Givenchy Haute Couture S/S 2020 Paris

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by vogue28, Jan 21, 2020.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

VOGUE.COM

2. vogue28

3. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

Jacquemus deceased by the size of those hats.

A safe collection, I guess. Nowhere near my favorite, but I can see some of this on carpets and magazines. I must admit that I barely even paid attention to the clothes as I scrolled down, but Anok stopped me dead in my tracks. That face is just beyond!

amak, Salvatore, TaylorBinque and 3 others like this.
  4. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

She has managed to make light fabrics, like tulle, look like a ton of bricks over the models.

Those oyster-like dresses at the end are hard to digest. I thought pearls were oyster tears; but I think now they are tears from former Givenchy customers...

Sai likes this.
  5. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Pierpaolo created monsters!
    The yellow dress is stunning but the rest looks so heavy...
    No matter how good her technique is and how flawless the execution is, her work lacks in emotion and still don’t match the brilliance of Riccardo.

The great thing about Givenchy is that with Clare, it has become a real blank canvas: there’s no identity or cohesion from collections to collections....

6. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

The lady knows she's designing for la maison Givenchy, right? Not Balenciaga...

Royal-Galliano and Sai like this.
  7. helmutnotdead

helmutnotdead Well-Known Member

After Dior and Chanel, I’m not afraid to say I like this.

8. perhydrol

perhydrol Active Member

But Givenchy was working for Balenciaga so there were some similarities in their work.

I'm not sure about this collection. It left me a bit cold. There are looks that are fantastic, but I'm truly disappointed by the suits. They used to be Clare's forte ar Givenchy and here they are a bit too wide and don't really fit imo. What's more, in some places the show felt just too archival. Of course it's always good to bring all the old shapes (especially because they look truly modern), but at some point it was too much.

As a whole it's rather safe and not offensive but it doesn't really make any impact at the same time.

9. Sai

Sai Member

What a banal collection and show.
    one reference after another from couture guide books and other random designers ideas.
    So heavy handed too and NO signature.
    This designer has nothing to say.
    Was the inspiration a funeral? She must be very sad.

MagFan and jeanclaude like this.
  10. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

Maybe. It's always been hard to say what Givenchy stands for (or stood for) exactly but the cocoon cape, the high-waisted peplum skirts, the huge hats at the end are straight from Cristobal's archive.

11. vogue28

Must admit that this was the first couture show of the season, where I’ve stuck around to watch the full live stream in its entirety! One look after the other, I was keen to see what Clare would serve up next... and I wasn’t disappointed.

12. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Givenchy designs may have the rigor and a sense of sobriety of Balenciaga but he also worked with Schiaparelli and his fashion is supposed to have an ease...To not say a casual attitude that both Schiaparelli and Balenciaga didn’t have.
    Givenchy is supposed to be effortless and while clean, this looks like a lot of effort...to not say torture.

13. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

I don't know how to feel about this. While I kind of enjoy it because some looks are truly gorgeous and extremely well executed, Clare is also very heavy-handed. There are things that can be cut out and left out. Her clothes sometime feel like it's so over done. There's no joy or spirit in it. Unlike Valentino couture. I've been her stan since but she needs to change, to spice it up, tone it down. Do whatever because she has great potential and this is already miles ahead of what MGC and Virginie are doing.

14. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

What a pleasant surprise after that abysmal menswear collection. Some of these looks are truly breathtaking. Maybe she should just stick to doing couture.

I find that CWK is really just hit or miss. While I agree with others that she lacks a clear direction or vision for Givenchy, she at least knows how to make some pretty clothes.

TaylorBinque likes this.
  15. dior_couture1245

dior_couture1245 Fat Karl

So much for women creative directors solving all the problems.

gazebo likes this.
  16. CommanderTMugler

CommanderTMugler Well-Known Member

I just find it all utterly unflattering, even on tall, slim, slender models. I hope it’s on purpose, if not the average woman stands no chance. There’s some beautiful techniques, fabrics and colors/dyes but it will take a hell of a couture customer that understands how to combine them well to get a great flattering piece from this collection.

I want to see Charlize Theron in that black coat/mermaid tail dress at the Oscars.

17. TaylorBinque

Unfortunately I think Oscars is one of the big events she's contractual to wear Dior. But I think Charlize always look really great in Clare's Givenchy while she looks pedestrian in MGC's Dior

18. CommanderTMugler

CommanderTMugler Well-Known Member

Yeah you’re right, that’s the biggest event and she’s nominated. But she’s been wearing tons of Givenchy lately. I’m really interested to see her contract with Dior. She’s been with them forever, wearing another big brand like Givenchy should conflict but then again they’re both under LVHM. Does she have a contract with LVHM?

19. TaylorBinque

I think she still does but it's a smaller one though. She mainly wears LVMH brands. Usually she wear Dior to Golden Globe and Oscars and big premieres. She wore Givenchy customs to SAGs and PGAs. I spotted a Celine as well. I think Clare's Givenchy need stars with personality like Charlize, Cate, Nicole. But instead she dresses Rooney who makes her clothes even colder than they already are.

20. donyan

donyan Active Member

I do love this , it's miles better than all the other Couture Collections I've seen this week, apart from Valli, which I liked too. It's not a reinvention of the wheel but at least its beautiful to look at, and it does give me the impression of incredible craftsmanship.
    In fact its the only thing I like of hers. And in Couture it's less of a problem that the looks don't hang together as a story , or that there seem to be no overriding vision, unlike in her other Collections for Givenchy.