Reusable Shopping Bags

Luxx

oh me, oh my
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about reusable shopping bags lately. The debut of the I'm Not A Plastic Bag has caused a lot of interest but the limited availability and general hoopla has taken some attention away from the original purpose of the bag.

As such. This is a thread to discuss reusable shopping bags, the sort good for groceries, the beach and anything else one might normally use a plastic bag to hold. I'm sure we can find loads of fashionable and attractive alternatives to the I'm Not A Plastic bag. ^_^

Here are some I've seen recently:

1. Hayden Harnett Friends of Al tote.
2. Esty SuperBirds Tote
3. Get Hip Get Green Love This Earth Bag

Image Credit | Hayden Harnett, Get Hip Get Green, Esty

Teen Vogue Article on Eco-Bags

Image Credit | Baggu.com

good idea for a thread. I really don't think reusable shopping bags are anything that one should spend more than 50 bucks on personally (and thats pushing it), seeing as they will be used to carry things that could damage it

its also interesting that they are becoming a fashion trend and not being used for their intended purpose

Baggu
I have been looking around their site and I am really starting to like these. They seem really practical - i like that you can fold them up and keep them in your pocket or wallet just in case. Perfect someone forgetful like me :blush:

Image Credit | Baggu

I would agree masquerade, $50 is a bit much for something that will invariably be kind of tossed around and/or damaged. I did like the design of that Friends of Al tote though.

I also feel like some of the bags I've seen aren't really big enough for groceries. Groceries would be the primary area where I think plastic bags are utilized (at least thats what I find in my life) so I wonder at just how useful some of the smaller bags are in that respect.

I don't wanna tote around a gallon of milk in something that just isn't going to be able to support that.

Nice thread...thank you Luxx:flower:

I go to the Farmer's Market almost every morning during the week & also on Sunday. I purchased this tote on etsy for $12.00 & I use it daily. It's also great for hauling home magazines from the shops:lol:If I go to the grocery store for other things then I use my two Whole Foods green bags. They really hold quite a bit. I also keep a Whole Foods green bag folded up in my regular bag at all times just in case I need it. Now if I could only get the take-away places to use my reusable plastic containers for my food that would make me happy. But I've yet to find one that will:doh:

934147935_c15eede99a_m.jpg

image source | etsy

I read this article in The New York Times earlier this week. This seems the perfect place to post it:flower:

July 24, 2007
By Ian Urbina

Pressure Builds to Ban Plastic Bags in Stores

Paper or plastic? It is a question that has long dogged grocery shoppers. But the debate may soon be settled for this maritime city, where a bill aimed at protecting marine life would ban plastic bags from all retail stores.

San Francisco enacted a ban in April, but it applies just to larger groceries and drugstores. Similar measures are being considered in Boston; Baltimore; Oakland, Calif.; Portland, Ore.; Santa Monica, Calif.; and Steamboat Springs, Colo.

Alexandra Cousteau, granddaughter of Jacques Cousteau and director of EarthEcho, an environmental education group in Washington, said, “Banning plastic makes sense for the simple reason that it takes more than 1,000 years to biodegrade, which means that every single piece of plastic we’ve ever manufactured is still around, and much of it ends up in the oceans killing animals.”

Ms. Cousteau attended a public meeting here on Monday to support the measure. More than 70 people attended the meeting.

The bill aims to help protect Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, whose fish and birds often die after ingesting discarded plastic bags. Stores would be required to offer paper bags made from recycled material under the bill, which goes to a final City Council vote in October.

Critics say the ban would be expensive and counterproductive.

“It sounds good until you consider the cost,” said Barry F. Scher, a spokesman for Giant Food, the grocery chain based in Landover, Md.

Instead of taking away plastic bags, which cost 2 cents each compared with 5 cents for paper bags, Annapolis should enforce its litter laws, Mr. Scher said.

He added that Giant already offered a 3-cent credit for every plastic bag that customers return to the store and that 2,200 tons of bags a year were recycled and turned into backyard decks and park benches.

Paper bags are bulkier to transport than plastic bags, Mr. Scher added, and more trucks, fuel and pollution are involved in delivering them to stores.

“That may be true,” said Alderman Sam Shropshire, the sponsor of the bill here. “But what they don’t tell you is that to make 100 billion plastic checkout bags per year, which is how many we use in the U.S. each year, it takes 12 million barrels of oil. No oil is used to produce recycled paper checkout bags.”

