Frankenpolish

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by StarsInHerEyes, Feb 4, 2010.

1. StarsInHerEyes

StarsInHerEyes New Member

Frankening is the process of mixing different polishes, pigments, glitter, etc to create a unique nail polish, or "frankenpolish". You can create jellies, glitters, and even mattes frankening.

AllLaqueredUp

If you want to see different Frankens, the Frankenpolish Notepad on Makeup Alley, and Dr. Frankenpolish's blog are a good places to go^_^.

2. StarsInHerEyes

How to Frankenpolish:

drfrankenpolish.wordpress.com

3. StarsInHerEyes

Different Frankens:

Jackie Green Jelly

For this polish, I used Wet ‘N Wild clear, Wet ‘N Wild Black Creme, and New York Summer Amaranth.

[​IMG]

I mixed 1/2 the clear polish with 1/2 NYS Amaranth. I added the black in a couple drops at at time, shaking and swatching in between, until I had the shade of dark green I was happy with.

[​IMG]

The picture was taken without a top coat on the polish, so you can see how shiny it is on it’s own.

[​IMG]

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I used New York Summer Hot Sky Blue, Wet ‘N Wild clear, and Wet ‘N Wild Black Creme.

[​IMG]

I poured 1/2 Hot Sky Blue into and empty bottle, then added almost 1/2 of clear into it. I used 10 drops of the black creme to darken the mix into a deep navy.

[​IMG]

As with most jelly polishes, this took 4 coats to be opaque, but it was well worth it! It is a true navy, and even it low light it still looks dark blue and not black. This is without a top coat on it, and look how shiny it is!

[​IMG]

Baby Chickadee

I used Wet N Wild French White Creme and Zoya Creamy yellow creme. I was originally going to use the same white I used for Orange Julius (Sally Hansen Insta Di Whirlwind White), but I wanted this polish to be a bit softer & the WnW is not quite as stark white as the SH.

[​IMG]

I added 3/4 of the white into an empty bottle, and topped it off with 1/4 of Zoya Creamy.

[​IMG]

The result is a soft yellow non-chalky pastel.

[​IMG]

#3 StarsInHerEyes, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 4, 2010
  4. StarsInHerEyes

Štěstí Matte

I used Hydrated Chromium Oxide Green pigment from TKB Trading, and Nailtek Foundation II for this one.

[​IMG]

I filled an empty bottle 3/4 full of Nailtek, then added in 1 tablespoon of Oxide Green pigment. These mixed very easily with the help of a couple ballz and some light shaking.

[​IMG]

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MATTE EVER! Very rarely have I worn my frankens (or the rest of my ginormous stash of “regular” polishes) more than once…but I have worn this one THREE times since making it! Can you see why?

[​IMG]

Love Me More

I used Color Club Sultry Diva gold glitter, Jade Asteroid Caress, Jade Blue Twilight, and Martha Stewart micro glitter in Peridot.

[​IMG]

I mixed 1/3 each of the glitters into an empty bottle, and added 1 tablespoon of Peridot glitter. Glitter mixes fairly quickly, so in a few shakes I had my sparklie pretty!

[​IMG]

This polish is mega-glittery, and I needed to take several pics to really capture its beauty!:

Indoors/flash:

[​IMG]

Indoors/no flash:

[​IMG]

Outdoors/shade:

[​IMG]

5. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

6. Lovey

Lovey New Member

I love the name "frankenpolish", this looks like a fun thing to do.

7. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Ooooh this might be what i spend half term doing!!!

8. Dora

Dora New Member

Such a nice thing :smile:

9. Modernwilla

Modernwilla New Member

It is so nice to be able to make your own
    With all the products available, I cant believe no one have done that before

10. loonaka

loonaka Active Member

l love that glitter one, but I hate removing it cause it takes forever..but it lookes pretty while it's on you nails^^

11. pinksatin

pinksatin New Member

Yeah, these are really cool and creative! About the glitter one, I think glitter polish is easier to remove if you put down one coat of either clear base coat or any color as a base first. Then the glitter is not adhering directly to your nail and the nail polish remover seems to be able to dissolve it off faster. In my experience anyway.:flower:

12. ellesea

ellesea New Member

This is so cool!! Thank you very much for posting. I've been in a nail polish rut lately but don't want to buy new bottles as I always end up with two many 1-2 use ones. What a great idea to reuse some of my existing ones.

13. amazingGrace

amazingGrace New Member

i love those jelly polishes and the glittery one, but HOLY COW that woman has terrifying nails!! How can she even type with those things?! :shock:

14. StarsInHerEyes

More^_^:

Fairy Armour
    I used Maybelline Wet Shine clear (any clear will do…this was another Dollar Tree find!) and Fantasy Makers loose glitter in Imagination.
    [​IMG]
    I filled an empty bottle with 3/4 clear, then added in 1 tablespoon of Imagination glitter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#14 StarsInHerEyes, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 12, 2010
  15. StarsInHerEyes

Valley of the Kings
    I used Tony and Tina fine silver cosmetic glitter, Sally Hansen Gold Chrome, and Gold Reflects pigment from TKB Trading.
    [​IMG]
    I filled an empty bottle a tad over 3/4 full with Gold Chrome, then added in 1 tablespoon each of the silver and gold glitters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Up close…
    [​IMG]

#15 StarsInHerEyes, Feb 12, 2010
  16. StarsInHerEyes

Last Shuttle To Pluto
    I decided to use Wet ‘N Wild black because I thought it was a good choice to compliment the Travel to Pluto pigment from TKB Trading. I filled an empty 0.25 oz bottle with 3/4 black, and mixed in 1 teaspoon of Pluto pigment.
    [​IMG]
    Is it grey? Purple? Blue? I think I even see a bit of green in there! As you can see, I needed several pics to capture the color morphing going on here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#16 StarsInHerEyes, Feb 12, 2010
  17. StarsInHerEyes

Wishful Thinking
    For the base, I used LA Colors in Amethyst, which is a pretty color on its’ own…but sadly, after I opened the bottle the cap was all wonky and wouldn’t close again properly, so I decided I may as well franken with it while I was re-bottling it.
    [​IMG]
    After pouring the entire bottle of Amethyst into an empty bottle, I added in 1 tbsp. each of Martha Stewart glitter in Turquoise and Lapis Lazuli. You can use less glitter for a more subtle effect, but I wanted this to really shine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Up close of the glittery goodness…
    [​IMG]

18. StarsInHerEyes

Red Supernova
    I used Color Club Electronica (please excuse the broken bottle top!), LA Colors Art Deco in Red Glitter, and Pure Ice Heartbreaker.
    [​IMG]
    I filled an empty bottle half full of Electronica, and added half each of Red Glitter and Heartbreaker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. rachelbojangles

rachelbojangles New Member

That pale yellow is gorgeous:heart:

20. pinkdolphin

pinkdolphin New Member

The last one is really gorgeous! You don't need to do anything dramatic though. If you have a color that you wish was more pinkish toned or lilac toned then just add some of that polish. This started as a darker sky blue but I wanted a lighter, periwinkle blue so I added some white to lighten it and some lilac to make it "dustier". Remember to tip some of the original polish out to make room for any you want to add.

[​IMG]

pic credit: me