GOSSIP:Marissa Jaret Winokur Humiliated At Gucci

Before i had connections with sales people in NJ/NY they all thought i was Candian trash :rolleyes: I wouldnt say that they were mean but...they didnt spend anytime helping me b/c they thought i wouldnt buy anything. But there are a select few who were nice to me from the beginning & are happy that they were b/c i am a pretty good customer now. B)

A intresting story,

When my son was about six he accidently tripped in Gucci while i was looking at handbags. He felt horrible about it & thought that the salespeople wouldnt like him anymore :blush: . They were great about it...they took him to the shoe section & brought out some water for him. I just thought it was funny that he was so aware of how some salespeople are slightly mean at such a young age.

also, he still complains to me on how some of the salespeople at Neiman's follow him like a hawk as if he would steal something :rolleyes:

Yeah, I work in retail (for about 3 yrs now) and I've noticed that the my other coworkers only serve ppl who look rich and skinny. I serve everyone, and it bothers me that more salespeople will serve me if I am dressed up, than if I were casually dressed.

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jun 7th, 2004 - 1:43 am
Being a retail sales person is one step above being a waiter. There is no glamour in serving people and having to do what they ask you to do.

I once went on a walk dressed in yoga pants, trainers and a hoodie in NYC. I stopped inside Gucci to check out the new purse I wanted. None of the sales people even looked at me. I then turned to the snottiest looking one pointed at the purse I wanted and said

"I hope it won’t be too much trouble for you to lift a little finger and wrap that purse up for me"

Then when she asked me if I'd be interested in looking at anything else I said “Nah I wouldn't want you to put forth too much effort… it didn't seem like you wanted to help me in the first place"

She looked mad when I said that but she still put on her fake smile :lol:
that's funny :lol: I'm glad you were able to handle them. My mother and I recently went shopping, and like you, we'd been out at a swim meet so we weren't exactly dressed beautifully.

We were going to look at watches in Gucci for my graduation present. We weren't given any sort of service most likely because they thought we were just going to gawk and not do any serious buying.

My mom finally got a salesperson's attention, asking to see if I could try on the watch. The salesperson was less than helpful...and seemed agitated because she was certain we weren't buying.

Mom said, "Ok...this is the one she wants." The girl didn't help me size it, nor did she ask if I needed to see a different size. She just stared at us, waiting for me to give it back.

She perked up after that...asking if that was the right size or if I wanted to see another color.

I really hate it that you have to look like you have money to get good service, sometimes...

I went to Saks a few years back and went to try on a gown in the upstairs department for a function I had to attend. I was treated so terribly... I didn't buy anything there that day, and refuse to do so at any store that treats me that way. That same day I went to Neiman Marcus and bought a gorgeous gown to wear, and called and left a positive message to the management about my sales clerk. Then I left a negative message for Saks. I feel that positive reinforcement is just as important as negative, something that most people don't do, everyone is always willing to complain, but not to praise.

Exemplary service deserves rewards.

Now that was in California, here in Hawaii, its a completely different story. Being a caucasian local that shops a lot in NM, I get amazing service there, but if I go out of my normal stomping grounds, say to the Waikiki boardwalk... its as though I am invisible. However, the japanese tourists are treated with open arms. The Japanese tourist industry runs about 85% of the industry here, so its understandable, but not forgivable.

I usually don't really ask for assistance from anyone whenever I'm on a store, I prefer going through the racks, taking my time. But I always, always appreciate it whenever someone would come up to me and ask if I needed help. If they have a comments card or an email or whatever, I'd make sure I put something in it - I can be very praising even with something that I think is expected like greeting a customer and asking if they need help - telling the manager or whoever's in charge that a good deal of stores forget the small things such as this and that I'm glad they haven't.

