Haute Couture Clients

the dress i ordered from elie saab HC ended up being on alot of other ppl after me, including some celebs...which is wrong i think..
i think HC should be made to order- and as liashoes said, tailored to every person

the dress i ordered from elie saab HC ended up being on alot of other ppl after me, including some celebs...which is wrong i think..
i think HC should be made to order- and as liashoes said, tailored to every person

yeah that kind of cheapens it...if you're buying couture it should be something one of kind and special for YOU, not a lot of other people.

In that documentary on youtube it says that if a woman can fit the sample sizes off the runway they get the clothes for 30% off...but I'm guessing most women don't take the outfits off the runway as they appear...they make their own changes. So I guess some make changes to make it more unique and some just keep it the way it is.

Susan Gutfreund, wife of "King of Wall Street" John Gutfreund!!!!:woot::heart: Man I'm so excited. John Gutfreund is legendary and gee I wish I could work under him...or become as successful one day. :blush:

^Well the problem with one-of-a-kind is, how are the designers going to decide which women gets the dress?

yeah that kind of cheapens it...if you're buying couture it should be something one of kind and special for YOU, not a lot of other people.

In that documentary on youtube it says that if a woman can fit the sample sizes off the runway they get the clothes for 30% off...but I'm guessing most women don't take the outfits off the runway as they appear...they make their own changes. So I guess some make changes to make it more unique and some just keep it the way it is.

I was just joking to my husband that I should go because I can get 30% discount. :lol:

karl has made a friend of mine some pieces of couture menswear
i am dying to see when they arrive next week :shock:

I don`t get that. I thought one of the requirements to be member of the Fédération was that every dress is made to order in at least three fittings. So how can they buy it off the runway and not have it made to measure?

I don`t get that. I thought one of the requirements to be member of the Fédération was that every dress is made to order in at least three fittings. So how can they buy it off the runway and not have it made to measure?

If the runway piece does not fit then it is altered to fit. And/or it is altered in other ways depending on what the client wants---an addition of sleeves, a change in the neckline, a change in the length, etc... The client knows exactly what she/he wants and what works for them.

karl has made a friend of mine some pieces of couture menswear
i am dying to see when they arrive next week :shock:

i am dying that i'll never see them! i wish i'd live until the day i would be able to ask karl to make couture pieces for me:shock::shock::shock:

^Couture is absolute made-to-measure..I find that hard to believe that we could find it in any department store other than the house's private showroom...perhaps they were simplified versions or perhaps on loan for display purpose?

Well, if you don't believe me, here's a picture. :lol: It's a tiny image, and I know it's almost impossible to see the resemblance, but what I saw was a dress from the Christian Dior HC S/S 06 show. If I remember correctly, the tag either said it was couture or implied it. This was a year ago, so forgive my memory!

coutureol0.jpg

Style.com, my photo

^Maybe it's a F/W 06 RTW dress? They all closely resembled the couture dresses. And those would make sense to be in that section of a department store because they were, like, $8,000 each, I think. And the dress next to it is Valentino RTW from F/W 06...but...I don't know...

^that makes sense, specially being next to valentino rtw! galliano has this stupid habit of cheapening everything that he does for couture into RTW... if you were a client, wouldnt you hate to see YOUR exclusive dress, available for everybody (well, of course not everybody can afford $8000+ dresses, but just a lot more people)

Is everything one of a kind in a couture collection...like can two people order the same dress...or is it only made for one women once she purchases it?

Ah, I'm glad you asked that question ... ^_^

Yes, two people can order the same dress. I believe in that article a few seasons ago about Susan Casden, she mentioned that she has (negotiates for, demands, read whatever you want into that ...) a West Coast exclusive on the things she buys, something like that. And she is one of the highest-profile HC customers as we all know ...

It's true that you can have the piece customized, but I'm sure some customers feel that what they've seen on the runway is just about perfect in some cases. Other pieces, no one orders.

My guess is that being an established couture buyer in general and at a house in particular helps you get a better exclusive. I don't really see someone coming in to buy their first piece also getting a world-wide exclusive ... perhaps it happens for some customers, but when you think about what the shows cost, and that many houses are not able to recoup those costs, you're asking for quite a lot for one of 45 or so pieces to be made for you only :innocent:

Ah, I'm glad you asked that question ... ^_^

Yes, two people can order the same dress. I believe in that article a few seasons ago about Susan Casden, she mentioned that she has (negotiates for, demands, read whatever you want into that ...) a West Coast exclusive on the things she buys, something like that. And she is one of the highest-profile HC customers as we all know ...

It's true that you can have the piece customized, but I'm sure some customers feel that what they've seen on the runway is just about perfect in some cases. Other pieces, no one orders.

My guess is that being an established couture buyer in general and at a house in particular helps you get a better exclusive. I don't really see someone coming in to buy their first piece also getting a world-wide exclusive ... perhaps it happens for some customers, but when you think about what the shows cost, and that many houses are not able to recoup those costs, you're asking for quite a lot for one of 45 or so pieces to be made for you only :innocent:

Thanks for answering! I guess most of these women are never in danger of wearing the same dress to an event anyway or have to worry about an actress wearing it on a red carpet before they do.

I would think they get exclusive rights in that sense, like once they purchase it, someone can't come to the couture house and ask for it on loan to an event like The Oscars. Cause a client has already purchased it and someone like Angelina Jolie isn't buying it.

^ I imagine there is some kind of etiquette there ... as mentioned in the article, they get $$$$ from their real customers, but publicity from Hollywood. If I were buying HC :P :wink:, I would make sure to discuss all this upfront ...

Of course, Susan Casden's exclusive would include LA & Hollywood ... but not NY premieres & events.

To the untrained eye, there's little difference between a four-figure Pucci dress bought off the rack at Barney’s and a $150,000 Christian Dior ball gown. But for haute couture’s core clients there is a big difference. At society events such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art's annual Costume Institute Gala, or at lavish weddings in Riyadh, you'll see wealthy women flaunting both styles. But, when a socialite wears couture it means she's really serious about fashion and has the lifestyle to support it.

oh really.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleO
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->