Givenchy Pre-Fall 2012

i love the street style presentation.....very clever on selling the collection!

I'm so torn between this collection, I can't say I hate it or love it because there are things that go either way. I LOVE the tailoring, it's so perfect. I enjoy most of the plain pieces, and I'm oddly warming up to the boots (which is funny cause I usually hate the "pant/boot" things). But there are also things I cannot stand, like the weird furry headpieces with the matching fur banded sunglasses, :barf: and the prints just look awful. I hate the rottweiler shirt appearing AGAIN, and the the iris flowers pieced with the bird of paradise just look like some awkward experiment gone Forever 21/Topshop.
I'm just gonna sit here and pray to the fashion gods he doesn't go print mad at the Fall 2012 show

Sorry Orchid print also was recycled (FW 11.12 - Women) :(

The collection isn't bad actually. The sleeker, classic pieces with strong graphic lines are key. If I block the silly anime boots and heinously cheap looking floral prints out of my mind, it's a strong enough pre-collection.

I suppose Riccardo is going through his hip-hop phase and is desperate for some street-cred, hence the presence of that gimmicky Rottweiler again... but if that's what sells, why not shoehorn it into your collection whenever possible, right?

Anyway, Riccardo for Givenchy RTW seems to be lacking lately. It's his work for HC that still remains consistently strong.

There's hope yet.

Ok...I hate to say this but yes there appears to be a few re-hashed ideas...Yes the styling is a lil over the top....Yes the fur pieces and Boot Covers are less desireable IMO...but in my eyes Riccardo can do NO WRONG...Lets face it...most designers hate the whole pre-fall crap anyway, Its like they literally throw a collection together to appease the buyers and editors..so what if its nothing new or out of this world...save it for the Couture and Pret-a-Porter collections and to me his ReadyToWear and Couture cannot be topped!
I like a lot of the peices and I'm so happy to see Joan, lets hope she make a return to Givenchy for Fall campaign season...

Bravo Riccardo another job well done. I'm sure he's so busy finalizing his Spring Couture 2012 collection that he hardly had anytime to focus on Pre-Fall. I know Couture is going to be MAGICAL!!!! I cant wait!

by Mark Holgate​

Well, Riccardo Tisci, thanks for settling the debate that has been rumbling on about pre-fall, around these parts at least: Should designers be giving us real and really exciting fashion . . . or playing fill-in-the-wardrobe-gaps with plenty of perfectly good, if somewhat discreet and anonymous, pieces? Yes, it should be a no-brainer; the first option, please, what else? But not everyone is thinking that way. There have been quite a few collections in the past few weeks of pre-fall that have been full of straightforwardly lovely clothes but just aren’t going to get the heart beating even that little bit faster. Riccardo Tisci’s vision of Givenchy obviously doesn’t belong in that category because coming up with breathtaking fashion for Tisci is like, well, breathing itself; it’s something he just can’t help himself but do every single time he so much as picks up a pair of scissors, or a pen to sketch with.

Maybe that’s a little hyperbolic, but the reality is Tisci is cognizant of the fact that if you’re going to get women out to shop, you’d better inspire them, especially in these financially straitened times, to grab their purses and pocketbooks and beat a path to your door to snap up whatever you’re offering. Yet that’s not to imply that Tisci isn’t aware of the need to make clothes that are also absolutely wearable. His pre-fall is a distillation of all the Givenchy tropes he has come up with in the seven years he has worked at the house; which is to say, a kind of relentlessly cool take on androgynous urban/utilitarian dressing underscored with empowering, and compelling, notions of female sexuality.

There is the military-precision tailoring, in the form of khaki, olive, and sand jackets and coats, with many looking like the collision between, variously, a Perfecto, a double-breasted man’s coat, a blazer, and an army greatcoat. There are his trademark luscious tropical blooms that sparked last year’s Givenchy mania, now isolated as a single embroidery on a short dress with a fringe-trim scarf neckline, or spliced and paneled together with black or other archival prints into graphic dresses and skirts. And everywhere there is his wonderfully offhand way with the most luxurious materials—a crocodile sleeve, mink-trimmed sunglasses (I know . . . but they looked fantastic)—mixed up with the likes of cotton sweatshirting or melton wool. What all this results in is a collection from which, even if you picked out just one, maybe two, pieces, you’d end up with something that could make you feel like you’d elevated your look because you’re wearing a piece of clothing that feels new in every sense of the word. And that, in short, is exactly what pre-fall should be all about.

-vogue​

By Nicole Phelps​

To talk about Givenchy's pre-fall collection, you have to start with the footwear. After seasons of ankle boots, Riccardo Tisci's knee-high boots with heel-covering sheaths are automatic silhouette changers (not to mention instant collector's items), adding a cool edge to pencil skirts, shirtdresses, and jodhpur-style pants.

Tisci said he was thinking about the 1950's silhouettes of Bettie Page (already familiar to fans of his Spring 2011 collection), as well as 1970's French horseback riding. The Givenchy woman, he explained, "wants a strong look for pre-fall; it's no different than the runway collections." The strongest looks here had to be the jackets. Showing off some of the construction techniques he's picked up during his four years designing menswear, they came with black chiffon insets at the sides that revealed the real camelhair fabric underneath used to keep the jackets' shapes. Menswear wasn't the only element he mined for ideas, though. Curvy polo dresses were pieced together from seven years of prints, and his Spring 2012 iridescent paillettes became another print on a sweatshirt fabric sheath. When your brand is as hot as Givenchy is, recycling pays dividends. Still, Tisci keeps innovating; his killer new boots are proof of that.

-style​

this is Retail gold! the jackets amazing the sweaters sexy! the prints are fun. this is going to sell like hot cakes.... get in line. i just hope the menswear jackets are the same cause i want them now!

i never expect a pre-fall (or cruise) collection to be the most innovative. hey, there are some designers who are never innovative, but they do what they do, and they do it well. the jackets and knits are to die for, and (to the eye) seem to be tailored impeccably well. i see these pieces selling incredibly well and the coats popping up on the backs of many FW goers, come february.

Wow I saw a pic on Paris-Milan Men's schedules thread and I thought that collection was FW :whew:

Jay-Z and Kanye West have been wearing this collection for ages in their tour.

I knew it! The previews were NOT for Fall 2012/13/ I KNEW Riccardo wouldn't do sharks again for Fall after Spring for women.

My prayers have been answered.

So many things wrong, I can't even keep count. There are some great pieces and tailoring here, but what a mess.

The styling is horrendous. Did Carine have anything to do with this?
Inconsistent/Not Cohesive.
Sick of the streetstyle/Hip Hop influence.
Terrible mixture of prints from past collections.
Rick Owens wants his boots back.
So many random pops of colors and too many fabrics.

I'm done.

haha... agree. its horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->