Jeffrie Zellmer, legislative director of the Maryland Retailers Association, said it took far less energy to recycle plastic than to recycle paper. Mr. Zellmer added that 90 percent of retailers used plastic bags and that costs could increase threefold or sixfold, eventually reaching consumers.

The commercial recycling coordinator for the City and County of San Francisco, Jack Macy, said that nationally 1 percent of all plastic checkout bags were recycled. “That means the rest end up in landfill,” Mr. Macy said. “And so the argument about plastic recycling being energy efficient isn’t a strong one.”

“Look,” Mr. Shropshire said, “in the end, the best option is for people to bring their own reusable bags. But if they fail to do that, then they can use paper bags that biodegrade faster than plastic and yet do not require any trees to be cut down.”

At the hearing, a lobbyist for Safeway called the bill un-American, saying it would take choices away from consumers.

For now, Mayor Ellen O. Moyer of Annapolis, a Democrat, remains undecided on the measure.

A spokesman for Ms. Moyer, Ray Weaver, said the city planned to distribute reusable bags to residents by the fall. To accomplish that, Mr. Weaver said, the city is considering teaming with sail makers to use excess material that teenagers in a jobs program may sew into sacks.

“I think it’s a smart move,” said Jim Martin, owner of the Free State Press, a small printing and copy store several blocks from the State Capitol, as he ordered business cards for a City Council member to be delivered in a plastic bag.

Mr. Martin said he was more than willing to phase out the plastic bags because he was tired of the litter in the streets, trees and bay.

Brian Cahalan, owner of 49 West, a coffeehouse about two blocks from the Capitol, said that regardless of whether the measure passed, the debate had compelled him to act.

Though his store uses plastic bags, Mr. Cahalan said, he plans to encourage customers to use their own bags or none by adding a fee of 25 cents for each store bag used.

“That way,” he said, “we won’t have to figure out which of these two types of litter is worse.”

^I don't see the point in banning them. If everyone just stopped using them then they would become obselete. I guess we can't reley on people to just change.

and Luxx made a really good point about size, I was having a conversation with my grandmother recently about the Anya Hindmarch bag/reusable bags and she was complaining about how small most of the available options were

I always carry in my bag a cotton shopping bag for grocery of even for shopping...if you think how many plastic shopping bags we can save just bringing one reusable..great 3d!!

I'm always surprised at the wide array of things that people call 'Un American'. It's like a term people can throw around in reference to something they don't like, in the hopes that other people will also dislike or boycott said thing simply on the basis of it being 'Un American' without examining the reasons the first person dislikes what is going on, or their motive.

I hope that this catches on even more, my friends sometimes give me the impression that they think all of my random attempts at being more responsible in the waste we create and the impact that we have is silly. Probably because there is the argument that the things we do (use more energy efficient lighting to save the amount of power that we use) have other adverse affects (increased mercury usage, which ends up appearing in our fish stock, making it unsafe to eat). We may not have it entirely right, and hopefully we will soon (we have to get it right....) but until then I will keep doing what I can in whatever way, that I think might help. Thanks for starting this thread, the 'I'm not a plastic bag' hoopla is just getting to be too much!

Sometimes I wonder if the original intent really WAS to make a difference, because if it was, why would they not mass market on a larger scale, to make it widely usable, instead of what it is now, a status symbol for those (not all, but some) that don't appreciate it's intended use. Just seems like they are keeping it intentionally exclusive... although I don't follow the news closely, maybe mass production is already in the works.

I love those Bagu bags, and the fact that I can just toss it into my existing purse is fabulous, because I am also forgetful or absent-minded. I wonder if they can be stenciled for a more personalized version... I have this urge to put more colour on everything I own.

- Cyn

My mom got a bunch of these at the grocery store for $1each. They fit a lot and she gets 50 points each time she uses them at the chain's various grocery stores. They serve their purpose and if they get wrecked, who cares?

4uxcvf7.jpg

presidentschoice.ca

thisisnotaplasticbag_2.jpg

Made from non-biodegradable juice and sauce packs, each one of these is unique - and they're not made in factories, either. Dorothy Perkins tell the story behind the bags:

If you stood in line to get your hands on Anya Hindmarsh's 'I'm Not a Plastic Bag' tote, here's one with even better eco-credentials. Made from non-biodegradable juice and sauce packs, each one of these is unique - and they're not made in factories, either. Dorothy Perkins tell the story behind the bags:

"Two hundred Filipino women decided to band together and form a co-operative to clean up their neighbourhood. Initially they merely collected rubbish themselves, but as the concept developed, they installed big refuse bins at various local collection points such as schools, asking people to recycle their used packs. As a result they now collect 50,000 packs a day. The packs are then sorted, cleaned, sanitized, sewn together and transformed into the Rubbish Bags. Profits from the factory are divided between all the employees in the co-operative."

article and pic from fashionpolice.com

the bags range from $20-$40. i love the whole concept.

