Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

Replacing Hedi at Celine will probably do more harm than good. Like Philo, Hedi's has his own "cult" and I'm not sure if Celine could handle another switch like that in less than a decade. Not to mention that his successor will probbably have to carefully mimic his aesthetic to retain that customer base Hedi rebuilt.

Hedi at Chanel could work under the condition that he knows when to reign in his urge to change everything. Chanel's main issue lies in their lackluster product quality. Outside of that, Chanel only really needs to lightly dusted off with minor adjustements, which mainly consists to moving the brand past the myth of Chanel/Lagerfeld. The store concepts and product ranges need to be left alone

I love his personality. I love his obsessions. And he seems beyond intelligent, a kind of KL 2.0, even if they have a different approach to things.

The only designers whose speech is interesting: Hedi, KL, Tom and Phoebe. The rest can have more or less talent for fashion, but are not intelligent imo.

BY

Dominique Muret
PUBLISHED
Apr 24, 2024

Celine: Is Hedi Slimane on his way out?​

If the news were to be confirmed, it would be a bombshell in the small world of fashion. After six years of loyal service at the helm of style at Celine, the luxury house owned by LVMH, Hedi Slimane is reportedly on the point of leaving. For the moment, there has been no official confirmation of this. But speculation has been rife for some weeks now.

Hedi Slimane - DR

The designer's contract, which is up for renewal at the start of the year -Hedi Slimane started at Celine in January 2018-, is said to be the subject of bitter discussions. According to Business of Fashion, no agreement has yet been reached. According to the American newspaper WWD, LVMH has already found a successor for the French designer in Michael Rider, the current creative director of Polo Ralph Lauren.

For the American, it would be a return to Celine, since he worked for the house for ten years alongside Phoebe Philo. He left in 2018 when Hedi Slimane arrived. This hypothesis may come as a surprise, given that Hedi Slimane has radically changed Celine's style in recent years, moving completely away from the timeless minimalist spirit of his predecessor. But Michael Rider isn't the only one in the running.

The group does not publish Celine's results. According to some sources, sales at the label headed by Séverine Merle have risen from €500 million in 2017 to between €2.5 and €3 billion today. Although Hedi Slimane's sexy rock style was heavily criticised at his first shows, he has since made amends and fulfilled his contract. The Parisian bobo chic spirit that he infused into his collections managed to seduce buyers once again, while rejuvenating the clientele with pieces that were both easy and desirable, such as jeans.

The designer has reworked the brand's visual identity from top to bottom, from the logo to the name, depriving Celine of its accent, via social networks and advertising campaigns, most of which were shot directly by him. He has also redesigned the layout of stores, while the number of openings has increased, as has the number of new hires. Above all, he broadened the offer by launching Celine's very first men's line, which immediately attracted retailers, delighted to find Hedi Slimane's menswear, which has always been his strong point.

To elevate Celine's image to the very top end of the market and expand its range, a "haute parfumerie" collection and a "haute maroquinerie" line were also launched, with the designer's craftsmanship going hand in hand with his creative vision. But it would seem that over the last few seasons, it has just not been enough. The range has tended to lack renewal, and the leather goods category has not produced the expected results. The brand has also chosen not to take part in fashion shows, continuing to unveil its collections through videos, which now seem less attractive than physical events.

Finally, Hedi Slimane was often seen as a star designer who was difficult to manage, and who had difficulty communicating with the other teams. This was already partly the cause of his departure from Saint Laurent. A divorce from Celine therefore seems quite likely. In the meantime, rumours are flying fast about Hedi Slimane's potential new destination. As was the case a few years ago, there is renewed speculation that the couturier might move to Chanel.

Copyright © 2024 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.

then people need to stop recreating poor versions of his streetwear
Tisci himself could not even renew/refresh his own old Givenchy era at Burberry it looked dated i agree.
To be fair all streetwear styles from different eras are continually recreated by new brands or creatives trying to take their shot and most is poorly done for various reasons.

Hedi’s Fate & The Arnault Succession Effect​

Rumors that Hedi Slimane will be replaced at Celine could just as easily have been seeded by Hedi as by his bosses.
But don’t discount the rise of Delphine Arnault, the eldest LVMH heir, in determining whatever happens next.

