Frankenpolish

StarsInHerEyes

Reaction score
Frankening is the process of mixing different polishes, pigments, glitter, etc to create a unique nail polish, or "frankenpolish". You can create jellies, glitters, and even mattes frankening.

Ask any beauty junkie and we’ll admit, no matter how many shades, fragrances or formulations are thrown our way we are still restless for more. Even if we find that perfect product, after a while we’ll wish it was a bit more “something”. Deeper in color, smoother in feel, slightly more floral, etc. Let’s face, it we’re just never satisfied.

As we’ve learned from magazines, makeup artists and our fellow product junkies, beauty is like Burger King; we can have it our way. All it takes is a little customizing. Whether it’s layering your favorite perfumes to create a signature scent, mixing your moisturizer in with your foundation to make it sheer and dewy or blending eight different shadows to achieve that perfect smokey eye we love to alter and combine our favorite products.

In the world of lacquer it’s no different. When we can’t find the color we want we become kids again, mixing lacquer like we used to mix our finger paints. It’s all about experimenting, letting your imagination go and relying on our childhood art lessons about the color wheel. Say it with me folks, yellow and blue make green.

AllLaqueredUp

If you want to see different Frankens, the Frankenpolish Notepad on Makeup Alley, and Dr. Frankenpolish's blog are a good places to go^_^.

How to Frankenpolish:

Today, I bring you “Frankenpolish 101″. Before I break down the simple steps of the frankening process, I’d like to point out a few things.

Creating your own polish can be fun and addicting, but it can also be frustrating (not to mention, messy). Don’t get discouraged if your first polish doesn’t turn out well. Frankening is all about experimenting! I’ve created my fair share of hideous, blindingly ugly polishes that would make anyone shudder in disgust. It’s a learning process, and even the most experienced frankeners have the occasional failure! So let’s start with the basics you need to know…

Franken Supplies

A frankeners’ best friend is BALLZ! Yes, you read that correctly. Ballz help your polish creation mix together, and also save you from endless hours of shaking the bottle until you’re dizzy! Ballz are often called ball bearings, or BB’s. There are many places you can buy ballz, most commonly they are found in the sporting goods/hunting section at stores like Wal-Mart. I use Daisy Brand (purchased at Wal-Mart) zinc plated steel BB’s, 4.5 mm size. They do come in smaller size containers, and only cost a few dollars.

frankening1011.png

Another inexpensive frankening tool worth purchasing is a small art plate. You can mix together a tiny amount of your combination in the plate to see how it will look. It’s an excellent way to play around with different color combinations and saves you the aggravation of mixing together an entire bottle only to discover it isn’t what you wanted. Paper plates can also be used for this, but I prefer the paint tray because it is reusable and less wasteful. Again, you can find these at chain stores like Wal-Mart or craft stores for around $1.00 or less. It is easily cleaned off using polish remover/acetone and a cotton ball, or my personal favorite, plain old felt!

frankening1012.png

You’ll also need something to mix your “test polish” with. Toothpicks are a good choice, as well as cuticle sticks. Cuticle sticks, or sometimes called orange sticks, come in both wooden and plastic varieties. They are also very cheap to purchase and can be found at beauty supply stores or drugstores. I like using the wooden cuticle sticks because they are bigger than toothpicks, which make mixing easier, and I can clean them with acetone and get several uses out of one.

frankening1013.png

Once you have a color that pleases you, you’ll need a bottle to put it in! Empty polish bottles come in a variety of sizes, and can be bought at beauty suppliers. You can also clean out old polish bottles with acetone to re-use in your frankening adventures. Empty treatment bottles (such as Nailtek) are also wonderful to use once cleaned. The larger sized bottles will use up more of your supplies, so you may want to start off using smaller bottles. Dollar Stores are a great source for buying polishes to franken with. Those unappealing sheers take on a new life once a darker color is added! Cheaper brands such as NYC, Wet N Wild, and others found in drugstores are awesome for making frankens, and cost very little. On a side note, I like bottles that have peel off labels. It helps distinguish between my “real” polishes and the frankens.

