Gucci Dans Les Rues
Creative Director: Christopher Simmonds
Photographer/Director: Glen Luchford
Hair: Paul Hanlon
Makeup: Yadim Carranza
Music: “Crispy Bacon” – Laurent Garnier
Composer: Laurent Garnier

theimpression

There is something very cynical and dire about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean who has been able to top them as far as advertising goes as of late. So good

All of these young people dressed up in expensive consumer goods protesting...something. How very chic.

Whenever a fashion house uses "activism" as some sort of inspiration to promote their brand, I can't help but reject it on sight and on principle. Have we learned nothing from the Chanel S/S 2015 catwalk show? Stay in your lane, Gucci.

All of these young people dressed up in expensive consumer goods protesting...something. How very chic.

Whenever a fashion house uses "activism" as some sort of inspiration to promote their brand, I can't help but reject it on sight and on principle. Have we learned nothing from the Chanel S/S 2015 catwalk show? Stay in your lane, Gucci.

Agreed. :rolleyes: No thanks.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I mean, if they were actually protesting about something going on in the world... but fashion seems fixated on the idea of protesting, and protesting without something to protest about is just... empty and tone-deaf. If you can't have the courage to actually take a stand and lampshade wha luxury fashion actually means in the grand scheme of things, why even try?

Luchford is back in top form! :heart:
The two shots look promising, and for once I'm in agreement that they should be in b&w. The video is much more impactful and very cinematic. Love the blonde dashing past the crowds in that blue jacket and red shots. Another winner for Gucci, and it's only their pre-fall collection!

This campaign is obviously based on the student protests of 1968 by the looks of it. Stack it next to Karl's bourgeoisie runway presentation which looked very stiff and forced, and Moschino x Meisel's FW 16/17 'fasshunn' anarchy laced with ANTM glamour and it's oh-so-strategic fierce pouts and poses, and it comes up smiling. It's not just storytelling, the grittiness and Luchford's masterful cinematic qualities captures not only that zeitgeist perfectly, but also ours.

Gucci is giving us what we should be getting from magazines such as VI. Commentary, but translated by professionals.

Luchford is back in top form! :heart:
The two shots look promising, and for once I'm in agreement that they should be in b&w. The video is much more impactful and very cinematic. Love the blonde dashing past the crowds in that blue jacket and red shots. Another winner for Gucci, and it's only their pre-fall collection!

This campaign is obviously based on the student protests of 1968 by the looks of it. Stack it next to Karl's bourgeoisie runway presentation which looked very stiff and forced, and Moschino x Meisel's FW 16/17 'fasshunn' anarchy laced with ANTM glamour and it's oh-so-strategic fierce pouts and poses, and it comes up smiling. It's not just storytelling, the grittiness and Luchford's masterful cinematic qualities captures not only that zeitgeist perfectly, but also ours.

Gucci is giving us what we should be getting from magazines such as VI. Commentary, but translated by professionals.

Exactly. 3 snaps in a circle. :heart:

The only thing Gucci does for me is make me wonder what's going to happen to the Chanel brand when Karl is gone.

The people in this ad seem so insufferable to me.

Compared to their other campaigns (which are fantastic) this one is okay however I think Gucci is a brand that really needs colour in their advertising. The clothes are meant to be fun and exciting but these black and white images are doing them no justice at all.

From pure face value, the pictures are gorgeous. The black & white actually added a cinematic and documentary-like glow to them. But like others have said... I simply cannot accept fashion using very serious and real things like political protests as a "theme" for something as trivial as an ad campaign for expensive clothes. It's beyond tone deaf and stupid, especially in this day and age.

Thank you. It is so cynical and misses the point of what people were protesting about. No one was or is marching in the streets for the right to wear a gaudy thousand dollar embroidered bomber jacket. It's completely tone deaf.

If fashion can no longer pay tribute to an art form because they made the 'criminal' mistake of dressing a commoner (model!) in pointe shoes, can no longer glorify an ethnic group or subculture because it's insensitive, or can no longer reference a social movement because it's apparently disingenuous, what will be left? How will it survive?

Fashion can (and does) do whatever it wants, but people get also get to state their opinions about those choices which everyone has done here very respectfully. Gucci didn't create this in a vacuum, I'm sure they can handle a couple of very measured critiques.

If fashion can no longer pay tribute to an art form because they made the 'criminal' mistake of dressing a commoner (model!) in pointe shoes, can no longer glorify an ethnic group or subculture because it's insensitive, or can no longer reference a social movement because it's apparently disingenuous, what will be left? How will it survive?

Why are those things vital to fashion anyway? I'm pretty fashion can survive (and has survived) by not using tribal people as props, meaningful cultures as style and social protests as theme. If not then we really need to pause and rethink the point of this whole thing.

Fashion can (and does) do whatever it wants, but people get also get to state their opinions about those choices which everyone has done here very respectfully. Gucci didn't create this in a vacuum, I'm sure they can handle a couple of very measured critiques.
^Exactly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheetz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"