Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

That and logo tees. He couldn't miss out on that money on Chinese clientele. If he did it would've been career suicide at Celine. :lol:

But he did same YSL monogram as well at Saint Laurent with less success as it was in final year if i remember well and SL was also full of commercial stuff as Dior Homme with graphic tees and denim and sneakers and soft acc with the Bee and CD

Hedi was always a commercial designer much like Karl even if their shows where directional or intentional fashion or tragedy or whatever we would like to call it.

seeing Bruno last interview ( if he is being transparent or just strategic ) they will take time to find Chanel replacement :

Bruno says : The talents of our studio worked alongside Karl Lagerfeld and then Virginie, they were the driving forces behind the collections of recent years. They represent a solid foundation, which does not necessarily mean that this foundation is capable of writing the history to come, but we are not ruling out any option. Everything will depend on the meetings we will have, the people we will approach or who have already approached us, and the way in which we will evolve in the weeks and months to come, knowing that today we have haute couture, the ready-to-wear fashion show for summer 2025 in early October, the Métiers d'art collection in December, etc.

At Chanel, it is necessary to absorb this culture to be able to make strokes of genius. If we find this person in three months, I will be delighted, if we have to wait nine months, we will wait. If in the long term, it is essential to embody the brand, we are not in an emergency that would push us to decide next month.

le firgaro

Where are your thoughts on his succession?

Bruno says :
We decided to take the time needed to properly close this chapter and find a new creative organization. What I am sure of is that the ideal system for us is not to recruit an artistic director who offers the same thing in all the houses he works for. Too many artistic directors lose the meaning of their brand. Chanel has a product that exists, a strong product, and the power of Karl and Virginie has been to continue to make it evolve, to build it using the best of the past, each with their own vision but always at the service of the house. We will never wipe the slate clean of what exists at Chanel… There is a framework, the artistic direction must operate within this framework. We can obviously change it from the inside, but certainly not blow it up…

le firgaro

Feels like he is saying this about Hedi ways of approach wont work at Chanel :-) ....then few months later its Hedi going to chanel lol

Where are your thoughts on his succession?

Bruno says :
We decided to take the time needed to properly close this chapter and find a new creative organization. What I am sure of is that the ideal system for us is not to recruit an artistic director who offers the same thing in all the houses he works for. Too many artistic directors lose the meaning of their brand. Chanel has a product that exists, a strong product, and the power of Karl and Virginie has been to continue to make it evolve, to build it using the best of the past, each with their own vision but always at the service of the house. We will never wipe the slate clean of what exists at Chanel… There is a framework, the artistic direction must operate within this framework. We can obviously change it from the inside, but certainly not blow it up…

le firgaro

Feels like he is saying this about Hedi ways of approach wont work at Chanel :-) ....then few months later its Hedi going to chanel lol
I hope the company as a whole believes in this. It would be a poor decision to let someone like Hedi in; I'm rooting for absolutely anyone else to take over.

Maybe it's time for Hedi to crawl back to Middle Eastern investors to prop up a self-named brand.

(what im referring to in the last line)

Well, I’m not NEW infact, if you’re talking about me: I just came back on The Fashion spot from years ago.

I said this many times before, but in the most ideal case, we would have Hedi Slimane, Nicolas Ghesquiere or Raf Simons fully devoting themselves to building fashion brands of their own, much like Phoebe Philo is doing now. All of these three are finding themselves now at a stagnant time in their careers, and to my understanding it is because they all have gotten a bit too greedy in the pursuit of creative director positions at LVMH or Kering at a time when those jobs come with a daft commitment to blunt commerciality and PR theatrics. Keeping a fashion brand niche and with integrity as Dior Homme, Jil Sander or Balenciaga were in the early 2000s doesn't seem to work where the focus was mainly on the sale of ambitioned fashion - We know what the business is build on today and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find clothes much like the ones we got to love from these designers in the first place.

I'm by no means a big fan of Phoebe Philo and I'm not blown away by her design, but I can see the integrity and honesty in her own brand. She shows what she sells and it happens to be what her devoted fans want. I'm not so sure how straight forward that translates with Celine, Vuitton or Prada, where the majority of sales are generated from merchandise that has little to do with what is being shown on the runway.

BOF 02 July 2024

Celine Extends Bath and Body Range​

The French fashion house is adding to its broader beauty proposition with an edit of perfumed products.

Bath and body products

More bath and body is soon coming to Celine. (Courtesy)

Fans of Celine’s fragrances will soon have more formats to enjoy them in.

Following the launch of its perfumed body oil, solid soaps and bath milk last year, Celine is launching liquid hand soaps, hand creams, body milk and hair mists in various scents later this fall.

Created by artistic director Hedi Slimane, the products feature some of the house’s signature scents: the body milk, hand soap and hand cream will be available in the Parade, La Peau Neu, Reptile and Cologne Céleste fragrances, while the hair mist will be available in the Parade, Reptile and Black Tie scents.

The move follows Celine’s recent expansion into beauty, which includes a lipstick, Rouge Triomphe, also slated for fall 2024, and a push into wellness via a Pilates collection. A more robust selection of cosmetic products will debut in January 2025.

I don’t think Hedi wants to build a brand from scratch, without the resources he’s been used to. At Celine, more than ever, it’s more about world building. It’s not really fashion. I don’t think you can afford that with a small maison.

I don’t think Hedi wants to build a brand from scratch, without the resources he’s been used to. At Celine, more than ever, it’s more about world building. It’s not really fashion. I don’t think you can afford that with a small maison.
He has commented on this before in past interviews, but I assume his opinion has changed by now.

Regardless, I think best case scenario is Hedi leaves the fashion world entirely for 5 years creates some art project like he has in the past and goes back to Dior.

My initial thought with all these 'lifestyle' products currently introduced at Celine is that it's any fashion designers worst nightmare - At least for those with integrity. What kind of message does it send when you refuse to show your faithful customers a deserved close look at the fashion but show them the latest product-you-never-asked-for instead? At this point, I have seen more of the pilates collection than I have of the men's runway collection, how can that be of Hedi's interest?

Sorry for continuously creating comments on this thread but the only thing I can agree with Hedi-stans is how beautiful Hedi-girls look whenever he photographs them.

Also, this was taken on May 2024, looks like im somewhat wrong on him leaving. Imagine if Hedi steps down as CD and instead just does all the imagery of Celine.

1720018759766.png

Sorry for continuously creating comments on this thread but the only thing I can agree with Hedi-stans is how beautiful Hedi-girls look whenever he photographs them.

Also, this was taken on May 2024, looks like im somewhat wrong on him leaving. Imagine if Hedi steps down as CD and instead just does all the imagery of Celine.

View attachment 1283578

There's nothing aspirational about the outfits he's putting on those girls! A tuxedo, a beaded evening jacket or a dress would have done the job and he did that at Saint Laurent, but what happens at Celine recently is so banal, it reads as if there's no conviction in actual high fashion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->