frankening1014.png

Mixing together different polish colors is a great way to exercise your creativity! You can also use cosmetic pigments (such as eyeshadow pigments) and glitter to jazz up your frankenpolish. If you’re using glitter, cosmetic grade glitter works very well. I would avoid using craft glitter, unless it’s fine grade, because it tends to be too big and doesn’t mix well. Glitter and pigments are best mixed with a clear or sheer polish. If you are going for a darker color, like black, make sure you add a good amount of clear to it first. This will help your glitter stand out better in the polish, and also avoid settling to the bottom of the bottle. Using glitter and pigments can be tricky, since some brands or types just refuse to play nice with any type of polish. Again, experiment with several kinds and see what works for you!

frankening1015.png

A quick little trick that will make adding pigments and glitter much easier (and less messy) is to make a small funnel out of paper. Simple roll up a small square of paper (approx. 3 x 3 inches works well) into a funnel shape and tape together. Make sure the hole at the end is slightly smaller than the opening to the polish bottle, but not too tiny. Voila!

frankening1016.png

Alright! You’re ready to franken! Here is a step by step example to help you get started:

*For this example, I am using Wet N Wild Sapphire polish, frankened with Fantasy Makers silver cosmetic glitter*

Step 1

Place a couple drops of polish into your art tray.

frankening1017.png

Step 2

Shake in a bit of glitter. Remember, start small! You can always add more in as you go along.

frankening1018.png

Step 3

Use an orange stick or toothpick to mix the glitter and polish together.

frankening1019.png

Step 4

Swatch the mixed polish on a piece of plain paper. If you are satisfied with the appearance of your franken mixture, go to the next step, otherwise repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get the desired effect.

frankening10110.png

Step 5

Taking your base color bottle (WnW Sapphire in this example), set aside the cap/brush and place your funnel into the top of the bottle.

frankening10111.png

Step 6

Slowly add glitter or pigment into the bottle. Same rule applies here…add a little at a time!

frankening10112.png

Step 7

Add your ballz! Two or three should be sufficient.

frankening10113.png

Step 8

Shake, shake, shake! Swatch the polish on paper, the same way you did with the test batch. Add more glitter if needed and shake some more.

frankening10115.png

Step 9

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of your very own frankenpolish! Be proud of yourself, and enjoy your new pretty!

frankening10116.png

drfrankenpolish.wordpress.com

Different Frankens:

Jackie Green Jelly

For this polish, I used Wet ‘N Wild clear, Wet ‘N Wild Black Creme, and New York Summer Amaranth.

frankenpolish11.png

I mixed 1/2 the clear polish with 1/2 NYS Amaranth. I added the black in a couple drops at at time, shaking and swatching in between, until I had the shade of dark green I was happy with.

frankenpolish12.png

The picture was taken without a top coat on the polish, so you can see how shiny it is on it’s own.

frankenpolish13.png

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I used New York Summer Hot Sky Blue, Wet ‘N Wild clear, and Wet ‘N Wild Black Creme.

frankenpolish21.png

I poured 1/2 Hot Sky Blue into and empty bottle, then added almost 1/2 of clear into it. I used 10 drops of the black creme to darken the mix into a deep navy.

frankenpolish22.png

As with most jelly polishes, this took 4 coats to be opaque, but it was well worth it! It is a true navy, and even it low light it still looks dark blue and not black. This is without a top coat on it, and look how shiny it is!

frankenpolish23.png

Baby Chickadee

I used Wet N Wild French White Creme and Zoya Creamy yellow creme. I was originally going to use the same white I used for Orange Julius (Sally Hansen Insta Di Whirlwind White), but I wanted this polish to be a bit softer & the WnW is not quite as stark white as the SH.

frankenpolish31.png

I added 3/4 of the white into an empty bottle, and topped it off with 1/4 of Zoya Creamy.

frankenpolish32.png

The result is a soft yellow non-chalky pastel.

frankenpolish33.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Štěstí Matte

I used Hydrated Chromium Oxide Green pigment from TKB Trading, and Nailtek Foundation II for this one.

frankenpolish41.png

I filled an empty bottle 3/4 full of Nailtek, then added in 1 tablespoon of Oxide Green pigment. These mixed very easily with the help of a couple ballz and some light shaking.