Hedi Slimane

I’m sure Bernard Arnault does have a soft spot for Hedi Slimane, who has made him a lot of money over their on-again, off-again, 20-plus year relationship. Photo: Antonio de Moraes Barros Filho/WireImage

LAUREN SHERMAN
April 25, 2024

On Tuesday, I started getting pings from the most insidery of industry insiders that Michael Rider, who designs the Polo women’s collection at Ralph Lauren, might move to Celine to replace Hedi Slimane, who might have another act ahead of him.
Then, hours later, a story popped up on WWD speculating that Rider—who worked under Phoebe Philo at her Céline before heading to Polo—was at least being considered for the job. (Rider was also speculated to be in the running at the time Philo left, too. The gig went to Hedi instead, a coup for then-LVMH fashion group C.E.O. Sidney Toledano.)

My spies at Ralph Lauren ignored my queries, but it would be a shame for Ralph Lauren to lose Rider, who was originally hired by the great executive Valérie Hermann (she now runs a consumer private equity firm back in France).
Rider has, by all accounts, done quite well at Ralph Lauren, and while that isn’t a company that talks about creative succession—ever—he must be in the back of somebody’s mind.

Look, who knows what the future holds? Things change. Anything can happen.
Insert your favorite hedging cliche here.

https://puck.news/beautycounter-founder-to-relaunch-brand-in-may/
https://puck.news/will-lina-khan-block-the-capri-tapestry-merger/
https://puck.news/rebecca-minkoff-dramatic-comedy/

BOF​

Celine Adds To Fragrance Line-Up​

The new scent, Zouzou, is the fashion house’s first new perfume since 2022.

A woman holding an oversize bottle of perfume.

The new scent joins the existing line-up of 11 perfumes. (Courtesy)
By DANIELA MOROSINI
25 April 2024

Beyond extending into cosmetics, Celine is adding to its fragrance assortment with Zouzou, $280.
With notes of caramel, amber and musk, the scent is inspired by young, fashionable women of the 1960s, with designer Hedi Slimane taking inspiration from the fashion and beauty trends of that era. Its name is derived for the affectionate term used for young girls with short hair, or also to convey fondness.

The fashion house originally launched nine scents in 2019, with two more launching in 2021 and 2022.
In March, LVMH-owned Celine also announced a broader push into beauty with a debut lipstick, Rouge Triomphe, being available in autumn 2024.
A fuller selection is slated to launch in January 2025.

Beauty has been a consistent bright spot for LVMH; in its first-quarter earnings announced last week, its perfume and cosmetics division grew 7 percent.

By
IMRAN AMED
26 April 2024
BoF PROFESSIONAL

The Other Side of Hedi Slimane​

The designer has always been an arch perfectionist, a quality that has been central to his success but which clashes with the demands on creative directors today, writes Imran Amed.

Hedi Slimane portrait | Source: Courtesy

Hedi Slimane, creative, artistic and image director of Celine. (Courtesy)

LONDON — Back in March 2018, I sat down with Hedi Slimane in Los Angeles for a private dinner, just two months after he was appointed creative, artistic and image director of Celine. When I arrived at Craig’s in West Hollywood, Hedi was already there, dressed in his signature skinny tailoring.
This week on BoF, Robert Williams reported that he may be leaving Celine, now the third largest fashion brand at LVMH with around €2.5 billion in revenue, and revealed that one of the sticking points in the “thorny contract negotiations” has been about Hedi’s need for control around communication and his lack of willingness to engage with the fashion media. These characteristics can clash with the demands of the job of a creative director, which increasingly requires a level of openness Hedi has never been comfortable with.

Our rendezvous in Los Angeles was not for a formal interview, just an opportunity to get to know each other. I had never met Hedi before, but he had a reputation of being reclusive and shy. I had been an admirer long before I worked in fashion, from the time when he took the industry by storm at Dior Homme between 2000 and 2007. This was an opportunity to meet one of fashion’s biggest and most elusive stars, the man who popularised the hugely influential and widely copied skinny silhouette, an aesthetic which he remains committed to up until today.

At Dior, Hedi built a devoted fan following — known as the “Slimaniacs” — that is rare for a fashion designer. Even Karl Lagerfeld famously shed his weight so he could fit into Hedi’s slim Dior Homme suits. One of my most treasured wardrobe items from that era is a beautifully cut stone grey peacoat which I bought from Browns on South Molton Street in London. They had a special selection of items in petites tailles, made for small people like me and also for a legion of female fans who wanted the Hedi look: the ultimate in haute bourgeois Parisian chic.

