Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

There's nothing aspirational about the outfits he's putting on those girls! A tuxedo, a beaded evening jacket or a dress would have done the job and he did that at Saint Laurent, but what happens at Celine recently is so banal, it reads as if there's no conviction in actual high fashion...
Sorry I don't know what you mean.

I consider what he does at Celine high fashion for instance like this:
1720020356757.png

Ohh so maybe he is staying if those images are from May and the rumours started in April??? The complaints about him doing his own thing, Celine isn't really a brand that has the same kind of heritage as a Chanel or Dior. It started out as a kids made to measure shoe company then turned sportswear. Him doing a pilates collection seems out of place but it's on brand for his sporty, off duty St Tropez girl by beach vibes.

I've been looking at some pieces from Hedi's Dior and Saint Laurent on used clothing sites. He kind of uses a similar Ralph Lauren template at each brand (there's the logo polos, the rugbys, the denim, the poplin shirts, etc.) - even if it's through his rocker lens at times. His Celine more than ever exemplifies that. I would even build upon that and say that his Celine womenswear even now looks at the Brandy Melville template now because, quite frankly, this is what young wealthy girls wear. So why not give them a more expensive version of it. He really established Celine as the French RL brand and I think LVMH can use that template going forward now, which is why it'd make sense if Michael Rider, previously of Polo RL, takes the baton.

Different topic but I love how Celine and Miu Miu always share the same brand ambassadors, usually a daughter of an actress (first Ewan Mcgregor's daughter and now Milla's daughter). They always seem to be in a race for the next cool young daughter/son-of-*insert celebrity*.

There's nothing aspirational about the outfits he's putting on those girls! A tuxedo, a beaded evening jacket or a dress would have done the job and he did that at Saint Laurent, but what happens at Celine recently is so banal, it reads as if there's no conviction in actual high fashion...
Well i cant imagine anything more aspirational than a tuxedo… What do you consider aspirational though?

:-) the brand is a high fashion lifestyle brand, with that comes red carpet dressing to sportswear and casual wear (dog & home and beauty soon also wall paint :-) which i will buy as well lol ..... it's not that crazy concept, Celine original concept was luxury sports wear the french way ....for the adv´s, different drops have different focus and he does highlight also the couture side every year usually end of the year when its about festive dressing (like many brands target also this period with more dressy capsules etc.

YSL was more dressed up so we might have seen it more often Celine is more casual ...its not brain science for the clients either.

Completely agree with PDFSD, to add on I think it is easy to hyper fixate on just a collection or even a small release and ignore the universe Hedi has created in Celine. The user who is critiquing Hedi for not being High Fashion enough reminds me a lot of high-fashion twitter spaces during fashion weeks. Specifically, whenever they treat every fashion collection like it is meant to be analyzed like some physics theorem. Deciding how fashion forward the collection is, how much it is pushing boundaries.

Not all art and fashion is meant to be a new Rick Owens show.

To remain on topic, I think it's important to think of any of Hedi's collection or work in a sort of being a part of a grandeur work of art Hedi is creating and this goes for any designer.

I absolutely have my gripes with Hedi Slimane, but he is High Fashion. What's more high fashion than the Celine dog collection.........
1720048251159.png

Last edited:
that coat and shorts look isnt really high-fashion though? that is a very minimal and off-the-rack look. it is seen all over zara/cos. you cannot just adjust a word like high-fashion to your liking. theres 0 "high-fashion" elements in that look. theres no new fashion proposition at all. and no one in the forum would call the recent rick owens shows high-fashion either. they are costumes/avant-garde. a minimal but actually high fashion collection would be something like courreges. maybe you're confusing high-fashion with luxury.

that coat and shorts look isnt really high-fashion though? that is a very minimal and off-the-rack look. it is seen all over zara/cos. you cannot just adjust a word like high-fashion to your liking. theres 0 "high-fashion" elements in that look. theres no new fashion proposition at all. and no one in the forum would call the recent rick owens shows high-fashion either. they are costumes/avant-garde. a minimal but actually high fashion collection would be something like courreges. maybe you're confusing high-fashion with luxury.

I think we might be talking past each other a bit. Here are the main points from my argument that I feel weren't fully addressed:
  1. My main point was that Hedi’s collections should be viewed as part of a larger universe or grand narrative he’s creating at Celine. It's about the cohesive story and vision, not just individual pieces. This holistic approach is what makes his work high fashion, even if some pieces appear minimal.

2. I mentioned how there's a tendency to hyper-fixate on each collection as if it needs to push boundaries constantly. Fashion, like any art form, doesn’t always have to be groundbreaking to be valuable. Not every collection needs to be avant-garde like Rick Owens’ shows.

3. High fashion can encompass various styles, including minimalism. Just because a piece looks minimal or accessible doesn't mean it lacks high fashion elements. Hedi’s minimalism is a deliberate, stylistic choice that still fits within the high fashion spectrum.

4. I used the Celine dog collection because it is a funny and unique expression of his artistic vision. High fashion isn’t just about individual items but the overall narrative and lifestyle they represent.
While I understand your points about the specific look not appearing high fashion, I believe it's crucial to consider the broader context in which Hedi's work exists. High fashion isn't limited to being avant-garde; it includes a range of expressions, from the minimal to the extravagant.

And where does zara/cos get their inspo from........... :lol:

I don't expect high fashion from Hedi. It's not 2003, plus his womenswear has never been about that. He is a great creative director, but not a designer, and that's also why I don't want him at Chanel.
This is a very good comment that I missed. I think we can all agree on this thread that Hedi Slimane (even Phoebe Philo :lol:) won't ever be a designer like Schiaparelli.

But this collection (Sidenote was not a dupe to Chanel but partly a dedication to Richard Avedon) is the closest that we will see him be a designer for a couture line.

And this is where my discussion will end on this topic. Im only used to the Kpop star in Celine jeans Hedi.
1720050742288.png

Sorry I don't know what you mean.

I consider what he does at Celine high fashion for instance like this:
View attachment 1283583

The outfit chosen for that actress is as generic as could be - A logo sweatshirt and cap, the only element contrasting that being a structured handbag, otherwise it’s not too far from Abercrombie & Fitch. We can agree that every house should have a distinguishable story and product focus of it's own, but the very fact that the four runway or video presentations per year provide such little showcase of the fashion while other product lines that feel zero emblematic of Hedi Slimane's style (raffia beachbags, ugly trainers, pilates / tennis lines or dog toys) receive it to much higher proportion is quite telling as to how much importance is given to the product that should provide the most halo-effect of the brand, especially now that Celine calls itself a couture house (which in fact, it has never been).

The look you posted is a more elevated proposition - Yes, I expect Celine to launch another campaign with these clothes once the collection arrives in stores, but until then, there would have been plenty other clothes to showcase or put in a mid-season shoot like this one - A pantsuit, a nice dress (Celine is still lacking in this department) or outerwear - Something with a Hedi Slimane touch and not something that looks like a complete bow-down to the customer who buys the most nondescript products of luxury brands. This is about as banal as some of Gucci's propositions, just with better photography and art direction - But from Hedi Slimane, I expect a bit more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fs3322
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->