But I snap rather easily on circumstances that warrants the opposite. I probably would have did the same thing as CelineChic if I was on the same situation - especially if it's on a high-end store. If stores like Hot Topic and Express (where I would always get greeted on) have no problems making customers feel accomodated, what more in their case?

today i dealt with some rude and inattentive salespeople at manolo blahnik...after 15 minutes of essentially being ignored...i left the store and will never return...then i went to bergdorf goodman and happily spent my money there...where i had excellent service...

i will never step foot in manolo blahnik again...and i will urge everyone i know to do the same...
louboutin is so much better anyway and they're so nice in there... :P :wink:

:flower:

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jun 7th, 2004 - 2:26 am
If I were Miss Marissa Jaret Winokur I'd simply turn to the the sales people and say

"While you're making you're crap 7$ an hour salary you should be kissing my *** for the commission you get when I purchase a dress from you that most likely cost more than your rat hole you call an apartment"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats f**king hilarious!!!!!

I just had a girl give me the hairy eye for telling her I wanted plastic, not paper at Central Market! She didn't even ask before bagging my stuff and slammed everything as she switched the items into new bags. Apparently you don't need to work for comission to have a crappy attitude. :rolleyes:

Tell me about the SA's...
I've had several experiences of being ignored in upscale stores... and I really wonder why they behave like that.
I'm sure they actually lose a lot of customers because of their behaviour.
In my opinion, EVERYONE should be treated as if they were going to spend a few grand.. it makes the customer feel better and best of all, they'll probably return.

I remembered when i was 16 walking into Jean-Paul Gaultier in Singapore... Remember i was 16 then... all pimply faced, overweight and akward... Not only did the Store manager made me feel at home, she made sure i was comfortable and relaxed... She was extremely patient and gave me lots of personal space to shop ard... when i was prepared to pay for my stuff, she even gave me a discount!!!! I will NEVER EVER forget that experience...

Whereas i have a friend who works in Louis Vuitton and whenever we meet up, he would complain to me how some customers would constantly ask to see products but don't buy.

I know he'd size them up before even serving them... I would always give him a piece of my mine...

I always tell him maybe he shouldn't be in sales if he show attitudes like that and maybe he should be Simon Cowell if all he want to do is to look smug and throw judging glances...

Good thing he knows i do this out of concern for him and not trying to b*tch the hell out of him...

Anyway... Most of the time i'd prefer to be left alone to go thru the racks... When i went to the Donna Karen's flagship store in NYC (in shabby clothes), the sales would come up to me with a big smile and a "How are you doing?" and tell me the new items are on the racks and if i need anything she'll just be at the corner...

Originally posted by h_bazaar@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:43 pm
I remembered when i was 16 walking into Jean-Paul Gaultier in Singapore... Remember i was 16 then... all pimply faced, overweight and akward... Not only did the Store manager made me feel at home, she made sure i was comfortable and relaxed... She was extremely patient and gave me lots of personal space to shop ard... when i was prepared to pay for my stuff, she even gave me a discount!!!! I will NEVER EVER forget that experience...

Good to hear. :wub:

Update on this story:

FWD
Winokur's Love Affair with Tahari

July 07, 2004

“It was so blown out of proportion,” confessed Marissa Jaret
Winokur of the nasty snub she recently received in a snooty shop in Beverly Hills.

Long story short, she was searching for a glam gown for the Tony Awards and the sales clerk clearly didn’t recognize the Broadway babe and made a snide crack about Winokur’s plus-size dress size.

But at Wednesday night’s New Line champagne bash at Sigerson Morrison, a trendy LA shoe store, Winokur admitted she hasn’t gone back for more abuse.

“My boyfriend had to go return something on Rodeo Drive and I was like, ‘I’m not getting out of the car!’” I actually had a panic attack! I was thinking, ‘What if they’re mean to me?’”

The perky plus-size performer is recognized all over New York, thanks to her award-winning role in “Hairspray.” “I was just shopping on 5th Avenue at Henri Bendel’s and Bergdorf Goodman’s and they were like, ‘Whatever you need!’”

But Winokur has found everything she needs at Elie Tahari. She gushed about buying out Tahari’s entire line at a Palm Springs outlet. “Half my wardrobe is Tahari now. I don’t even know if (the designer) is a man or a woman! I literally bought everything. But it was a great deal!”

