GOSSIP:Marissa Jaret Winokur Humiliated At Gucci

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jul 31 2004, 02:56 AM
For the ones who think that boycotting the store because of rude treatment really isn't a smart idea.

Someone previously said (I believe Softgrey) "You're money is power" and "withholding purchases in that store is the best way to show power".

That makes no sense. You're depriving yourself of the purse, jeans, or hat that you want to buy. They'll have hundreds of other people buying their pieces.

In the end you're the one who's lost out. They lose very little. One customer wont make much of a difference in a sales persons job because in the end they still get a paycheck and you DON"T have the item you wanted.

Why the hell should they get away with it? I think the best thing to do is show them how wrong they are by simply purchasing the item.

I've also thought of telling the sales person that she was no help and that she shouldn't take commission for the sale. If she were to disagree then I'd call over the manager. B)

"Boycotting" the store and saying "Oh this other store is better anyway" or "oh now they will lose money because I wont shop there anymore" is an EXCUSE for defeat.

In life you have to take situations by the balls and take action. Boycotting is so passive and really does nothing unless you're Gandhi and you have as many followers as he did.
[snapback]319046[/snapback]​

since you claim to be so clever...i'm surprised you didn't think of simply purchasing the item ELSEWHERE...lol...
:flower:

Wow this topic really hits home with me. Being a designer that is straight and male. I have to shop in many high end boutiques or the local mall for samples. I have have everything happen from being followed by security , being ignored or even kicked out of a store one( long story).

When I am owrking I can handle ahything cause I have a job to do so a rude salesperson is nothing, but i will let them know what they have done or have offended, and still make purchase if I have to.

On my own when shopping, I do not accept people being rude. I sometimes say something or simply leave and give my money to someone that wants it. I f a security is following me (and letting me know he is thre by letting his walkie talkie go off) I ignore him , but if he gets too close to me and getin my way trying to see what i am doing, i simply look him in the eye say"
I know you are only doing your job, but please stay out of my way while i shop. The moment you see me steal something arrest me, but until them i would appreciate the freedom to shop and not be harrased, no matter how subtle it is" .Then they realize I may not be what they they thought and chill out. But the best is when you buy something and walking out, i wink at them and simply say " Stank you. Stank you very much". many times they miss it, but some get it and mumble a
FU. Ha!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Jul 31 2004, 04:37 PM
If you knew how the word came about, you'd know it can be anything but :wink:
[snapback]319378[/snapback]​

Anything but what? :huh:

boy·cott ( P ) Pronunciation Key (boikt)
tr.v. boy·cott·ed, boy·cott·ing, boy·cotts
To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion. See Synonyms at blackball.

n.
The act or an instance of boycotting.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=boycott

I think what strawberry meant is boycotting can be anything but passive... Which is very true!

I wouldn't refer to Gandhis following of a doctrine of civil disobedience to be boycotting. He accepted a punishment for breaking the law which he felt was against his moral duties. Thoreau's essay on the subject is truly inspiring and I advise you to read it if you haven't already.

Originally posted by softgrey@Jul 31 2004, 04:41 PM
since you claim to be so clever...i'm surprised you didn't think of simply purchasing the item ELSEWHERE...lol...
:flower:
[snapback]319384[/snapback]​

Why should I waste my time going somewhere else? I consider my time valuable.

I wouldn’t displace myself or waste my time for anyone, especially a rude sales person who makes minimum wage.

Also, sometimes buying it somewhere else is not an option.

Thanks for keeping it Civil up to this point guys, please try not to let this get out of hand :wink: :flower:

Originally posted by CelineChic@Aug 1 2004, 02:46 AM
Why should I waste my time going somewhere else? I consider my time valuable.

I wouldn’t displace myself or waste my time for anyone, especially a rude sales person who makes minimum wage.

Also, sometimes buying it somewhere else is not an option.
[snapback]319794[/snapback]​

imo...you should spend your 'valuable' time doing the 'right thing'...and not worrying about proving how rich you are (or your parents are...) to a 'minimum wage salesperson'...