After years of wearing this coat, the wool is fraying a bit, but it is still in good condition. I will never throw it away. Whenever I wear it, I feel strong and confident.
Hedi and I didn’t know each other when we met that night in Los Angeles, but we had a bit of history. Five years after Hedi surprised the fashion world and left Dior Homme, he became creative and image director of Yves Saint Laurent. I had a run-in with the Saint Laurent PR team, who took a heavy-handed approach to control the narrative around Hedi’s rebranding of the historic house. As a result, both the respected fashion critic Cathy Horyn and I were banned from his first Saint Laurent show. Hedi went on to transform Saint Laurent into a billion-dollar business for Kering.

But all of that seemed to be in the past. To be invited to have dinner with Hedi was an olive branch, and an opportunity to get to know a designer I really admired. Over Caesar salad, beef brisket and post-dinner espresso and chamomile tea, we got to know each other as human beings. Throughout our conversation, Hedi was compelling, curious and engaging. We didn’t talk much about fashion, per se. We talked about life in Los Angeles, about recent work BoF had done on topics related to gender identity and disability, about surfing and Donald Trump.

As it was off the record, I can’t share much here, but suffice to say he had lots of questions and so did I. Before we knew it, two and half hours had passed. I left with quite a different impression of Hedi Slimane from the way he was portrayed in the media. I’m sure he is a challenging boss, and that his exacting standards can be exhausting, but it is these same qualities that have contributed to his undeniable success.

Hedi hasn’t done an interview in ages, since BoF contributor Laurence Benaim interviewed him for Le Figaro in 2018. He does have an Instagram account with 371 thousand followers featuring his all black and white photography, but he follows no one and hasn’t posted anything since July 2023. The perfectly architected Celine Instagram account has 7 million followers; it also follows no one. Neither account has comments enabled.

When a designer doesn’t talk, people fill that vacuum with speculation and rumour, and in some ways that can do them a disservice. It hasn’t prevented Hedi from being wildly successful, but it has prevented people from getting to know him in an age when authenticity and transparency are prized attributes, and can even be the engine for business success. For better or worse, consumer-facing fashion shows, social media and cultural marketing that reaches a diverse, global audience have become part of a creative director’s job. None of these have been a priority for Hedi.

Designers like Simon Porte Jacquemus and Jonathan Anderson have built sizable businesses on their ability to engage with fans and customers online. Simon is super engaging in person, and he has an online personality to match. This week, he shared a photo of the twins named Mia and Sun that he and his partner Marco brought into the world, showing their names written on hospital tags in all-caps on their tiny adorable wrists. At the time of writing, that one post has received 738,000 likes on Instagram. You don’t see engagement like that for almost any fashion designer.

As for Jonathan, another one of the industry’s most celebrated designers, who earlier this month was named to the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people, he created his own social media moments this week. Jonathan is perhaps better than any other designer in finding a way to balance high-fashion aesthetics with approachable marketing communications embedded in contemporary culture. He has a knack for creating recognisable fashion items using everyday moments.

Most culture watchers will not have missed the avalanche of coverage and conversation about his turn at costume design for Zendaya’s new film, “Challengers,” out this weekend. I loved the content he shared featuring “I Told Ya” emblazoned on all the film’s stars, including a charming video of Tommy Hackett playing frisbee wearing an “I Told Ya” t-shirt “now available in selected stores and on Loewe.com.” When Jonathan does this, somehow it doesn’t feel like crass marketing, and though he isn’t necessarily opening up about his personal life, he is always finding ways to engage with people.

Being a designer and creative person in fashion is exhausting, and comes with constant scrutiny about one’s work with a cacophony of anonymous people passing judgement on your collections, your ad campaigns and the way you present yourself. I can understand why some designers don’t want to engage in that way, as it can become distracting — and toxic — to constantly manage an online persona, to repeat the same answers to the same questions about where your inspiration comes from over and over, and to have to endure the digital chaos, all while churning out idea after idea, product after product and campaign after campaign.