And great service. “I always get recognized at outlet stores!” says Winokur. “That and Disneyland. Those are my demographics! They’ve all seen “Beautiful Girl” (the Disney Channel movie)!”

Winokur is psyched about her new self-penned movie project, “Always a Bridesmaid,” at New Line. “I’m like Judy Garland in her MGM period. The poster will be me in an awful bridesmaid’s dress, looking up at a hot guy! What woman wouldn’t go see that? I think people are willing to see someone normal like me, not Renee Zellweger gaining 20 pounds.”

No leading man has been cast. But she’s got some ideas. “I love Michael Vartan. “I had a tiny scene with him in “Never Been Kissed” and I’ve loved him ever since!”

Somebody better warn Jennifer Garner, Vartan’s “Alias” onscreen/offscreen love.

today i dealt with some rude and inattentive salespeople at manolo blahnik...after 15 minutes of essentially being ignored...i left the store and will never return...then i went to bergdorf goodman and happily spent my money there...where i had excellent service...

i will never step foot in manolo blahnik again...and i will urge everyone i know to do the same...
louboutin is so much better anyway and they're so nice in there...

The Prada store on Madison Ave. has some pretty rude employee's in it as well...I walked around the store browsing and not one word was said to me, but the women that just entered the floor was quickly greeted and shown to the racks with 60% off...I had enough at that point and sharply pulled the saleswomen and her manager aside for a quick 'chat' :innocent:

For the ones who think that boycotting the store because of rude treatment really isn't a smart idea.

Someone previously said (I believe Softgrey) "You're money is power" and "withholding purchases in that store is the best way to show power".

That makes no sense. You're depriving yourself of the purse, jeans, or hat that you want to buy. They'll have hundreds of other people buying their pieces.

In the end you're the one who's lost out. They lose very little. One customer wont make much of a difference in a sales persons job because in the end they still get a paycheck and you DON"T have the item you wanted.

Why the hell should they get away with it? I think the best thing to do is show them how wrong they are by simply purchasing the item.

I've also thought of telling the sales person that she was no help and that she shouldn't take commission for the sale. If she were to disagree then I'd call over the manager. B)

"Boycotting" the store and saying "Oh this other store is better anyway" or "oh now they will lose money because I wont shop there anymore" is an EXCUSE for defeat.

In life you have to take situations by the balls and take action. Boycotting is so passive and really does nothing unless you're Gandhi and you have as many followers as he did.

The most effective thing to do is contact the store manager. They are the ones doing the hiring and firing and they are responsible for the conduct of their sales associates. This is far more classy way of taking action than making a scene and telling off the salesperson.

Not all salespeople are total b*tches, and it is stressful, irritating and thankless work at times, and customers treat US like crap too. Try not to be so quick to judge people, everyone is going through their own sh*t.

I agree I hate the bitchy sales assistants you find in designer stores, but sometimes I come across bitchy ones in ordinary shops too! :unsure:
It has put me off from shopping in certain places and a lot of the time I prefer to shop online...far less hassle!!

lol it's so stupid that it's funny, aren't they supposed to SELL their product not be mean to people who are gonna give them bad rep :blink:

I'm totally shocked at this, in my experience salespeople in designer boutiques and high-end department stores are always curtious, if not downright nice compared to salespeople in other stores.

It makes me sick to think that salespeople would act that way for two reasons, 1) who cares what someone weighs or looks like, they want to buy something, you help them in a pleasent manor and 2) it's a horrible representation of the company they're working for and as far as I'm concerned if an employee is bad for buisness, they should be let go.

you're right spike...they SHOULD be let go...they are not doing their job properly...

did i ever tell you about the time i got this girl fired... :angel: :innocent:

Originally posted by CelineChic@Jul 31 2004, 08:56 AM
Boycotting is so passive and really does nothing unless you're Gandhi and you have as many followers as he did.
[snapback]319046[/snapback]​

If you knew how the word came about, you'd know it can be anything but :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->