French Sole

thanks for that article soft...
just to clarify that frensh and london sole ARE the same company :wink:
in fact, for retailers, they ask whether you want a french sole or a london sole stamp inside your shoe whilst ordering.
unfortunately for them (in a way) i have discovered the same exact shoe by a different not so fancy brand at half the price.
either way, i still order french sole simply cos it sells and is still considered a "good" price...

oh forgot to add that the low cut has a new twin called HARIET and the Pirouette is now the HENRIETTA :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have made the same discovery as leyla. Already some years ago some very ordinary shoe shops in Denmark started selling some very nice ballet flats called Hirica, and when I later ordered from French Sole I was disappointed to receive exactly the same shoe, just with another name and a much higher price. So I have stopped buying French Sole and keep buying Hirica.

thanks for that article soft...
just to clarify that frensh and london sole ARE the same company :wink:
in fact, for retailers, they ask whether you want a french sole or a london sole stamp inside your shoe whilst ordering.
unfortunately for them (in a way) i have discovered the same exact shoe by a different not so fancy brand at half the price.
either way, i still order french sole simply cos it sells and is still considered a "good" price...

oh forgot to add that the low cut has a new twin called HARIET and the Pirouette is now the HENRIETTA :shock:

Is the brand available in the UK?

I have seen Hirica in London, but I don't remember where since I wasn't looking for ballet flats.

Anyone know about shipping charges for London Sole in the US?

Do they charge tax for NY?

The leather is all pilled on the toe area, and the leather is so thin and looks seriously worn all over. I have walked a lot in them in the past month, but I am little dissapointed that it doesn't seem these shoes will make it through the spring. They are cute though for what they are, a simple no-frills flat.

Unfortunately, that has been my experience too. I paid quite a bit more than I think I should have for what I received. I ordered the Lowcut flats from London Sole in the US here and the shoes were way below the standard I expected. These really are "house shoes" in the sense that they didn't withstand daily city walking at all. It goes without saying that there was no arch support since it was just a ballet flat but the leather was very thin and scuffed very easily, and the sole was far too thin! As in only a few millimeters, (well that's my estimation I don't really know). And it seems to be a cheap rubber or plastic too not even leather. I think I am going to try to get rid of mine, I'm not going to lie I am disappointed. My feet felt just awful after wearing them for just one evening too, no cushion at all in the insole and I felt every rock, pebble and step from that night....and the next morning too ouch!:angry:

(Also for the Lowcuts, I sized up 2 sizes. Normally I am a 37 or 37.5 but I was 39 in these.)

And I didn't get taxed just in case anyone was wondering; they shipped out of Santa Monica or their warehouse in Florida I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how much more affordable French/London Sole are than Repetto, but as an ever thrifty buyer, I think something even more affordable would be wonderful...

I ordered Frenchsoles from the Uk (I'm in US) b/c I heard they were better quality then the london sole. I really wanted them to be an everyday shoe that I wouldn't care about wearing out. But, I have only had them for a month and they have totally fallen apart. Not good for everyday.

That's terrible - take them back!

I love how much more affordable French/London Sole are than Repetto, but as an ever thrifty buyer, I think something even more affordable would be wonderful...

But Repetto is made of much softer leather.

I've never had a problem with French Soles ( I have the pirouette) and I've been wearing my pair for almost 5 years now (daily for the first 2 years)!!!

I got caught in a horrible downpour thanks to the thunderstorms we were having in NY a few weeks ago and my lowcuts got completely soaked and shrunk! I'm not even sure how or if I can fix them. They went from being Lowcuts to Pirouettes in terms of the vamp length, blah. And the leather looks like it's "pulling". Anyone know what I can do? A shoestretch maybe? With some sort of oil?

I have made the same discovery as leyla. Already some years ago some very ordinary shoe shops in Denmark started selling some very nice ballet flats called Hirica, and when I later ordered from French Sole I was disappointed to receive exactly the same shoe, just with another name and a much higher price. So I have stopped buying French Sole and keep buying Hirica.

I don't have Hirica but I do have Lyon which I have been told is the same. Quite frankly, I hate my French Soles/Hirica/Lyon flats then, because I don't find them comfortable at all. Perhaps, I am just being picky but I just don't find them comfortable, I also have a pair from Pedro Garcia, and they are not exactly what I consider comfortable shoes either. I am hesitant, but I am considering trying Repettoes, since they are like the ultimate flats in the afforable range - I am of course comparing to Lanvin, Chanel etc. because I think Repettoes ARE very expensive for a pair of flats.

I am a complete ballet flats addict! I go through pairs like no tomorrow but I always buy from french sole (the london store). I use to use them as school shoes and went from leather to suede. The suede is much more durable and far more support I think personally.

Considering I've given them hell they do last pretty well I buy a new pair every 5-6 months maybe.

And if it helps I have a pair of chanels and yeah they are comfy but for some reason the size 3 is massive on me I really should've bought a 2 but in fs I can buy a 36 or even 37. Very strange!

What I also like is how they mould to your foot after a while like slippers that you can wear out kind of lol.

But be careful in the rain!!

So my search continues then? I need some that aren't going to get holes in!!!!

As a pretty tall person as it is I don't feel comfortable in heels, but it's far harder to find nice flats. I always rely on French Sole - such perfect fit, quality and design! My favourites are their quilted designs. Any thoughts?

I've got two pairs and I haven't had any problems with them. I find them really comfortable but I would advise going up a half size or so - they do come up a bit small but on the website they have size guides telling you how much to go up for each style of shoe. Both styles I have are quilt and the sides come up higher than the average flat so they stay on your feet better. I'm getting a pair of Harriet's soon though.

I may still get a pair of French Sole quilted flats, I love my cheap ones form the likes or Top Shop and New Look, but the FS ones are quite cute...I gues it'll be ok if I just wear them once in a while.

You should go for it! I wear my FS quilted flats pretty much every and they're still going strong after about three months and show no signs of wear apart from slightly on the back of the heel. They aren't cheap but in my experience last a lot longer than high street versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"