It’s still not certain that Hedi is leaving Celine, but his departure would be a huge loss for LVMH. There’s no doubt he is an arch perfectionist, and his execution (including this week’s perfume launch and campaign) are always impeccable. But his perfectionism and his approach to communications are not a great fit for the way the fashion world is moving: real-time, digital, raw and open.
I’ll never stop wearing my Dior Homme coat, though. Hedi’s look never goes out of style.

Last edited:
By
IMRAN AMED
26 April 2024
BoF PROFESSIONAL

The Other Side of Hedi Slimane​

The designer has always been an arch perfectionist, a quality that has been central to his success but which clashes with the demands on creative directors today, writes Imran Amed.

Hedi Slimane portrait | Source: Courtesy

Hedi Slimane, creative, artistic and image director of Celine. (Courtesy)

LONDON — Back in March 2018, I sat down with Hedi Slimane in Los Angeles for a private dinner, just two months after he was appointed creative, artistic and image director of Celine. When I arrived at Craig’s in West Hollywood, Hedi was already there, dressed in his signature skinny tailoring.
This week on BoF, Robert Williams reported that he may be leaving Celine, now the third largest fashion brand at LVMH with around €2.5 billion in revenue, and revealed that one of the sticking points in the “thorny contract negotiations” has been about Hedi’s need for control around communication and his lack of willingness to engage with the fashion media. These characteristics can clash with the demands of the job of a creative director, which increasingly requires a level of openness Hedi has never been comfortable with.

Our rendezvous in Los Angeles was not for a formal interview, just an opportunity to get to know each other. I had never met Hedi before, but he had a reputation of being reclusive and shy. I had been an admirer long before I worked in fashion, from the time when he took the industry by storm at Dior Homme between 2000 and 2007. This was an opportunity to meet one of fashion’s biggest and most elusive stars, the man who popularised the hugely influential and widely copied skinny silhouette, an aesthetic which he remains committed to up until today.

At Dior, Hedi built a devoted fan following — known as the “Slimaniacs” — that is rare for a fashion designer. Even Karl Lagerfeld famously shed his weight so he could fit into Hedi’s slim Dior Homme suits. One of my most treasured wardrobe items from that era is a beautifully cut stone grey peacoat which I bought from Browns on South Molton Street in London. They had a special selection of items in petites tailles, made for small people like me and also for a legion of female fans who wanted the Hedi look: the ultimate in haute bourgeois Parisian chic.

After years of wearing this coat, the wool is fraying a bit, but it is still in good condition. I will never throw it away. Whenever I wear it, I feel strong and confident.
Hedi and I didn’t know each other when we met that night in Los Angeles, but we had a bit of history. Five years after Hedi surprised the fashion world and left Dior Homme, he became creative and image director of Yves Saint Laurent. I had a run-in with the Saint Laurent PR team, who took a heavy-handed approach to control the narrative around Hedi’s rebranding of the historic house. As a result, both the respected fashion critic Cathy Horyn and I were banned from his first Saint Laurent show. Hedi went on to transform Saint Laurent into a billion-dollar business for Kering.

But all of that seemed to be in the past. To be invited to have dinner with Hedi was an olive branch, and an opportunity to get to know a designer I really admired. Over Caesar salad, beef brisket and post-dinner espresso and chamomile tea, we got to know each other as human beings. Throughout our conversation, Hedi was compelling, curious and engaging. We didn’t talk much about fashion, per se. We talked about life in Los Angeles, about recent work BoF had done on topics related to gender identity and disability, about surfing and Donald Trump.

As it was off the record, I can’t share much here, but suffice to say he had lots of questions and so did I. Before we knew it, two and half hours had passed. I left with quite a different impression of Hedi Slimane from the way he was portrayed in the media. I’m sure he is a challenging boss, and that his exacting standards can be exhausting, but it is these same qualities that have contributed to his undeniable success.

Hedi hasn’t done an interview in ages, since BoF contributor Laurence Benaim interviewed him for Le Figaro in 2018. He does have an Instagram account with 371 thousand followers featuring his all black and white photography, but he follows no one and hasn’t posted anything since July 2023. The perfectly architected Celine Instagram account has 7 million followers; it also follows no one. Neither account has comments enabled.

