Gia Carangi

Yes. It's one of those losses to the world you can't stop thinking about. Obviously there are other people I knew personally I wish were still around and that's an even stronger feeling. But as for the artist/personalities joy-bringers that ever walked the earth....Gia is high up on the list. The promise of what could have been.

I get that feeling about her and Ian Curtis. I know she really succumbed to the pressures around her - but what if - what if! - she had learnt to direct her immense presence and power?

I'm watching Gia (hence bringing up this thread, haha), and I was thinking... I do think that sometimes, it's better for the image that one dies young. James Dean will forever be remembered for being cool and brooding; his contemporary Marlon Brando, who died in old age, is often remembered for some of his more eccentric traits that emerged later in life. I can't help but wonder if a 51 year old Gia would be a botox-ed up "cougar" working the reality circuit a la Janice Dickinson, or if she would have aged as gracefully as some of her other contemporaries (Christie Brinkley comes to mind).

I'm watching Gia (hence bringing up this thread, haha), and I was thinking... I do think that sometimes, it's better for the image that one dies young. James Dean will forever be remembered for being cool and brooding; his contemporary Marlon Brando, who died in old age, is often remembered for some of his more eccentric traits that emerged later in life. I can't help but wonder if a 51 year old Gia would be a botox-ed up "cougar" working the reality circuit a la Janice Dickinson, or if she would have aged as gracefully as some of her other contemporaries (Christie Brinkley comes to mind).

No, in her case, her face and body were just the top of a talent ice berg. Like Ian Curtis, very little of what she had was ever seen. This girl was talented way beyond modeling. Once she had come to terms with her personal problems by 30 she could have been something great...definitely not a cougar like Janice and not obsessed with keeping her looks like Christie Brinkley.

^ Yes she had the look of her time, complete versatility as described by Wilhelmina as being able to transform from an innocent looking girl into an exotic creature not of this earth. A career model if she hadn't imploded and died so young.

Check out style.com at this moment :smile:

www.style.com

It has a picture of Gia with Christiaan the legendary hairdresser. It's said to be after a shoot with Arthur Elgort. It says 1986, but that's most likely wrong.

Attachments

• gia_christiaan.jpg
    gia_christiaan.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 65
^ Jeisa you beat me to it I was just about to post that pic myself!

I haven't really kept up much lately as more images of her are seeping out from the archives...but damn...some of the latest ones are amazing.

source: giacarangiphotos.tumblr

tumblrm047zcovvb1qe82do.jpg

tumblrlqfdrpbxws1qd2gjz.jpg

tumblrlqfdp4gfx01qd2gjz.jpg

tumblrllwut1pcq41qd2gjz.jpg

Definitely amazing! She smoulders... you just wish you could meet her....

I just watched Gia this morning and WOW, I had never heard of this woman before today! She was so gorgeous

does anyone have this image in high res or bigger size? HELP !

Gia_Carangi_C276.jpg

giacarangi.com

Not sure if any of you've seen this, but it's of Francesco Scavullo shooting Gia for the April 1979 Cosmopolitan. Hopefully a video without the watermark will become available soon.

THANK YOU, Lupe!!! Have never seen this before and Gia's April '79 cover for Cosmopolitan is hands down my all-time favorite magazine cover ever!

US Vogue August 1979
The New Knitting: Everything You Want Now

Photo Denis Piel, Alex Chatelain
Models Eva Voorhees, Shaun Casey, Beverly Johnson, Kim Charlton, Gia Carangi, Kelly Emberg, Melanie Cain, Geri Carranza
Hair John Sahag, Marc Pipino
Makeup Arnold Pipkin, Vincent Nasso

vogue archive

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"