Great article MMA! I read that as well. I really think stores need to have more incentive programs to get people to switch over to bringing their own bags. If say people got a small discount or earned some sort of points each time they used their own bags I think it could really encourage people to bring their own bags from home.

And I'm so with you on take out places not letting people use their own containers! I don't understand it at all - it actually saves them money if you use your own container.

Arksiel, I hope this catches on as well. It would be nice to see it expand.

clucreciala - those are so cool. I love the juice box one especially. I love creative recycling!

The Bags of Change tote is also very cute - I love the pattern:
4pxloww.jpg

Image Credit : Bags of Change

Last edited by a moderator:
so lovely clucreciala !!
I've similar reusable bags that I got for € 1 each , I 've bough them last years in a market here in milan, they're 100% recycled, at the grocery are really usefull , big enough to put everything, and they're nice to show!!
I think that we all get the point to use when it's possible recycled bags, they're smarter that the plastic ones and the last ages...If I just think about a normal shopping on saturday and how many plastic of paper bags you get in the stores, some of those bags are too small to reuse them for the garbage bin...

I use Envirosax, ever since I saw them on Delight.com I fell in love! You can get them $8 for a single or $35 for something like five. Like the Baggu ones, they roll up and fit in your purse. I like all the fun prints and I have never failed to get compliments on them.

ES-3.FL.B1_tn.jpg

envirosax.com

Paper or plastic?

The Bite

How 'bout neither. We use shopping bags for a few hours, but they can take lifetimes to decompose. New foldable nylon versions make it easy to BYOB wherever you go-whether it's clothes shopping, grocery shopping, or a drugstore impulse buy.
The Benefits
  • Oil and tree savings. In the United States, 12 million barrels of oil and 14 million trees go to producing plastic and paper bags each year.
  • Discounts. Stores like Safeway and Whole Foods offer a five-penny discount if you bring your own.
  • Being a role model. Other shoppers'll watch and learn.
  • Safety for sea creatures. Plastic bags are the fifth most commonly found item in coastal cleanups.
Personally Speaking

Jen's brought her own since the days when loading up a canvas bag at the store wasn't so popular. She still gets weird looks from other shoppers, but that's for other reasons...
Wanna Try?
  • ACME Bags Workhorse - superlight nylon bags that fold into a tiny attached pouch, in four colors ($10).
  • Ecobags Organic Cotton String Shopping Bag - these simple bags fit in your purse or pocket. Also: reusable produce bags ($3-$7).
  • Posch - stylish bags created from vintage sheets and pillowcases ($40).
  • Biter Bag - our very own bags, made from recycled plastic bottles ($20).
  • "I'm Not a Plastic Bag" Bag - this bag spells it out for those who are slow on the uptake ($15).
  • If you must use a plastic bag, reuse it as long as you can, then tie it into knots before you toss it to keep it from ballooning up into the air and ending up as litter.
idealbite.com

i think this sort of trend is still going strong.. especially after the huge success of "i'm not a plasic bag" last year..

here are a few that i saw online..

beau bag
A stylish grocery sack! Price is affordable to entice people to help the environment without shelling out a lot of cash.

style #: 02084301
fabric: cotton canvas
colors: natural body with dark grey lettering and rope handle
care: hand wash + lay flat

$44

size: one size

pixel.gif
notcot.com

beaubag1.jpg

I love the fact that so many places are promoting reuseable bags now! I just hope this isn't a "trend" that is going to go "out of style"... It's something that really needs to stick because it's important!

I like the Baggu bags. I also have a similar one that folds into itself that is from a musical festival called Farm Aid.

Illu Stration by Mary Ann
NO MORE PLASTIC!
NO MORE WASTE!

HELP! ECO FELT BAG

Classic plastic shopping bag turns into an Eco-chic 100% wool felt bag
Re-usable
It is a must-have bag for your everyday shopping at the grocery store and an unique fashion accessory.
Just fold together flat to store away.
Bags close automatically when flat.
Shopping bag and handbag.

Made out of one piece of felt.
Available in different sizes and colors.
"HELP! Don't shoot" The war against plastic bags.
illu-stration.de

ECOBAGS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->