Grimes

Discussion in 'the Art of Noise' started by Srdjan, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I was searching the forum, and there is nothing about Grimes. :(

I discovered her maybe a month ago and I fell in love with her music. She has a new album, but I prefer the older songs.

Any Grimes lovers here wanting to discuss? :blush:

2. Pricciao

Pricciao Active Member

I love Grimes! her "avi" is such an enchanting song, I heard it two years ago, but now it still is one of my top ten favorite. Grimes' haunting-like voice is so soft that I never get tired listening to her songs.

3. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Yes, Avi is a nice song.
    My personal favourite favourites are: Crystal Ball, Dream Fortress, My Sister Says The Saddest Things, Sagrad and Vanessa.

You are right, songs are enchanting, music is magical...Calms me down and throws me into a different universe <3

4. mademoiselle_

mademoiselle_ New Member

I just heard "Visions" entirely and I loved it! quickly became one of my fave albums of 2012 so far, it's one step above Lana's "Born to die" yep! but I'm sure she will remain underground for a little while maybe always

5. Toccata

Toccata Member

Her new album is getting really good reviews. ^_^

Love this picture:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.4ad.com/

Love this performance:

6. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

I love her! Don't really care for her appearance and quick style changes BUT she's truly weird punk rock on the inside and makes unique music with a super cute voice (especially with her lisp!!)

7. jmrmartinho

jmrmartinho Active Member

[​IMG]
    style frizz

Im kind of obcessed by her. Shes so cool!
    Oblivion is my favourite song right now.

8. ChrissyM

ChrissyM girl who fell to earth

I only recently discovered her through Spotify but I like her!
    Oblivion is great, but Genesis is the first of her songs that I heard that really drew me in ^_^

9. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

i've kind of been bewitched now. there's actually something very cocteau twins meets cocorosie about her sound that i'm taken with.

10. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Gotta love Grimes. Who's getting the Dazed & C? I surely am.

11. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

What are your favorite songs from Visions? I'm completely in love with Circumambient, Skin and Nightmusic.

I'm going to see her in this Saturday! The tickets sold out awfully fast... I'm glad she's getting more and more popular.

12. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

I love Vowels - Space and Time. Also Genesis (even though first I didn't like it)..Also I love the Oblivion.

Make sure to write your impressions after Saturday. I was watching some youtube videos of her performing live, and I must say she isn't that type of musician who should perform live. Her music is heaven-made, something that makes one feel so nice. Still, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see her live. I hope you understood me :)

13. katdavis

katdavis New Member

14. ChrissyM

ChrissyM girl who fell to earth

Let us know how she is in concert! I have a feeling she'll be good ^_^

15. chloesaab

chloesaab Active Member

Photographer Hedi Slimane
    Stylist Robbie Spencer
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Facebook/Intrepid London via bilQuis

16. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Hope you're having a great time right now! :heart: :bounce:.. I have to say, I didn't know much about her and wasn't that interested on the 'hype' but seeing you posting here made me want to find out and I've been hooked for weeks now, Colour of Music and Nightmusic are probably my favorites from Visions, and I love Darkbloom.

I got a similar impression as Srdjan while watching her vids, I feel like her live performances must be awesome (still naively wishing she makes a surprising appearance at Coachella!) but she seems to have trouble doing such extreme multitasking, which kind of breaks the mood at moments, I feel like she could benefit from some support.. I can't figure out how she'd do that though. :lol:

17. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

It's currently past 1 am... I just got back! Didn't go to the afterparty because I'm working tomorrow :lol: but still have time for the fashion spot OBVIOUSLY.

I had a really great time and wish her set lasted longer. It felt so short! I think she had only played 5 or 6 songs (Vanessa, Oblivion, Be A Body, Nightmusic, others I can't remember right now) with an elaborate intro and ending. The audience was very dance-y and singing along the the songs! Especially the Ooh-Oohs and La-la-las.

She sometimes had 2 or 3 of the supporting band's members to help her on stage so there weren't many twitches and her singing was especially great... it has really improved from her early performances that I saw on youtube of a few years ago. One thing I didn't like is how different some of her songs sounded. She'd sometimes have long interludes and come back to how the song sounds on the album. It was funny to notice a few heads nodding at the wrong beat because the songs were so warped. I guess I'm too boring, because I like hearing songs live how they appear on the album, but better and louder!

Oh yeah, and Nightmusic is AMAZING live!!!

18. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

Oh yeah and she wears Arielle de Pinto and a lot of Renata Morales, which are two awesome Montreal designers, so I have even more respect for her.

19. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had an awesome time! :heart: :bounce:.. thanks for sharing that!, I get so dance-y with Nightmusic, I can only imagine how it must sound live, gah, I'm so pissed she played near here just around the time I found out about her (feel like such a loser when that happens!).. someone better squeeze her into Coachella's lineup, I checked her tour dates and looks like she's got April off. :angel::lol:

Ah, I knew about Renata Morales but not about Arielle de Pinto.. I love her, reminds me so much of good ol' Spacemiu (I think he was working with her or something like that? Scott might know).. not surprised to see her 'smooth' entrance into fashion then (e.g. the Dazed cover).

20. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

she wears arielle....i like her even more now! :heart:

yeah i'm not sure how they knew one another space and arielle but i'm assuming they sort of ran in the same fashion circles in NY.....and he was a big fan of her when he was posting here.