wrong with the bag within 6 months they will repair it free of charge.

I don't think its acceptable for there to be blatant imperfections, but I think if you're picky enough you can find something wrong with anything. I always just look for the most perfect one out of what they have there or what they can order (if there isn't an acceptable one there.

flaws from being handled don't bother me nearly as much as actual defects, which are totally unacceptable. at least I have the ability to make an informed decision whether to buy a bag with a scratch. not so if the bag has a defect that doesn't reveal itself until worn (rendering the bag unreturnable). the example that comes immediately to mind is the spy. since its appearance people have had problems with the snap closure, with the handles, with the dangly piece and with bleeding.

Which label or style do you think produce the most flawed bags. I've heard many Gucci bags that are problematic and I've seen many LVs that have frayed edges and wrinkly surfaces. I think Hermes, Chanel, and Bottega are less prone to flaws...

the only one I've had a problem with is the fendi spy. I've owned a few guccis and numerous lvs and never had a problem with any of them.

also, you need to distinguish between actual flaws caused by the manufacturing process and flaws (like scratches) caused by handling in the store or returns. I looked at a $4000 bv today with a big scratch on it probably caused by an errant fingernail. it hardly attests to the quality of the bag (but does say something about its durability), but I think the problem most people complain about is insensitive SAs who sell you a bag with a scratch without telling you then refuse to take it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is generally the policy of department stores regarding broken bags? sadly the metal bolt holding the strap on the lanvin i bought two weeks ago popped open and broke, and I wondered what one can expect of a store like barneys in terms of repair or return. I don't want to get into a situation where you pay hundreds of dollars just for them to send it off for weeks at a time to get repaired...

Have you tried taking it to the store and asking for an exchange??

thanks luna, i'm trying that today, but i bought it on sale so there isn't another one-- sad because i don't really want to ask for a refund but i don't think they'll be able to fix it easily and i'm certainly not having them send it out for 5 weeks! ugh, why can't designer goods be build to last !!!!

At Holt Renfrew I had found a bag that was beeauutiful, and then I noticed pretty bad cracking in the leather in several areas. I asked if it would be a possiblity to give some kind of discount (maybe 10% or so) but they just claimed it was "wear and tear" and would happen eventually anyways.

thanks luna, i'm trying that today, but i bought it on sale so there isn't another one-- sad because i don't really want to ask for a refund but i don't think they'll be able to fix it easily and i'm certainly not having them send it out for 5 weeks! ugh, why can't designer goods be build to last !!!!

What broke?
Did the hardware piece actually break? or did a bolt just fall out.

First I'd take it back and see if they can locate a replacement for you.. have them do a stock search... if they can't locate one, I'd see if the repairs are minimal.. and have it fixed... this is if I LOVE the bag..

Good Luck, emma!

I have seen too many designer bags with flaws recently, and it really doesn't justify the price you have to pay...and honestly alot of bags look cheap or badly made immediately no matter how big the brand is. so now i would try to buy anything at all from those problematic brands.
I believe Loewe, Hermes are much better quality, Louis Vuitton is good alot of times.

im always surprised at this, as i often hear about flaws and problems. the one thing i absolutely LOVE about MJ bags are they are amazingly durable, well made, and if anything happenes to happen, the MJ company will repair any of their bags that have been released in the past 1 1/2 years for free.

i think LV's are pretty well made, but i dont think the repairs they do should cost so much $$ considering the bags are so exspensive already....

i ended up getting a refund on the lanvin, i figured if it was originally a $1100+ dollar bag that I got on sale for $700, and the pin on the hardware on the messenger loosened right away, it just isn't worth the hassle. i don't want to be walking down the street again and have to worry that it's going to bust open like it did before-- having me hunting madly on the sidewalk for a tiny bolt...

regarding marc jacobs, i bought a first season bag like 8 years ago, and the leather wore away where it rubs against your body/coat/jeans almost immediately, exposing the plastic underneath the leather piping. I asked the mj store where i bought it about it, and they were not super helpful. I was in a hurry and should have been more proactive. I haven't worn that bag since, but it was a huge waste of $1100 as it was the poorest construction i've ever seen in a luxury bag. :(

what are the worst luxury handbag brands in your opinion, let's get a list going to help others!

my absolute worst:
gucci
first season marc jacobs
bcbg (those odd screws)
prada (but their shoes are absolutely the poorest)
bottega veneta (but it was a microfiber messenger with a leather strap, not the woven ones)

good brands/no bad experiences:
balenciaga
ysl (though i did see one of the mombassa variations in the boutique once with missing hardware)
miu miu
rafe

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldnt find it acceptable to fork over 6000+ for a Birkin and then having it flawed. bags below 500 bucks, okay, but when it's pushing the 1000 already and above, i do believe that i'm entitled to a flawless bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
italop2
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->