When a designer doesn’t talk, people fill that vacuum with speculation and rumour, and in some ways that can do them a disservice. It hasn’t prevented Hedi from being wildly successful, but it has prevented people from getting to know him in an age when authenticity and transparency are prized attributes, and can even be the engine for business success. For better or worse, consumer-facing fashion shows, social media and cultural marketing that reaches a diverse, global audience have become part of a creative director’s job. None of these have been a priority for Hedi.

Designers like Simon Porte Jacquemus and Jonathan Anderson have built sizable businesses on their ability to engage with fans and customers online. Simon is super engaging in person, and he has an online personality to match. This week, he shared a photo of the twins named Mia and Sun that he and his partner Marco brought into the world, showing their names written on hospital tags in all-caps on their tiny adorable wrists. At the time of writing, that one post has received 738,000 likes on Instagram. You don’t see engagement like that for almost any fashion designer.

As for Jonathan, another one of the industry’s most celebrated designers, who earlier this month was named to the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people, he created his own social media moments this week. Jonathan is perhaps better than any other designer in finding a way to balance high-fashion aesthetics with approachable marketing communications embedded in contemporary culture. He has a knack for creating recognisable fashion items using everyday moments.

Most culture watchers will not have missed the avalanche of coverage and conversation about his turn at costume design for Zendaya’s new film, “Challengers,” out this weekend. I loved the content he shared featuring “I Told Ya” emblazoned on all the film’s stars, including a charming video of Tommy Hackett playing frisbee wearing an “I Told Ya” t-shirt “now available in selected stores and on Loewe.com.” When Jonathan does this, somehow it doesn’t feel like crass marketing, and though he isn’t necessarily opening up about his personal life, he is always finding ways to engage with people.

Being a designer and creative person in fashion is exhausting, and comes with constant scrutiny about one’s work with a cacophony of anonymous people passing judgement on your collections, your ad campaigns and the way you present yourself. I can understand why some designers don’t want to engage in that way, as it can become distracting — and toxic — to constantly manage an online persona, to repeat the same answers to the same questions about where your inspiration comes from over and over, and to have to endure the digital chaos, all while churning out idea after idea, product after product and campaign after campaign.

It’s still not certain that Hedi is leaving Celine, but his departure would be a huge loss for LVMH. There’s no doubt he is an arch perfectionist, and his execution (including this week’s perfume launch and campaign) are always impeccable. But his perfectionism and his approach to communications are not a great fit for the way the fashion world is moving: real-time, digital, raw and open.
I’ll never stop wearing my Dior Homme coat, though. Hedi’s look never goes out of style.
Thank you for the article...but Imran talks about all but Hedi most of the time!

one of the sticking points in the “thorny contract negotiations” has been about Hedi’s need for control around communication and his lack of willingness to engage with the fashion media.

But if it works, why would they want to disrupt that? Sure, not having your clothes in Vogue (?) and on Vogue Runway is not ideal, but if they can still generate that kind of revenue, what's the problem? Celine is outperforming other brands in the group that push too much on communications and saturate the market to the point where the product is not desirable anymore.

Hedi's less-is-more approach to communications is something that the industry should strive for, not turn against...

....But his perfectionism and his approach to communications are not a great fit for the way the fashion world is moving: real-time, digital, raw and open.

BULL S....T!!!!!!!!!! observation on Imran's part

Simon Porte Jacquemus and Jonathan Anderson & co even with all the online engagements.... still did not build a brand in there whole life like hedi did 3 x with DIOR/SL/CELINE into Billion Dollars / Euro business, not everyone lives on social media or reads about why how or what creative directors do or think ....many buy into a brand because of a connection with the product, aesthetic, the story of the brand connected or not to a face or a person or a creative director behind it .....period !!!!

Do people know that buy well designed or luxury products care who designed the latest Bentley or Nike running shoes etc MOST don't and its fine.

This forced cycle of living online disguised as engagement or transparency and rawness is fake it just create more of a false sense of connection and community not everything has to be measured by likes to be valid or important it's just backwards not a progress for humanity.

Thank you for the article...but Imran talks about all but Hedi most of the time!
But he did him no justice the title sounds promising but then fails deeply by not showing this other side of Hedi and then he proceeds to double down to agree why it makes sense that Hedi´s way of working is not in tune with the times. LOL

Cheap and no journalistic integrity, we also don't need a bio of hedi´s past accomplishments as filler to the beef up the word count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->