frankenpolish42.png

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MATTE EVER! Very rarely have I worn my frankens (or the rest of my ginormous stash of “regular” polishes) more than once…but I have worn this one THREE times since making it! Can you see why?

frankenpolish43.png

Love Me More

I used Color Club Sultry Diva gold glitter, Jade Asteroid Caress, Jade Blue Twilight, and Martha Stewart micro glitter in Peridot.

frankenpolish51.png

I mixed 1/3 each of the glitters into an empty bottle, and added 1 tablespoon of Peridot glitter. Glitter mixes fairly quickly, so in a few shakes I had my sparklie pretty!

frankenpolish52.png

This polish is mega-glittery, and I needed to take several pics to really capture its beauty!:

Indoors/flash:

frankenpolish53.png

Indoors/no flash:

frankenpolish54.png

Outdoors/shade:

frankenpolish55.png

I love the name "frankenpolish", this looks like a fun thing to do.

Ooooh this might be what i spend half term doing!!!

It is so nice to be able to make your own
With all the products available, I cant believe no one have done that before

l love that glitter one, but I hate removing it cause it takes forever..but it lookes pretty while it's on you nails^^

Yeah, these are really cool and creative! About the glitter one, I think glitter polish is easier to remove if you put down one coat of either clear base coat or any color as a base first. Then the glitter is not adhering directly to your nail and the nail polish remover seems to be able to dissolve it off faster. In my experience anyway.:flower:

This is so cool!! Thank you very much for posting. I've been in a nail polish rut lately but don't want to buy new bottles as I always end up with two many 1-2 use ones. What a great idea to reuse some of my existing ones.

i love those jelly polishes and the glittery one, but HOLY COW that woman has terrifying nails!! How can she even type with those things?! :shock:

More^_^:

Fairy Armour
I used Maybelline Wet Shine clear (any clear will do…this was another Dollar Tree find!) and Fantasy Makers loose glitter in Imagination.
frankennails11.png

I filled an empty bottle with 3/4 clear, then added in 1 tablespoon of Imagination glitter.
frankennails12.png

frankennails13.png

Valley of the Kings
I used Tony and Tina fine silver cosmetic glitter, Sally Hansen Gold Chrome, and Gold Reflects pigment from TKB Trading.
frankenpolish31.png

I filled an empty bottle a tad over 3/4 full with Gold Chrome, then added in 1 tablespoon each of the silver and gold glitters.
frankenpolish32.png

frankenpolish33.png

Up close…
frankenpolish34.png

Last Shuttle To Pluto
I decided to use Wet ‘N Wild black because I thought it was a good choice to compliment the Travel to Pluto pigment from TKB Trading. I filled an empty 0.25 oz bottle with 3/4 black, and mixed in 1 teaspoon of Pluto pigment.
frankennails41.png

Is it grey? Purple? Blue? I think I even see a bit of green in there! As you can see, I needed several pics to capture the color morphing going on here!
frankennails42.png

frankennails43.png

frankennails44.png

frankennails45.png

Wishful Thinking
For the base, I used LA Colors in Amethyst, which is a pretty color on its’ own…but sadly, after I opened the bottle the cap was all wonky and wouldn’t close again properly, so I decided I may as well franken with it while I was re-bottling it.
frankennails21.png

After pouring the entire bottle of Amethyst into an empty bottle, I added in 1 tbsp. each of Martha Stewart glitter in Turquoise and Lapis Lazuli. You can use less glitter for a more subtle effect, but I wanted this to really shine!
frankennails221.png

frankennails23.png

Up close of the glittery goodness…
frankennails24.png

Red Supernova
I used Color Club Electronica (please excuse the broken bottle top!), LA Colors Art Deco in Red Glitter, and Pure Ice Heartbreaker.
frankennails51.png

I filled an empty bottle half full of Electronica, and added half each of Red Glitter and Heartbreaker.
frankennails52.png

frankennails53.png

frankennails54.png

The last one is really gorgeous! You don't need to do anything dramatic though. If you have a color that you wish was more pinkish toned or lilac toned then just add some of that polish. This started as a darker sky blue but I wanted a lighter, periwinkle blue so I added some white to lighten it and some lilac to make it "dustier". Remember to tip some of the original polish out to make room for any you want to add.

DSC00250.jpg

pic credit: me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->