Good Graphic Design Books

twilight fairy

Reaction score
Guys I need your help..
I want to get a good friend a graphics design book..with a collection with, preferrably, a variety of different types of graphic design..
I love all the examples you have posted so I can rely on your advice, surely.
Thank you in advance! ^_^ :flower:

my favorite book [it's mostly printed matter, though] is
159253077X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/159253077X/qid=1145565607/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-8098741-1952702

It sounds great too. It's too bad I can't just browse through it at the libraries here :( Unavailable...

How about recommendations on visual elements?? Like line, texture, shape... and also colour and composition?
Even also graphic techniques (like ways to colour things, like crosshatching, pointillism, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If your Photoshop nut, like I then Commercial Photoshop with Bert Monroy is excellent. His website offers links to his other writings as well. Bert Monroy

gius, if you want info on techniques maybe an illustration handbook could work.

Ray Smith has an artist manual that covers a lot of techniques, from drawing to painting, to printing, in a really basic-reference kind of way. Here it is.

Rob Howard's Illustrator's Bible goes a little bit more in depth with the information and how-tos.

What I like about those 2 books is that they aren't a step-by-step kinda book, like color-by-numbers if you know what I mean. They provide tips and information but don't meddle with the creative process.

thanks 2mo i'll check them out:P

Mags! When graphic design in concerned, I like to check out the design rags, as they're more up to date than books. Communication Arts is good. Computer Arts is AWESOME. Look for HOW magazine too. I know there are more, but I can't remember now. But those 3 are solid.

qius, if you're not averse to venturing beyond the visual elements of life into the verbal and (accessible) epistemological components as well, then I think Alan Fletcher's The Art of Looking Sideways might be worth a look. It's seriously the best compendium of ideas, quotes, design elements that I've come across, and at over 1000 pages it guarantees that whoever has the good luck of owning can flip it open to a random page for many many nights of reading. Lovely 'display' book.

Although, having read over you request, I should say that The Art of Looking Sideways isn't a how-to manual but more a collection of human perceptions from the last thousands of years splattered onto pages, meant to inspire the reader's own individual exploration of their surroundings. If that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm a little late for the first post, but I would like to recommand "A Guide to Graphic Print Production" by Kaj Johansson, Peter Lundberg and Robert Ryberg. It's a basic handbook covering all aspects of print production and manufacturing.

It's translated to several languages as well, I have it myself in norwegian.

4gisg42.jpg

(photo from amazon.com)

The "1000 Graphic Elements" in post #2 look interesting as well, I might check it out sometime!

^ I have that book! It's SO good! It's one thing to be a 'designer' and be able to make a pretty picture. But once you understand how it gets produced you realize your limitations (and your UN-limitations,) you become a FAR better designer. It's really the only textbook I bought and kept from school. All the information is good for printing processes today too, so it's not going to be outdated for a while.

I know, I totally agree with you! We didn't have to buy it at school, but our teacher recommended it, I didn't buy it until after I was finished though, but I'm so glad I did buy it!

thanks for the suggestion, drifter-sister
it sounds like a really interesting book! something like good help for someone trying to pass beyond the 'rules':P and see personal interpretations of them

The art of looking sideways

Not really a graphic design book but it helps you be crazy and happening so you can be a good designer.

thanks holyday, going to purchase this book because of the title...:P

I think I mentioned this in another thread sometime ago. This one is a more specific-based book. Called Fashion & Graphics. It does cover alot of the ground graphic designers work on with fashion designers,including particularly invites,show posters and even the label on one's clothes. Basically,the overall aesthetics of a designer's work. It really showcases the importance that graphic design has in fashion. Of course,we all know how important it is, but it's still highly underrated I feel. The book is sectioned by collaboration...such as Paul Boudens,he's in there a few times but with the various designers he works with.

1856693384.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115432403_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Graphics-Tamsin-Blanchard/dp/1856693384

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmeColbert
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->