(ps...no salesperson in a madison ave boutique makes minimum wage...a good one can make btw $50-$100K...)

and i believe they sell gucci everywhere...including ebay... :wink: B)

Originally posted by ebowleg@Jul 30 2004, 01:07 PM
The Prada store on Madison Ave. has some pretty rude employee's in it as well...I walked around the store browsing and not one word was said to me, but the women that just entered the floor was quickly greeted and shown to the racks with 60% off...I had enough at that point and sharply pulled the saleswomen and her manager aside for a quick 'chat' :innocent:
[snapback]318571[/snapback]​

I am always treated very well at the Prada boutique on madison...i had this one SA at Prada pratically sprinting up the stairs to show me bags that went with the shoes i was trying on :innocent:

...but maybe im one of those women that are quickly shown to the 60% off sales :blush: :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Aug 1 2004, 11:23 AM

and i believe they sell gucci everywhere...including ebay... :wink: B)
[snapback]319942[/snapback]​

As a TFS member you should have learned that almost everything on Ebay is fake :lol:

:P

Originally posted by CelineChic@Aug 1 2004, 01:58 PM
As a TFS member you should have learned that almost everything on Ebay is fake  :lol:

:P
[snapback]320058[/snapback]​

i wouldn't know...i don't shop on ebay...but that's not the point...the point is that there are many retail outlets for something as common as a gucci bag...

The Good :

I remember when I was 15 and in Hawaii, I remembered entering Gucci/YSL store with a friend during peak christmas season, and while YSL SA were all busily helping japanese tourists, I didn't really mind seeing as how I had gone in only to accompany my friend. But then at the Gucci store, the SA was pretty attentive, and I had a conversation with the manager about Taiwan (since apparently we're both from there) and etc.

But that's in Hawaii. In Taipei, I have yet to find rude service anywhere. I found Lagerfeld Gallery, Plein Sud, Miu Miu and Prada to be incredibly attentive. Some of the salespeople even remembered me the second time I went there.

The Bad:

I was wearing a sweatshirt when I was sick this one time, and my mom had decided that was the day we'd be going dress shopping for my prom, I recieved the chilliest treatment from a 'french' woman at Versace(her accent was suspect). So even though I liked the dress, I told my mom not to buy it ... the woman just irked me so much. I was feeling light-headed and dealing with this woman who refused to do anything for me was giving me a headache. And we were the only people in the store, so there's no excuse tehre. Btw, this was in Vancouver.

Also, there's this Lacoste store here in the surburbs that was especially rude, so much so, that I didn't even feel like staying in the store for more than 5 minutes. I brought my business to Polo instead.

--- I think when it comes to reading people, we are all prejudiced to some extent. Some more than others. However I think those in retail should have a wider mindset, alienating potential customers isn't the right thing to do. It may be that some aren't there to buy, but who's to say that in the future they won't be back with something in mind?

I get Celinechic's power rush with her purchase of that bag, but I don't think I'd ever handle it that way.

Like everyone else said, this is terrible!

I've had problems before in high end stores as well. Even low end stores. Salespeople seem to help you and greet you based on your appearance. Whether it has to do with weight, or in my case, dressing less than perfect (I usually just throw any old thing on to go shopping. Hair frizzy, glasses on, shlubby clothes.) I think that sales people should give equal attention to everyone regardless of their appearance.

However I don't think boycotting would help. These seem to be more the ideas of the salespeople, not necessarily those of the designers/companies.

I think that shopping in luxury stores requires a bit of snobbery on your end. Walk in with your head high and treat it like you are shopping anywhere else. Most of the bad experiences could be fixed just by going in with a good attitude and a bit of pride. If you go in thinking that you aren't... I don't know, good enough or someting, then that will definetly show in your demeanor.

That said, I've had TERRIBLE experiences shopping here in Hawaii. From Wal-Mart to Prada, bottomline I think we have the absolute worst staff of anywhere I have ever been. In a lace where Aloha is supposed to reign supreme, I've come across more unfriendly, rude, condescending sales associates than anyplace else. I shopped on Rodeo at 15 and have had better service.

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jul 31 2004, 07:17 PM
Anything but what? :huh:

boy·cott ( P ) Pronunciation Key (boikt)
tr.v. boy·cott·ed, boy·cott·ing, boy·cotts
To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion. See Synonyms at blackball.

n.
The act or an instance of boycotting.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=boycott
[snapback]319594[/snapback]​

Ever heard of Captain Charles C. Boycott?

I wonder if it would be a good idea for consumers to write to the corporate headquarters of a particular brand and complain about poor treatment in their shops and how it discourages them from making purchases. Perhaps this would cause upper management to make some changes... :ninja:

I've never really had a bad experience with SA.

When visiting my boyfriend i purchased a prada handbag, the sales assistant was the loveliest man very polite attentive and helpful...i came back 2-3 months later to the store and he remembered me, it made me feel good to think that a Sa remembered me from last time i visted.

Occationally you get a rather snobby SA, but if it bothers you see another assistant or ignore and just get on with your shopping, you shouldn't feel out of place if an SA comes across that way, not all Sa's are like that at all, i know i work in retail. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->