Givenchy moves show to New York

rebel

Reaction score
GIVENCHY will show its spring/summer 2016 collection at New York Fashion Week to celebrate the opening of the French label's new 5,000-sq-ft Madison Ave store. Taking place on September 11, the show will replace the brand's usual slot on the Paris Fashion Week schedule.

"It's a very delicate day for America, and so the show is going to be a celebration of family and love," creative director Riccardo Tisci told WWD. "It gives me so much energy, and I'm very inspired by the culture. I feel free when I'm there."
The company closed its previous Madison Avenue store in 2006, not long after Tisci started at the brand a decade ago, and has been absent from the city since. Givenchy currently operates stores in the Miami Design District and Wynn Las Vegas and will open another unit in Florida, in Miami's Aventura Mall, next year. Tisci will also oversee the design of new stores set to open soon in Milan, Rome and London.
ADVERTISING

"It seems like history repeating itself," Philippe Fortunato, Givenchy chairman and CEO said of Tisci's decision to take the collection to America. The founder of the house, Hubert de Givenchy, also showed in the US early in his career, dressing some of the biggest stars of the day stateside, including Audrey Hepburn.

Tisci showed his spring/summer 2016 Givenchy menswear offering in Paris this weekend, and enlisted some of the world's most famous female models to walk - including Naomi Campbell, Candice Swanepoel, Kendall Jenner and Joan Smalls.
vogue.co.uk

Hmmmm.. I don't know how to feel about this

^ I agree! NYFW is the one that doesn't really stick with me besides Rodarte, VB, Jason Wu, Wang and Prabal Gurung.

Givenchy will definitely be the star of NYFW no matter how bad the collections would be. Imagine being up beside and against commercial and street wear collections. But I just think Givenchy doesn't suit the NYFW vibe and I pray that Riccardo doesn't make Givenchy fit the NYFW standards because we know how tragic that would be. Imagine a Givenchy collection that looks like Michael Korrs, Marc Jacobs.... oh no

But from my understanding, this is a 1 time thing right?

Last edited by a moderator:
so he can be closer to his z-list reality show stars #gang? no thank you

^ that is what i first though. eugh. you know , i love what he does but i just hate his association with them all (minus kendall who i can tolerate) ... kim and kanye ... no thanks.

He is doing what Tom Ford did last season. Seeing how good in terms of publicity it was for him, i expect a lot of designers doing that every season now.

It will be his 10th anniversary collection. Surely a very celebrities-crowded event. I can already see the Beyonce, Nicky, Rihanna, Kardashian...etc. All the NBA stars, A-list actresses, socialites & even designers.

The cast will be huge with big names.
The event itself will be very predictable. I've high hopes for the collection. He is talented enough to surprise us.

Makes perfect sense considering the New York store opening and anniversary.

^^Makes zero sense, considering the tragedies that occurred in NYC on Sept. 11. But, hey, let's just throw money at the problem.

^I'm here for Caitlyn!!!!!
I hope the show's set is good, not like Marc Jacob's for Resort (which I get that resort shows don't get all the publicity from the rest of the FW, but that venue was too tiny).

He is doing what Tom Ford did last season.

Yes, and what a terrible inspiration to have.

And this is not surprising at all. The last few years his career has been nothing more than designing clothes based on American urban subcultures and attention-wh*ring with American celebrities, so...

that's sad, it will definitely be Kardashian filled

I really don't care. Maybe NYFW will be more exciting. But it is just for one season, right? Not for good?!

Ugh, talk about a bunch of overly dramatic responses. Lest we forget that countless designers -- Alexander McQueen, Karl Lagerfeld and the duo behind Valentino -- have all decamped to New York to present a collection at one point or another. Hell, two weeks ago Gucci showed its resort collection here.

Did we collectively roll our eyes and lambast those brands for being dirty, rotten attention seekers?

Oh and as for the Kardashian s***, they'll be there regardless of where Tisci shows. Honestly, just accept that for what it is and focus on the fashion.

I think it makes perfect sense. Yes Sept 11th is a sucky day, (I'm from NY and lived it), but the show will go on as will others on that same day.

^^Makes zero sense, considering the tragedies that occurred in NYC on Sept. 11. But, hey, let's just throw money at the problem.

Its another day, another dollar to most people. Of course, he and his people are trying to make it seem like it means more (for profit/press), but it is what it is. Frankly, I don't care. It's not like the collection is gonna show anything new.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->