Hard Water...

Fabulyss

Reaction score
After a summer home from college I've discovered just how damaging the hard water in my apartment in Chicago is. I know there is nothing I can do about the water, but I'm curious if there are any shampoos/conditioners specially formulated to protect against it?

Thanks!

You should definitely get a shower filter.

Use a filter, or be a filter.

Also Aubrey Organics hair care is amazing. You can find it at Whole Foods.

Thanks for starting this topic. I live in South London which has notoriously hard water and it made my hair so nasty. What I'm using now is Paul Mitchell Two Day shampoo which is made for washing your hair every other day and i've found that it has helped quite a bit. I don't know where one would get a filter or how to install it...

^Thank you both for your suggestions. About the filter, is that something I can do myself, some sort of shower attachment? Because if not it would be up to my landlord to install something into the main water line, which he would not do.

The best filters are - Aquasana or Rainshow'r in that order. I have determined that with the rainshow'r filter you will have to change the filter more frequently but it's still a great filter. Also, rainshow'r is one of the few companies that also makes a filter for the bath, which is nice if you decide you want to soak for a bit. Check ebay for some of the best prices on aquasana as it can be a bit more expensive. Also, with rainshow'r you'll have to search around for the best price but either one you can't go wrong with.

There are other shower filters around as well, just make sure to do some research before purchasing one. You really do get what you pay for.

You can install the filter by yourself. It is very simple! You can detach it whenever you need to as well. Using a filter is not only excellent for your hair and skin, but also crucial in maintaining/ attaining good health.

I have the same problem, I've only been able to find water filters at health food stores. I however, do not know the brand- sorry! But you might want to check at your local health food store.

The only shampoo that's been effective for me in my hard water is Kerastase. I normally love using Kiehl's all-sport shampoo since I shampoo so frequently but I find it doesn't lather up as well because of the hard water.

I have the same issue with my apt - an 100 year old building with OLD pipes and hard water. I use about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and about 1/2 gal of water as a final rinse. Leave it on for about 3 minutes and rinse out. It really makes my hair soft.

I need to look into filters also. I filter my drinking/cooking water, but I need to filter my shower water too.

You can order filters online.

Your skin absorbs around 3 litres of chlorine and other toxic chemicals a day if you don't use a filter.

baRose said:
I have the same issue with my apt - an 100 year old building with OLD pipes and hard water. I use about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and about 1/2 gal of water as a final rinse. Leave it on for about 3 minutes and rinse out. It really makes my hair soft.

I need to look into filters also. I filter my drinking/cooking water, but I need to filter my shower water too.

Do you use this everday or once a week or?

^^^

No more than once a week. Usually just every two weeks. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
modeket
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->