Sulfate free shampoos?

OK actually thought I would save myself some time and have a quick look on Boots.com. The Naked range is free from Sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens and petrochemicals. The reviews sound good and its cheap so I think I'll try this range. Anyone else tried it?

^ I had no idea they even made shampoo!

I was just reading about this brand called David Babaii Wildaid. He's a celebrity stylist that got together with Kate Hudson and made a cruelty free, sulfates,parabens,petrochemical free line that gives 10% to saving endangered animals. I've been having a hard time finding reviews but the ones I do seem to rave about the products and it's only like $10 a bottle.
I think I'm going to pick some up when my bottle of avalon lavender shampoo is done!

I think I have had one before years ago. I just remember that it smelt like cinnamon and didnt lather, obviously this must have been because it was free for sulfates? I will give it another go. The reviews all said they needed to wash their hair less which I try to do anyway.

I've been using Daniel Galvin Junior natural shampoos for past couple of years sporadically, and they're pretty good. I like the honey dew melon one best, yummy smell. Completely natural too. You can buy them in Waitrose and other supermarkets in the UK as well.
dgj-melon-hair-juice-shampoo-1.jpg

chichina, please post a source for your image or it will be deleted.

i tried l'oreal's everpure shampoo and conditioner. i thought it left a film on my hair. i wasnt crazy about it.

I love Jason shampoo's and conditioners, my favourite is the apricot one but the lavender and vitamin e ones are nice too. I found that the biotin left my hair dry though.

giovanni, desert essence organics, aubrey's, john masters organics to name a few.
i've tried a few and you really just have to search around for what works best for your hair. also sometimes it takes a couple of weeks, an "adjustment period" of sorts for your hair to switch over to the natural shampoos, and respond well to them. i don't know if that's really true, but when i originally started using sulfate-free, natural shampoos my hair took a good two weeks before i was happy with the results i was getting . . . overall, it's been about 5 months for me since i switched and i feel my hair is healthier, stronger, and it's not falling out nearly as much. big plus for me.

the only thing i've had trouble with is that i don't know if they clean QUITE as well as a sulfate based shampoo. my hair was oily to begin with, but now it's very difficult to go more than a day, if at all, without shampooing my hair. i also have to wash, rinse, repeat which i never had to do with my old shampoos (kind of annoying as well bc of the cost of a natural shampoo vs drugstore). it's a small price to pay, though, and i've gotten the suggestion of using a tea tree oil shampoo every so often to treat the oily scalp, as well as doing an apple cider vinegar rinse. i haven't actually tried any of these treatments yet, but i'm hoping they will help. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
in the miso soup:
I have been noticing the same thing! I've always had oily hair but it seems that the natural shampoos are making it very hard to go more than a day without being a greasy mess. I've been debating getting a bottle of matrix biolage Oil Control Treatment. It's this stuff you spray on your scalp like a dry shampoo but it's a "refreshing mist that minimizes the effects of oily scalp and hair. This treatment purifies the scalp of excess oil and impurities." according to the website.

that sounds interesting, but i'm unfamiliar with the brand, and they don't list ingredients of their products on their website . . . i've switched to natural products for a reason, in almost all of my body care and beauty products. so, it may not be perfect, but i'm making it work & i really believe in it. thanks for the suggestion, though. :smile: i'm going to try the acv rinse sometime next week--i'll let everyone know how it works.

^I'm pretty sure the brand isn't all natural, I believe they use both natural ingredients with not so natural. I couldn't find the ingredients online either, I was reading them off the bottle at Ulta the other day but didn't recognize anything other than the natural oils that are included......I asked one of the girls working at the salon but she didn't have any experience with it and recommended Paul Mitchell's tea tree shampoo but that has a ton of sulfates so it's a no go. I may wait until ulta has one of those buy one get one free deals because I have to pick up some conditioning balm :P
But the tip to wash hair, rinse and repeat has really helped a lot! My hair isn't a greaseball the next day anymore.

glad to hear that worked for you, too!!! :smile: it's still not ideal, but the hair definitely feels better at the end of a day or so than the first few weeks before i did that.

i might give that product a try then. still haven't tried the apple cider vinegar rinse, i was reading comments about it making your hair smell and uhm . . . i just didn't want to deal with that so i decided to try the tto shampoo. i bought one by avalon organics, the "tea tree and mint treatment," and i've used it once or twice a week for the past three weeks. is it helping?? i don't know. not enough to make me swear by it. the first time i used it, however, my hair looked sooo healthy, full, bouncy, shiny, etc. i thought i had found my HG!!! :smile: that didn't last, though. and i don't think my hair is any less oily after a day goes by. on to the next product after it runs out.

^I also find what helps to keep my hair from getting to oily is to only put conditioner on the ends, like from my chin area down. It also keeps my fine hair from being weighed down :P

I use Burt Bee's Shampoos and Conditioners. They've always been sulfate free.

Alba, Avalon Organics, Organix(cheapest) and Carol's Daughter is also good.

You can try Organix. They are both affordable and can be found in Target, Walmart and Drug stores.

Burt's Bees can be found in Target.
^I'm pretty sure the brand isn't all natural, I believe they use both natural ingredients with not so natural. I couldn't find the ingredients online either, I was reading them off the bottle at Ulta the other day but didn't recognize anything other than the natural oils that are included......I asked one of the girls working at the salon but she didn't have any experience with it and recommended Paul Mitchell's tea tree shampoo but that has a ton of sulfates so it's a no go. I may wait until ulta has one of those buy one get one free deals because I have to pick up some conditioning balm :P
But the tip to wash hair, rinse and repeat has really helped a lot! My hair isn't a greaseball the next day anymore.

Anybody knows if "The body shop" shampoos are sulfate free??
It'sreally hard for me find a sulfate free brand in Spain!!:doh:

^ i'll keep my search then... :( I found Lush wasn't either a good choice
:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->